League Setup...first time commish - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

League Setup...first time commish

Moderator: Football Moderators

League Setup...first time commish

Postby chk57 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:33 pm

I've been playing Fantasy Football for probably 7 or 8 years now...but this is the first time I'm setting up a REAL league as commish and have a few questions I would like some opinions on.

There will be many more!

First topic: Weekly Lineups / Waivers / Free Agents

When do you think the lineup submission should be done by? Currently, I have said "Gametime" since I believe th real coaches get into gametime to finally decide who will be playing or not.

How many waiver / free agent pickups should be allowed per week? per year? I thought one per week, 5 for the year. Is this even necessary? I like the thought of some limitation instead of last place guy picking up 5 in one week.

thanks for the help. ;-D
chk57
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby koffeeboy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:39 pm

I have always been in leagues in which lineups are set as of gametime. Although most of my leagues also encourage (although not required) that they are submitted by Friday night.

Also... I would NEVER be in a league that limited transactions amounts.

If the last place team wants to drop his whole team and sign a brand new group of players, let him.

As for waivers... My main two leagues both have the same rule...

If Darius Watts is cut by a team going into week 4... he then appears on the Week 4 report the following week as having been cut. Then the Saturday prior to week 5, all teams can put a request in for him with him going to the team with the highest priority.
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby STEELtownUSA » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:40 pm

Gametime works well for our league's lineup submission. We don't have any limits on waiver wire pick ups, and I like it that way. The WW is a major part of managing your team, and I don't think it should be limited.
STEELtownUSA
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Calyxes » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:21 pm

Gametime is how it works in my leagues. I also do not like the idea of limiting the anount of players one can pick up in a year or week.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Tiki » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:22 pm

I have all players locked 5 mins. before game time. And Limiting transactions is not a very good Idea IMO. Cause you never know who will get hrut and whose gunna break-out.
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:39 pm

I've been a commish for 10-12 years now and I agree with the concensus opinion here.
Line-ups anytime prior to kick-off.

And most importantly no limit on pick-ups (drop&add).

There's nothing worse than running a league where the botton 1 or 2 or even 3 players simply give up on their team, turning in line-ups each week, etc. because they feel thay are out of it with no chance of improving.
This situation gives owners lucky enough to face these teams a "gimme". And skews the true outcome for the league.

Unlimited drop&add gives hope to the bottom teams and at least helps somewhat to avoid the disaster of abandoned teams.

My 2 cents, anyway.
~Wease
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby koffeeboy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:41 pm

We do semi-freeze rosters once a team is eliminated from playoff contention in one of my leagues.

If week 12 rolls around and you are 1-10... then you do not have waiver priority. If someone is out there that no one wants, by all means you may have him...

But one year we had a guy take advantage of the late season surges, such as Patrick Jeffers, and would use his waiver wire priority to his advantage (not that any of us using this board wouldnt do the same).
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:48 pm

I agree with the majority:

- Lock player 5 minutes before gametime: more than enough time to make a decision, plus most sites have this function

- No limit on transactions: can only cause teams to give up

- waiver wire should have a priority: based on record (worst to first) is the order you can pick up from the WW. After Tuesday or Wednesday make it a free for all on the WW.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby chk57 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:01 pm

OKAY! Thanks guys, its pretty obvious I shouldn't limit the waivers, etc...so that is out the window. Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll have more later.

Thanks.
chk57
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Jimboozie » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:30 pm

One of my teams was screwed last year by limited roster moves. Priest Holmes went down and I didnt have a roster move to pick up Larry Johnson so my team was F'ed. I didnt give up, I had to make a few trades just to fill my roster but my team was sunk during the last month cuz guys were picking up the likes of Clayton, julius jones, kj, Larry johnson, drew bennett and all I could do is watch and sob. :~(
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk