Moderator: Football Moderators

Rosenhaus responds to Favre

Postby Calyxes » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:49 am

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jul05/340885.asp

The link is not working now. :-?

By TOM SILVERSTEIN
mailto:tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: July 13, 2005
After another round of disparaging remarks from quarterback Brett Favre regarding Green Bay Packers teammate Javon Walker's holdout, Walker's agent suggested that Favre should call him so they can discuss the situation.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus is upset with the recent comments Brett Favre has made about Rosenhaus' clients possibly holding out of training camp.

Drew Rosenhaus said Wednesday that he was bothered by Favre's most recent comments, which were made this week during interviews with several ESPN-sponsored programs. In addition to taking Walker to task for skipping the Packers' mandatory minicamp in April, he reiterated his position that the wide receiver is not doing himself any favors in the locker room with his current stance.

"I wish he would call me so we could talk and I could let him know the facts," Rosenhaus said. "I think there are a lot of things he doesn't know about our situation. There are a lot of things he needs to know."

Some of the remarks Favre made were aimed at Rosenhaus, who has signed on some of the NFL's top players and in some cases is threatening a holdout.

Rosenhaus defended Walker's decision to skip minicamp and said that his client would have attended if the Packers had given him some kind of assurance they would address his contract situation in the near future. He said the Packers refused to even consider it.

The agent said it was very important to Walker that people know he would have come in if the Packers had given him their word they would discuss a new deal at some point this season. He said he approached them on behalf of Walker in February to get the ball rolling on a new deal but has gotten nowhere.

Rosenhaus said the Packers have not been amenable to doing anything toward upgrading Walker's contract this season. He said a decision on whether Walker would report for training camp in two weeks hadn't been made.

Rosenhaus said it was completely untrue that Walker sprang his contract demands on the Packers at the last minute and then kept them in the dark in regard to whether he would attend the mandatory minicamp.

Favre didn't attack Rosenhaus directly regarding his handling of Walker, but he did knock his tactics and said holding out was akin to turning your back on your teammates.

"I'd hate to walk into the locker room every day and know I turned my back on the players," Favre said on the ESPN show "Cold Pizza." "Ultimately the player has to make a decision. The agent can make a recommendation, but you can say yeah or no.

"If you're going to listen to your agent and let him tell you everything and you go by it, I mean, you have to step up for yourself and your team. The money is out there to be had. When a contract is signed you understand that if you play well, maybe in time they'll renegotiate."

Walker, who has two years remaining on the five-year deal he signed as a rookie in 2001, is scheduled to make a base salary of $515,000 this season. Last year he made the Pro Bowl for the first time, leading the Packers with 89 receptions for 1,328 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Hawkins signs: The Green Bay Packers announced that they had signed cornerback Mike Hawkins, their second of two fifth-round choices in the draft.

Hawkins is the fifth of the Packers' 11 picks to have signed a contract.

Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby STEELtownUSA » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:59 am

Rosenhaus is ruining the NFL. I'm sick of these ridiculos holdouts (ie: TO and Walker) Lets go back to the old days without free agency and greedy players. Sadly we won't have Favre after this season to combat players like Walker.
STEELtownUSA
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:29 am

STEELtownUSA wrote: Sadly we won't have Favre after this season to combat players like Walker.

What are you saying? You're missing a vital piece to this puzzle. Favre is wrong here. He is a player. It is not his place to criticise teammates for contract issues. Let's remember that Favre (I believe) has never earned as little as Pro-bowler Javon Walker. What do you suppose the other players on the team think about Favre's stance? Do you think if Walker loses his battle that other players are going to shake Favre's hand and say attaboy? They'll want to kill him because the chance of them winning their next contract squabble just got hurt. Favre is, for no other reason than his love of the mic and loss of perspective, saying "Javon doesn't deserve to get more money" What???? Who the Favre are you. Bret?

"The money is out there to be had. When a contract is signed you understand that if you play well, maybe in time they'll renegotiate." Cheesus, Favre, are you that naive? And maybe between that time and now Walker won't have a career ending injury and never realize the money his talent merits.

"I'd hate to walk into the locker room every day and know I turned my back on the players," Favre said. Too late for that Benedict Favrer, you already have. Instead of marching into the front office and saying "Give the man the money he is worth so we can concentrate on winning" You chose to side with management. Hypocrit.

So easy to be selfless when you have already been paid, Bret.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:54 am

While I totally disagree with the tactic of holding out, I can see where Walker might be a little annoyed at the fact that the Packers will not even discuss upping his salary.... I mean, think about it.... NFL athletes typically have spent their lives from 10 years old on preparing for the 10 years or so that they have to make the big bucks in the NFL, and when those 10-15 years are over, they're over.... It has got to suck for Walker to sit down and look at the fact that he's going to spend half his viable career working for a little over the league minimum, despite the fact that he is performing to the same level as the league's elite....

And then consider the fact that those 10 years you have to make all the money you will need for the rest of your life can EASILY be cut short in the blink of an eye due to injury.... And then what happens to you? Do you think the Packers are going to say, "Sorry you got hurt, Javon, here's that $12-million you deserve for being such a kick ass WR the past few years?" No, of course not.... If he shreds an achilles next year and can't play anymore, he gets fired.... Period.... His career is finished, he's not qualified to do very much else but coach high school football, and he's fired just that quick....

I mean, come on, if you were a pro-bowl NFL receiver, wouldn't it burn your ass just a little bit, when you realized that James Thrash made over three times as much money as you did during your Pro-Bowl season?

Now, I'm not saying that the guy should hold out.... I'm just saying that it's pretty easy for Brett Favre, who made $8.5-million last year, and DIDN'T go to the Pro-Bowl, to sit there and call Walker a traitor because he's a little upset that he made $392,000 last year, and DID go to the Pro-Bowl...

See, this is why I think Walker is well within his rights to bitch, but Terrell Owens needs to get the Nancy Kerrigan treatment.... Owens made over $9-million last year.... He has absolutely no right to bitch.... He was arguably the best (or second best) NFL WR, and he made the second most money.... Even though he only played half a season....

Walker, on the other hand, was a top 5 receiver, and he made one of the lowest salaries in the NFL.... And now the Packers won't even talk about addressing the situation.... You would think they would hook a brother up.... Let's look at some of the WR's who made more money than Javon Walker last year:

Reginald Swinton - DET
R Jay Soward - JAX
Bryan Gilmore - MIA
Troy Walters - IND
Alex Bannister - SEA
Frisman Jackson - CLE
Carlos Francis - OAK

etc.... etc.... etc....

If you're sitting there reading that list, and saying "Who the hell is that?" Just imagine how Javon Walker must feel.....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:59 am

moochman wrote:Favre (I believe) has never earned as little as Pro-bowler Javon Walker.

I'm sure he remembers the size of the paychecks he got when he was a backup in ATL

Regardless, contracts aren't guarenteed. There's a thread of validity when players are being underpayed versus performance.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:05 pm

I personally think if a player signs a contract then he should adhere to it. If you think you are gonn be a top notch player in two years then dont sign a long term deal when you arent.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Boozer » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:08 pm

I think Rosenhaus is a dirty agent and I agree with the fact that he is ruining the NFL.
Boozer
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:12 pm

Boozer wrote:I think Rosenhaus is a dirty agent and I agree with the fact that he is ruining the NFL.

When it comes to clients like Terrell Owens, I agree with you, but Javon Walker has a legitimate gripe....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby STEELtownUSA » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:19 pm

moochman wrote:
STEELtownUSA wrote: Sadly we won't have Favre after this season to combat players like Walker.

Favre is wrong here. He is a player. It is not his place to criticise teammates for contract issues.

It is Favre's place to criticise teammates for contract issues because, it's hurting his team. Instead of Favre getting his timing down with Javon before the season, Walker wil be sitting around doing nothing to better the team. Favre just wants to make sure that he and Javon are going to be ready to hook up for his final season.
STEELtownUSA
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:33 pm

STEELtownUSA wrote:
moochman wrote:

Favre is wrong here. He is a player. It is not his place to criticise teammates for contract issues.

It is Favre's place to criticise teammates for contract issues because, it's hurting his team. Instead of Favre getting his timing down with Javon before the season, Walker wil be sitting around doing nothing to better the team. Favre just wants to make sure that he and Javon are going to be ready to hook up for his final season.

Sounds to me like Favre needs to take his gripe to the front office, then.... He needs to start asking the guys with the checkbooks why the hell they think they can pay a Pro-Bowl WR the league minimum....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Football Talk