Thoughts on Roy Williams - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thoughts on Roy Williams

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:27 pm

LionsTim wrote:What the heck is so great about Jeff Garcia?

Ok, first off, I have no intention of side tracking this into another Harrington thread, so I'm gonna explain my reasoning that Roy's number's go up with Garcia in 16 games and I'm done arguing Detroit QBs

I like Garcia for two reasons. 1) I have no faith in Harrington that he'll ever be a good QB. 2) It was long ago that Garcia was a top 5 fantasy QB, back when Mooch was his coach in SF.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:30 pm

Juhlz wrote:About Garcia, it's just that he knows Mooch and his system which is a plus. I think that is where all the talk is coming from. Maybe I'll snatch Rogers of the wiaver wire to hedge my bet. But my expectations are higher for Roy. I predict 1200 and 11 td's. He's a big redzone target, has Other good Wr's to keep db's honest and KJ to sell the run.

If Rogers is lable on your WW it would be a wise move to go and place him on your bench.

CRog is a big redzone target too - then again, Pollard has always been a great redzone target - and dont forget KJones who was quite good in goalline situations - and then there's Mike Williams who is probably the single biggest redzone target on the team...

The point is - you really need to temper your expectations for Roy because all these guys are elite players - so going after the highest priced one isnt the smartest move.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:55 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Juhlz wrote:About Garcia, it's just that he knows Mooch and his system which is a plus. I think that is where all the talk is coming from. Maybe I'll snatch Rogers of the wiaver wire to hedge my bet. But my expectations are higher for Roy. I predict 1200 and 11 td's. He's a big redzone target, has Other good Wr's to keep db's honest and KJ to sell the run.

If Rogers is lable on your WW it would be a wise move to go and place him on your bench.

CRog is a big redzone target too - then again, Pollard has always been a great redzone target - and dont forget KJones who was quite good in goalline situations - and then there's Mike Williams who is probably the single biggest redzone target on the team...

The point is - you really need to temper your expectations for Roy because all these guys are elite players - so going after the highest priced one isnt the smartest move.

This is an 8 team league? Why is Rogers on the WW? Even in an 8 man league I have a hard time believing someone didn't take a shot as their last pick and stash this guy. Hell yeah pick him up! I know he has a terrible injury history, but he's still worth lining up on an NFL team, he should be good enough to sit on a FF team's bench.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Santacruzer » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:46 am

I don't think Roy will be a top 5 WR either. Whether or not it's CRog, or Big Mike, or even Roy that will have the best year, Roy is going far too early for a guy who has that much competition for the ball.

Roy played last year without any of those other WRs.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Santacruzer » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:49 am

I also find it strange that it's mostly Lions fans that are leery of taking Roy that early. :-?
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby maddog60 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:55 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:relax my Lions bretheren. Let them believe what they want to believe. I actually think Maddog says that just to get a rise out of some of the Lions fans - at least I give him credit for being smarter than that - maybe he really does believe it. :-?

You give me too much credit. :-B
I really just believe Harrington will be a bust. But please, don't mistake my dislike of Harrington for dislike of the Lions. They've been my darkhorse playoff pick for this upcoming season for awhile, and I really do have high hopes for some of their oft overlooked younger players (Teddy Lehman for example).
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MadScott » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:36 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Actually I think Roy is overrated right now and unless he falls a good couple rds in my drafts I doubt I would draft him.

Dont get me wrong - Roy is suprememly talented. His performance last yr was breathtaking at times. Some of his acrobatic catches would leave anyone watching slackjawed. You should see his behind the back, one handed grab form the spring workouts - unbelievable. But he is overrated in fantasy terms.

Why is he overrated? Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Kevin Johnson, Marcus Pollard, and Kevin Jones. All of them will affect Roy's production.

Roy only scored 3 TDs last yr once KJones became the fulltime RB in week 10.

Id much rather have CRogers in the 10th rd or later than spend a 5th rd pick on Roy.

I find this interesting CM. I agree, I think Roy is a bit of stretch at where he's being drafted this year. I think most of that is due to the uncertain nature of Charles Rogers and Mike Williams unknown status as a rookie. If all offensive weapons are healthy, I simply can't see how his production wouldn't be affected.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Shader » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:12 am

I personally wouldn't touch any of these receivers before the 7th round.

Mike Williams & Charles Rogers will get a TON of looks.

I think Roy Williams will have some huge games, and than some games where he gets you NOTHING.

Also MW is going to steal a ton of red zone opportunities as I think he'll be the best red zone receiver besides Moss.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Juhlz » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:35 am

Wow, not exactly patting Roy on the ass on his way out of the huddle are we fellas. Detractors who are Lions fans are particularly disturbing. Anyway, thanks for the input. I'll try and let him fall a little further next draft.
Bottom line, being a high school receiver coach myself, playbooks are heavily weighted toward the #1 receiver in the passing game. Roy will have MOST of the passing plays designed for him. The strong supporting cast should keep the double teams off of Roy. Now, we know rookie receivers rarely, sans Moss, make an impact and Charles is a supreme talent but hasn't played a full season. So, anyway, my glass is half full I hope it doesn't spill all over me.
"Gunga la gunga...which means on your deathbed you will receive full consciousness, so I got that going for me." Bill
Juhlz
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:37 am

Roy is over-valued, methinks. Those waiting to draft in late Aug. will have a better grasp on how he will be used. There are so many variables in the Lions O.
Can Harrington lead a consistantly high powered passing O?
Will Rogers stay healthy? His presence changes everything as he could regain #1 WR status.
What will BMW do? The man is a huge redzone target with great hands and receiving skills. Could steal TDs from all.
How many looks will Pollard steal? He could become Bloey's pacifier. He knows how to get open and Bloey could start to target him as his check down guy. And TEs with any skill are deadly redzone targets.

Way too many ?s for me to take Roy as high as he has been going.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk