Rosenhaus responds to Favre - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rosenhaus responds to Favre

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:23 am

Ok, I've seen two replies recently by people claiming Jevon is wrong to hold out. In both they've claimed that if Jevon plays wells for another year, the Packers front office will pay him the big bucks.

That is the most ridiculous statement on this thread. I highly doubt either claim was made with insider knowledge. And since Jevon has led the team for 2 years in receiving and they wont consider renegotiating his contract, why would they both if he leads the team in receiving again? What is the difference between 2 and 3 years to them?

Especially if he's some 3rd round replaceable player that is benefitting from having Favre as his QB. When Favre retires (likely after this year) and Rodgers takes over, Jevon wouldn't be worth all that money? Or maybe they front office would like to see how he performs with their new QB before giving him serious money. But that would mean that he plays out his original contract without them ever paying him his due.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Juhlz » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:55 pm

[quote="maddog60"]Ok, I've seen two replies recently by people claiming Jevon is wrong to hold out. In both they've claimed that if Jevon plays wells for another year, the Packers front office will pay him the big bucks.

That is the most ridiculous statement on this thread. I highly doubt either claim was made with insider knowledge. And since Jevon has led the team for 2 years in receiving and they wont consider renegotiating his contract, why would they both if he leads the team in receiving again? What is the difference between 2 and 3 years to them?
quote]

You may want to check your facts. Javon has only started 17 games in 3 seasons. He lead the team in 2003 with 42 catches and 742 yards - It's not ridiculous to speculate that he could earn a bigger contract after another good year. In this age of me first, show me the money it's sad to hear others jump on his side and say he deserves MORE money. Besides, one more point, WHERE was he in the play-offs when it really counted? 2 catches for 27 yards!
"Gunga la gunga...which means on your deathbed you will receive full consciousness, so I got that going for me." Bill
Juhlz
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:14 pm

Juhlz wrote:Besides, one more point, WHERE was he in the play-offs when it really counted? 2 catches for 27 yards!

So you're going to judge how good he really is off of one game? That's a horrible sample size. Even looking at that game, he got thrown to a total of 6 times. Of those 4 he didnt get a reception for:

One was a defended pass (sounds like a bad read by Favre to me)
One was incomplete (no defense, we'll have to assume Walker dropped it)
One was intercepted (usually the QB's fault)
The last one was caught for a TD, but Favre stepped over the line of scrimmage, negating the throw. (we know who's fault that is)

Speaking of not showing up in the post-season...

In the past 3 years of Packers post-season Brett Favre has 83 completions on 141 attempts for 957 yards 5 TDs, 7 INTs and one lost fumble. That's a horrific 70.55 QB Rating for the Green Bay legend.

While in those same games Walker has averaged 71.5 yards per game on 3.25 catches a game.

So really, if playoff performance should have any bearing on contracts, Favre should be asked to take a cut so the team can easily pay Walker fairly.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:30 pm

Amazing that no one says a word about Richard Seymour, You know the pro-bowl D-lineman in New England who is underpaid due to a rookie contract and is holding out.

When and if Seymour were to play for New England in 2005, when it came time to pay the bill in 2006 what do you guys predict would happen?
----

I guess Seymour doesn't get the press because its common knowledge that his ass is on the curb after the season if he asks for his big payday.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby AZDawg » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:19 pm

I am not going to dive in too much more on the Javon part of this thread, since I think arguing for a guy who makes $500K to make $4 mil is ridiculous. Play for the contract, or don't be in football. For those who attack Farve, I have to disagree. He is the leader of the team...remember that thing, the TEAM? The reason that Javon and TO and all the other guys who make all their money are able to do so? I know I am very niave with this point, but as leader of the team, I respect Brett for going out and taking his shots. You see the guys who call Farve treasonous for calling out his teammate, but to be honest, what is Farve doing that Javon is not? For Farve to be successful, he needs Javon on the field. Brett is a better player when Javon is there. If Javon is not there, Brett will have less opporutnity to be successful, which makes GB suck even more than they likely will this year. If those in here who think Javon is right in holding out because he is looking out for number one, how do you fault Farve for watching his own a**? I dont think Farve's success to this point should be brought in to the argument, because I am sure that he was not exactly bringing in bank when he was a back-up. And you say everyone else in the locker room is behind Javon and hopes he wins, I don't think that is necessarily true. If he holds out, it makes everyone elses job harder. Brett needs more time to look for a receiver, which causes the o-line to work longer and the rb's to stay in to block. When the team is not able to score because they lose their best receiver, that puts more pressure on the weak D which will already be challenged this year. So why does that help the team? Don't bring up the point that this should help Javon in his holdout, that is not what I am saying. Brett is looking out for the team, and I wish more players would get on one another about this holdout sh*t. It's sad to see every sport crumble as individuals dominate the scene and the reason they are where they are, the TEAM, is forgotten. Just my 3 cents.
AZDawg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby awwchrist » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:31 pm

Paragraphs are your friend. You could have the most concise opinion, documented, hell...you could have said who shot JFK.

I would never know it. Cause 18 lines without proper spacing or a break is freakin ridiculous.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:02 pm

AZDawg wrote:I shot JFK
:-b ;-)
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AZDawg » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:10 pm

Good point aww, I actually noticed how sh*tty that looked once I posted it. Let's try this again:

I am not going to dive in too much more on the Javon part of this thread, since I think arguing for a guy who makes $500K to make $4 mil is ridiculous. Play for the contract, or don't be in football.
For those who attack Farve, I have to disagree. He is the leader of the team...remember that thing, the TEAM? The reason that Javon and TO and all the other guys who make all their money are able to do so? I know I am very niave with this point, but as leader of the team, I respect Brett for going out and taking his shots.
You see the guys who call Farve treasonous for calling out his teammate, but to be honest, what is Farve doing that Javon is not? For Farve to be successful, he needs Javon on the field. Brett is a better player when Javon is there. If Javon is not there, Brett will have less opportunity to be successful, which makes GB suck even more than they likely will this year.
If those in here who think Javon is right in holding out because he is looking out for number one, how do you fault Farve for watching his own a**? I dont think Farve's success to this point should be brought in to the argument, because I am sure that he was not exactly bringing in bank when he was a back-up.
And you say everyone else in the locker room is behind Javon and hopes he wins, I don't think that is necessarily true. If he holds out, it makes everyone elses job harder. Brett needs more time to look for a receiver, which causes the o-line to work longer and the rb's to stay in to block. When the team is not able to score because they lose their best receiver, that puts more pressure on the weak D which will already be challenged this year. So why does that help the team?
Don't bring up the point that this should help Javon in his holdout, that is not what I am saying. Brett is looking out for the team, and I wish more players would get on one another about this holdout sh*t. It's sad to see every sport crumble as individuals dominate the scene and the reason they are where they are, the TEAM, is forgotten. Just my 3 cents.
AZDawg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Juhlz » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:11 pm

maddog60 wrote:
Juhlz wrote:Besides, one more point, WHERE was he in the play-offs when it really counted? 2 catches for 27 yards!

So you're going to judge how good he really is off of one game? That's a horrible sample size. Even looking at that game, he got thrown to a total of 6 times. Of those 4 he didnt get a reception for:

One was a defended pass (sounds like a bad read by Favre to me)
One was incomplete (no defense, we'll have to assume Walker dropped it)
One was intercepted (usually the QB's fault)
The last one was caught for a TD, but Favre stepped over the line of scrimmage, negating the throw. (we know who's fault that is)

Speaking of not showing up in the post-season...

In the past 3 years of Packers post-season Brett Favre has 83 completions on 141 attempts for 957 yards 5 TDs, 7 INTs and one lost fumble. That's a horrific 70.55 QB Rating for the Green Bay legend.

While in those same games Walker has averaged 71.5 yards per game on 3.25 catches a game.

So really, if playoff performance should have any bearing on contracts, Favre should be asked to take a cut so the team can easily pay Walker fairly.

please, you are dissing one of the greatest QB's ever. (Show some respect) and arguing for a one year star - what is wrong with this picture?????
"Gunga la gunga...which means on your deathbed you will receive full consciousness, so I got that going for me." Bill
Juhlz
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:41 am

farve is one of the best qb's ever.

your point is again?

He is awesome and a legend. He is also one of those guys who is an a- b+ comapared tot he other legends. the guy makes some utterly stupid decisions sometimes.

In this debate I have argued against TO, but I think javon has a point. he is a luxury for farve at this point, not the other way around.

Farve is indeed a legend, but of the legends I can't think ofa guy who has as many meltdowns as that guy. he throws some dumb passes. And his little shuttle pass move to avoid getting sacked is priceless. lets not get started on his dive for strahan. and 4-26 aside, it was his dumb ass heave that dawkins picked off that let the eagles back into the game. Every time I watch him, his picks always are on my mind.

Break it downs tatsically, I don't care. I have watched enough of farve to know he is prime to just chuck one up there. He does great things with his skills, but I don't think anyone can deny that he totally gives them up.

I think he is a hall of famer, but really, all someone like donovan has to do is win one (or peyton) and they are same breath imo. Peyton has the stats. donovan the team based success.

People who worship at his ground are a tad silly. Better quarterbacks have preceeded him, and better ones are following him.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk