Fifth best fantasy player... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fifth best fantasy player...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fifth best fantasy player...

Postby Warpigs » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:05 pm

I've consistently seen L. Tomlinson, Priest Holmes and Shaun Alexander as the top three in drafts. Throw Peyton Manning in at fourth for most people, and I think the next step can be pretty interesting. Everyone from Jamal Lewis to Deuce McAllister to Edge have been crammed into this spot. I'm not specifically asking who people would draft at No. 5 -- but I think that a good discussion could come from wondering who the fifth best fantasy producer will be in 2005 considering how wide open the competition is here...
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flockers » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:13 pm

I believe that it is Edgerrin James. With the Colts ariel assault, teams can't stack the line. With Peyton's audibles, Indy's offensive line, and the players around James, he's the fifth best fantasy player in my mind.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Warpigs » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:18 pm

Flockers wrote:I believe that it is Edgerrin James. With the Colts ariel assault, teams can't stack the line. With Peyton's audibles, Indy's offensive line, and the players around James, he's the fifth best fantasy player in my mind.

See, I'm leary of James myself BECAUSE of the Indy passing game. While I don't see Peyton throwing as many TDs this season -- it did work for most games for Manning to sling it into the endzone. I don't think they'll fix something that isn't clearly broken and I think that Edge will continue to struggle getting TD stats.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:20 pm

Things get REALLY hairy after the top 3 this year, which is why I tend to think that the 4 and 5 spots are the worst this year, because there is no consensus pick at those points. At 4 you could get lucky if someone in the top 3 goes Manning, but outside of that your hosed.

I don't like Edge as the #4 RB at all, I've stated my reasons why in seperate posts about him, but I don't think he finishes top 8 this year.

For me it really comes down to Deuce and Jamal, and if I had to pick right now with Priest, LT, and SA off the board I would most likely go with Deuce over Jamal.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:06 pm

Ya I wouldnt want to draft 5th this year. I think I might have to go with Jamal over Deuce and Edge.

by the way, whatever happened to Mcgahee being a top 5 pick? I swear half the people on this board were in love with him like 2 months ago.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aussieboy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:57 pm

Sorry I don't understand what you mean, by "best fantasy player". Do you mean who is going to score the 5th most points, or who would you draft at #5?

If you're talking about the 5th highest point producer it's likely to be a QB.

As for who i'd draft at #5, considering that after the very elite RBs, the RB pool runs relatively deep, i'd be tempted to take Randy Moss.

I personally think he will have a monster year. In 2003, Randy Moss finished 6th in total fantasy points. Considering that drafting strategy is evolving from drafting RB RB to drafting BAP (best available player), resulting in more and more QBs and WR drafted in the first two rounds, i'd be confident that I can still get a solid RB by the mid second round.

If I was gonna take a RB though, it would def be Edge.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:01 pm

I was wondering that too Portis :-? Personally, I like Edge or Jamal here, giving the nod to Jailbird ;-D
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

#5 Pick

Postby kvnhbbrd » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:53 pm

Okay,

#5 fantasy player is: Edgerrin James
Good luck and high scores
kvnhbbrd
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby someone25 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:36 am

aussieboy got to what I was wanting to make.

Why not Randy Moss?

This is why I think Randy Moss will be the 5th best fantasy football player in 2005:

- Jerry Porter ... he should be drawing the corners and safeties like "flies," which in turn will give Moss opportunities to make plays.

- Kerry Collins ... since he's no Culpepper, we won't have to worry about him rushing. Instead, he'll be passing most as he usual does. Collins passed for 4000 yards in 2002 and that was with Amani Toomer as his #1! Just think what he could do with Moss as his #1!!

- LaMont Jordan ... the linebackers and defensive ends will be busy making sure Jordan doesn't have an opportunity to run and therefore most likely won't focus on Moss as much.

Other notes:

The RB depth seems to be getting better each year and just like aussieboy mentioned, I'll take my chances on my first runner in the 2nd or 3rd round.

*And how could I forget...Moss has had: 3 seasons with 15 or more TDs. Three seasons of 1400 or more yards. And up until 2004, has played in all 16 games each season.

"in my opinion..." :-D
someone25
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:47 am

I think you got it all backwards here.

someone25 wrote:

- Jerry Porter ... he should be drawing the corners and safeties like "flies," which in turn will give Moss opportunities to make plays.

I'm quite sure the Porter is the guy who will be benefitting from Moss drawing the extra coverage.

someone25 wrote:- Kerry Collins ... since he's no Culpepper, we won't have to worry about him rushing. Instead, he'll be passing most as he usual does. Collins passed for 4000 yards in 2002 and that was with Amani Toomer as his #1! Just think what he could do with Moss as his #1!!

Collins does throw a nice deep ball which will aid Moss in his streak, fake n' go, and fade routes but Collins is the guy who is going to benefit greatly from having Moss.

someone25 wrote: - LaMont Jordan ... the linebackers and defensive ends will be busy making sure Jordan doesn't have an opportunity to run and therefore most likely won't focus on Moss as much.

I've never known teams to try to drop LBs and ends to cover Moss but I'm pretty positive that Moss's ability to stretch the field will keep teams from stacking up at all against Jordan.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Football Talk