Lamont Jordan - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lamont Jordan

Moderator: Football Moderators

Lamont Jordan

Postby tds04 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:20 pm

I haven't seen any posts about Lamont Jordan. Where is he going in mock drafts lately? I have the 8th pick in the first round of a ten team league and the 5th pick in the second round. I think Jordan is in for a huge year and I am thinking about using that first pick on him. With Norv Turner's history of leaning heavily on his top running backs (Emmitt Smith, Ricky Williams, Ladanian Tomlinson, and Stephen Davis) Jordan should be very busy this year. He's also a good recever and should be good for 300 to 400 yards in receptions. My question is this: Should I choose Jordan a relatively young guy with a decent track record of success or choose a guy like Kevin Jones who may have more upside but maybe injury prone, and may not be used extensively in the passing game? I like the situation Jordan is in a little better. Collins throws a nice deep ball, Randy Moss and Jerry Porter will prevent the D from stacking eight men in the box, and of course there is the Norv Turner factor. I like both backs but it may be a little too early to select either one with the eighth pick. But with the usual shortage of reliable backs out there would both of them be gone by the time I pick again? Any opinions would be appreciated!
tds04
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby aussieboy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:40 pm

I'm not exactly sure what Jordan's ADP is at the moment, but I reckon you could get him with your 3rd round pick.

LAMONT JORDAN WILL BE THE BREAKOUT RB THIS YEAR!

If you can draft him in the 3rd round, by seasons end you will have got the steal of the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan put up top 5 RB numbers. Moss takes a safety out of run support, which leaves an extra blocker for the RB.

If you're confident of getting Jordan in the 3rd, I'd be inclined to take the best available RB in the first round followed up with the best available WR in the second. If you then land Jordan in the 3rd, you will be set.

Good luck.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:10 pm

I like him a lot - he has the necessary skills, has shown flashes of brilliance and is landing in the perfect place with all the talent Oak has at WR. The only real knock against him that has some people ranking him a little lower is that we've never seem him as the feature back for an entire season but that's a risk I'm willing to take. (I suppose there is some question about how effective Collins will be but most have more faith in him than I do from the rankings I've seen so far).
Last edited by stomperrob on Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby joshyboy72 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:14 pm

I hope you guys are the ones who claim that strength of schedule means nothing. Because Jordan has none.

I'd take someone like Portis, Jamal, or DD at 8. And if you really want Jordan, then trade down in the second....right now his ADP is around 2.11-2.12 in standard 12 team leagues so if you trade down to around 2.10 you'll probably still be able to get Jordan, and another pick in the deal.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby aussieboy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:16 pm

joshyboy72 wrote:I hope you guys are the ones who claim that strength of schedule means nothing. Because Jordan has none.

Sorry, what do you mean by that?
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

LaMont Jordan

Postby kvnhbbrd » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:46 pm

As of a couple of days ago he was going:

28.41 Average Pick
3.08 Average Round
Good luck and high scores
kvnhbbrd
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: LaMont Jordan

Postby Flockers » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:30 pm

kvnhbbrd wrote:3.08 Average Round

That's the pick tds04 will have in the 3rd round. There ya' go.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:49 pm

aussieboy wrote:
joshyboy72 wrote:I hope you guys are the ones who claim that strength of schedule means nothing. Because Jordan has none.

Sorry, what do you mean by that?

I think what Joshy is trying to say is, the Raiders don't exactly have an easy schedule when it comes to run defenses they'll be facing.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby tds04 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:17 am

Thanks for the info and advice about Jordan. Nobody seems to think the guy is worth a first round or even a second round pick but the other RBs likely available at the 8th pick have more questions or limitations. Joshyboy72 mentioned three backs, Jamal, DD, and Portis. Lewis is injury prone, has already had both knees rebuilt, and won't be used in the passing game. DD plays for a lousy team, the Texans keep trying to replace him with rookies, and, like Jamal, is injury prone. Portis is a very talented RB but like DD, his supporting cast is not very supporting. Other backs that could be available at the 8th spot might include Ahman Green, Mcallister, or Mcgahee. I like Mcallister the best of those three. I think Manning could cause Duece to slid down to the 8th pick.

1. Tomlinson
2. Alexander
3. Holmes
4. Manning
5. James
6. Mcgahee
7. Dillon
8. Mcallister
9. Lewis
10. DD

I also have a feeling that at this time next year these three youngsters will be top five selections: Kevin Jones, Julius Jones, and Steven Jackson. I like all of these guys a lot but of course I don't want to overpay for them by taking them too early. I have a feeling that the more proven guys, the old guard-Dillon, Lewis, James, and Green will be selected in the first or early second round. Yes, these guys are proven but I think the Jones and Jackson have more upside.
tds04
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby tds04 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:18 am

Thanks for the info and advice about Jordan. Nobody seems to think the guy is worth a first round or even a second round pick but the other RBs likely available at the 8th pick have more questions or limitations. Joshyboy72 mentioned three backs, Jamal, DD, and Portis. Lewis is injury prone, has already had both knees rebuilt, and won't be used in the passing game. DD plays for a lousy team, the Texans keep trying to replace him with rookies, and, like Jamal, is injury prone. Portis is a very talented RB but like DD, his supporting cast is not very supporting. Other backs that could be available at the 8th spot might include Ahman Green, Mcallister, or Mcgahee. I like Mcallister the best of those three. I think Manning could cause Duece to slid down to the 8th pick.

1. Tomlinson
2. Alexander
3. Holmes
4. Manning
5. James
6. Mcgahee
7. Dillon
8. Mcallister
9. Lewis
10. DD

I also have a feeling that at this time next year these three youngsters will be top five selections: Kevin Jones, Julius Jones, and Steven Jackson. I like all of these guys a lot but of course I don't want to overpay for them by taking them too early. I have a feeling that the more proven guys, the old guard-Dillon, Lewis, James, and Green will be selected in the first or early second round. Yes, these guys are proven but I think the Jones and Jackson have more upside.
tds04
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk