Thoughts on Roy Williams - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thoughts on Roy Williams

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thoughts on Roy Williams

Postby Juhlz » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:52 pm

I like Roy to finish in the top 5 Wr's this season. He has a strong supporting cast and if/when Harrington is supplanted by Garcia, his value jumps up even more. Currently, I feel he is ranked lower than some of the elite because of his bottom line numbers from last season but he exploded out of the gates but then was injured. 4 td's and 200+ yards in the first 2 games is very promising. Would you take him over Javon Walker or Joe Horn(which is what I did)? I feel somewhat comfortable with this decision - no guts no glory sort of thing. I know they are both safer picks because of past production but feel that he will surpass both in production this season.
Juhlz
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benm3218 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:11 pm

over Javon yes. Over Horn no. Horn is proven and dependable and should be better this year.
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:14 pm

Actually I think Roy is overrated right now and unless he falls a good couple rds in my drafts I doubt I would draft him.

Dont get me wrong - Roy is suprememly talented. His performance last yr was breathtaking at times. Some of his acrobatic catches would leave anyone watching slackjawed. You should see his behind the back, one handed grab form the spring workouts - unbelievable. But he is overrated in fantasy terms.

Why is he overrated? Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Kevin Johnson, Marcus Pollard, and Kevin Jones. All of them will affect Roy's production.

Roy only scored 3 TDs last yr once KJones became the fulltime RB in week 10.

Id much rather have CRogers in the 10th rd or later than spend a 5th rd pick on Roy.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Juhlz » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:26 pm

benm3218 wrote:over Javon yes. Over Horn no. Horn is proven and dependable and should be better this year.

I had already drafted Deuce so that played a big part in passing on Horn...I'm a little uncertain as to the direction the Saints will go this season as Haslett has said they will focus more on getting Deuce the ball. I like Horn a lot anyway just not enough to have 2 Saints starting.
"Gunga la gunga...which means on your deathbed you will receive full consciousness, so I got that going for me." Bill
Juhlz
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:04 pm

I like him for 1000-1200 yards and 6-8, maybe even more yards if Garcia supplants Harrington before the season.

That being said, he's still going a little too high, and he's not replacing TO, Moss, CJ, Holt, or Harrison.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:08 pm

I personally think Charles Rogers is the better WR both in terms of talent and fantasy value. Rogers is the value, Roy is the hype.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby LionsTim » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:14 pm

What the heck is so great about Jeff Garcia? Did you guys watch any Browns games last year? Didn't he have some game where he had something like 20 yards passing? That may not be true, but come on! Harrington has been erratic at times, but so has our pass catching. He has continually improved, and there is no reason to think he won't keep improving. He is a smart guy and he has the arm. Now he has the tools. And you can read Marcus Pollard's comments from this spring about leadership. It doesn't always have to be square on the QB to lead a team downfield. So, enough with the "when Garcia gets in there he's gonna be tearin' it up" talk and realize that he was done in San Fran, he's just better than McMoron and Detmer, who I believe tied the record for int's in a game.
Get your gym shoes on!
LionsTim
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Tiki » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:22 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I personally think Charles Rogers is the better WR both in terms of talent and fantasy value. Rogers is the value, Roy is the hype.
I completely agree here! Roy made some amazing catching and had some good games, but I still think Rogers is better and will have a better year
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Juhlz » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:24 pm

About Garcia, it's just that he knows Mooch and his system which is a plus. I think that is where all the talk is coming from. Maybe I'll snatch Rogers of the waiver wire to hedge my bet. My expectations are higher for Roy. I predict 1200 and 11 td's. He's a big redzone target, has other good Wr's to keep db's honest and KJ to sell the run.
Last edited by Juhlz on Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Gunga la gunga...which means on your deathbed you will receive full consciousness, so I got that going for me." Bill
Juhlz
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:25 pm

relax my Lions bretheren. Let them believe what they want to believe. I actually think Maddog says that just to get a rise out of some of the Lions fans - at least I give him credit for being smarter than that - maybe he really does believe it. :-?

Anyway - yeah, Garcia really could be done - at least thats the rumor from people who have seen him throw this summer. Personally I really wish we would have signed Brad Johnson instead - but then again Garcia is Mooch's old QB so he probably knows the offense pretty well (then again, we did get a new OC, so who knows).
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk