The case for Peyton Manning - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The case for Peyton Manning

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby CC » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:59 pm

I don't care if Jesus comes into the league and posts a 70 TD season, I'm not drafting a QB in the top 5.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ES03 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:59 pm

gatorman1122 wrote:Let's apply to this an actual situation. Last week, I had a draft for a 12 man keeper league. Here's the roster of the guy with the number 1 overall pick and chose Manning:

QB-Manning
RB-Dunn, Taylor, Staley
WR-C. Johnson, Wayne, Stokely, Williamson, Stallworth
TE-Heap, H. Miller

Ok....now if this team somehow manages to win this league....then I'll be a monkey's uncle

you can not say that...he obviously picked CJ/Wayne his next 2 picks, and was stupid for passing up at least 1 RB. Stupid manager.
ES03
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ES03 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:04 pm

you guys talk about mcnabb like hes a hero...last year was his first year even notable, and he only placed 30-35 pts ahead of the next QB. still 100 away from Peyton/Culpepper. IF TO holds out, which it sounds like he will, McNabbs lucky to be in the top 5...
ES03
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby CC » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:06 pm

ES03 wrote:you guys talk about mcnabb like hes a hero...last year was his first year even notable, and he only placed 30-35 pts ahead of the next QB. still 100 away from Peyton/Culpepper. IF TO holds out, which it sounds like he will, McNabbs lucky to be in the top 5...

He didn't play the last 2 or 3 weeks (I'm not sure) at all, and Manning and Culpepper both had over 40 TDs so that's still pretty impressive. I'd much rather him at the beginning of the 3rd than Manning at the beginning of the 1st.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ES03 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:18 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
ES03 wrote:you guys talk about mcnabb like hes a hero...last year was his first year even notable, and he only placed 30-35 pts ahead of the next QB. still 100 away from Peyton/Culpepper. IF TO holds out, which it sounds like he will, McNabbs lucky to be in the top 5...

He didn't play the last 2 or 3 weeks (I'm not sure) at all, and Manning and Culpepper both had over 40 TDs so that's still pretty impressive. I'd much rather him at the beginning of the 3rd than Manning at the beginning of the 1st.

You are still overrating the currently TO-less McNabb. I think he had low 20s, maybe even under 20 tds the year before last year.
Also, I think Westbrook is severely underrated, especially if TO is gone, he got 700 receiving yards last year, pretty sure it was tops in the league, and I believe he could get more if TO isn't there, but not enough to make McNabb top 5.
ES03
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:24 pm

Stupid Article wrote:2. Excellent running backs can be found later in your draft.

The current crop of running backs is as deep as it has ever been. Why? It’s simple math, really. The NFL has recently had an influx of top quality ball carriers. At the same time, the existing running backs are performing at a high level deeper into their careers.

More quality ball carriers= more RBBC= less reliable studs at the running back position
Last edited by portisfan24 on Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby koffeeboy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:29 pm

[i]2. Excellent running backs can be found later in your draft.[/i]

Either this article was written by Ricky Williams or this guy borrowed some of his hippy lettuce...
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:27 pm

maddog60 wrote:I have no doubt Manning will be the top fantasy QB this year. I think that's a given.

I don't think it's that cut and dry.

There is no doubt that Manning is the top RATED fantasy QB this year, but I have major doubts as to whether or not he ends up as the #1 when all is said and done. Sure he passes for ~4,200 yards every season, but he generally has very low rushing stats and his TD totals are usually not his strength.

He's consistent for 4,000+ and 26+ TDs year after year, but I think there are several other QBs out there that can equal/surpass that every season. And outside of McNabb and Culpepper, all the other QBs are drafted at least 3 or 4 rounds later than Manning. The potential #1 QB could be drafted in round 7 this year... I highly doubt that the potential #1 RB will be drafted in the 7th this year...
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby cardiac cats » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:59 pm

All you guys saying you would never draft peyton with your 1st pick and that you can pick up Mcnabb 2 or 3 rounds later and be fine with it yada yada yada, just need to stop it... sure that COULD happen, but it just depends on the type of league your in. It would be best if you clarify the type of league your in or posting about. ;-D In my league we start 2 QB's and passing TD's are worth 6 pts.(and by the way, did I just miss the boat on this? Is it standard to just start 1 Qb in most leagues and what are Td's usually worth?) so picking peyton is a very safe and good option. If any of you guys really know football, then you know that peyton is a beast and will EASILY put up at least 30 tds- which is my lowest estimate- and around 4,000 yds.
In our league we had a rookie fantasy football player take peyton with his 1st pick(6th overall) last year, and guess what? He finished 3rd overall... it's obvious that peyton's consistent and great numbers helped him achieve that goal. So IMO, definately consider peyton as the #1 overall, although my judgment is certainly skewed because I play in a 2 Qb league.
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:40 am

cardiac cats wrote:All you guys saying you would never draft peyton with your 1st pick and that you can pick up Mcnabb 2 or 3 rounds later and be fine with it yada yada yada, just need to stop it... sure that COULD happen, but it just depends on the type of league your in. It would be best if you clarify the type of league your in or posting about. ;-D In my league we start 2 QB's and passing TD's are worth 6 pts.(and by the way, did I just miss the boat on this? Is it standard to just start 1 Qb in most leagues and what are Td's usually worth?) so picking peyton is a very safe and good option. If any of you guys really know football, then you know that peyton is a beast and will EASILY put up at least 30 tds- which is my lowest estimate- and around 4,000 yds.
In our league we had a rookie fantasy football player take peyton with his 1st pick(6th overall) last year, and guess what? He finished 3rd overall... it's obvious that peyton's consistent and great numbers helped him achieve that goal. So IMO, definately consider peyton as the #1 overall, although my judgment is certainly skewed because I play in a 2 Qb league.

1QB is kinda standard these days (if there is such a thing as standard).

Last yr was the 2nd time in his career he broke 30 TDs - but thats your lowest estimate?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk