Thoughts on Braylon Edwards - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thoughts on Braylon Edwards

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thoughts on Braylon Edwards

Postby steelerfan04 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:53 pm

Although he has all the tools and potential to be an excellent NFL (and fantasy)WR, being in Cleveland worries me. There have been no really productive fantasy players ever in Cleveland and right now Dilfer is the QB. What round do you see him going in in a keeper leagues?
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Supernick » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:00 pm

i don't know, but i would pick williamson over him in dynatsy leagues.
Supernick
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby koffeeboy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:03 pm

I feel fairly comfortable having him as my # 3 WR in a 14 team league.

I would prefer someone a little more experienced, but I too, am in a keeper league... so he has more value than Givens, Houshmanzadeh, McCardell and Galloway (who I have ranked around him).

Cleveland has a lot of offensive weapons now... and a better line. Maybe they will surprise a bit.
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Vick 4 Mayor » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:22 pm

it depends on how deep the keeper league is. if you keep anything less than about 6 players, i wouldnt take him until the end of the draft. if you keep more than 6, id probably take him in the 6th or 7th round.
Vick 4 Mayor
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby RayVins » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:19 pm

i would not take any of this year's rookie WRs...

braylon edwards- lost in a new offensive scheme in CLE and not a sure starter yet. also has dropping problems.

troy williamson- if he has any sucess it will be because he is a product of the system. he isnt that great of a WR, just fast.

mark clayton- a WR in the untested and recently ineffective BAL pass game.

matt jones- a true freak but untested at WR and not a sure starter in JAC.
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:43 pm

I don't think edwards will have much fantasy value until his 3rd year, but I do believe he's got excellent talent and potential. This year he's going to probably switch 6-10 games inot the season from Dilfer to Frye as his QB. Switching QBs is not the best way to develop an NFL WR. Next year he either gets passes from Frye or someone entirely new. So I think he'll be a conventional 3rd year breakout, having settled into a timing pattern with a steady QB by then.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:49 am

He is a very gifted athlete with impressive skills - he will definitely be a good one (someday) but the situation in Cle definitely brings his value down considerably - that said, I have grabbed him in a few drafts where no one else seems interested and I can get him in the final few rounds when I'm already set with my WR's.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)

Postby tanner » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:34 am

Lets put it this way, who else in Cleveland is gonna catch balls this year? they haven't got anyone worth mentioning..their running game is suspect, Drougns is a bust, and Lee Suggs can't stay healthy. Moe Carthon is offensive coordinator after being a longtime Parcells assistant..he'll sprinkle a few deep passes into every game just like Dallas does..
to move the chains without a running game you'll need a solid WR...
he should be decent, say 55-60 catches?
tanner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby VaderFin » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:09 am

While I agree with the who else is going to catch the ball opinion I must ask this...who is going to throw the ball? Trent Dilfer? Ow. Edwards will be lucky to sniff 800 yards and 5 Tds.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Keyser_WV » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:28 am

tanner wrote:Lets put it this way, who else in Cleveland is gonna catch balls this year? they haven't got anyone worth mentioning..their running game is suspect, Drougns is a bust, and Lee Suggs can't stay healthy. Moe Carthon is offensive coordinator after being a longtime Parcells assistant..he'll sprinkle a few deep passes into every game just like Dallas does..
to move the chains without a running game you'll need a solid WR...
he should be decent, say 55-60 catches?

They did get Antonio Bryant in that Dallas trade last year. I think he has some potential.

Not that either one will produce big fantasy numbers but I think Bryant and Edwards could be #3 WR's in 12+ team leagues.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk