Lamont Jordan - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lamont Jordan

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby aussieboy » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:26 pm

maddog60 wrote:
aussieboy wrote:The other main argument I hear against not only Jordan but other RBs that play on poor teams is the whole: "Their team's defense sux so they will be behind early and will have to abandon the run". Yeh, sure Preist Holmes has really suffered cos of the bad KC defense, oh and having LT all these years has really sucked. Simply put, if the RB is good enough the team will continue to run.

Neither one of those situations is comparable to Jordan's. In each of those situations the RB is the biggest weapon that the team has, and the team lacks a true #1 WR. In Jordan's case, the biggest threat on the team is Moss, not him.

Well Trent Green doesn't throw 4000 yards to Priest, but you're right about LT. Moss being the main offensive threat makes it all the more easier for Jordan. That's my point. Whether they are behind early doesn't mean they're going to abandon the run. That common misconception is one of those rhetorical comments that sound good in theory but in practice is wrong. Sure in the last part of the 4th quarter if you're down by a couple of TDs then you will abandon the run, but before that the run is still a vital component of the offense.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:47 am

toofunny wrote:I hope you're also planning to grab Foster in the 1st round. *lol*

Jordan is a *flier*. There's a reason he's been a backup. He's not that good. If any fool drafts him in the 1st round I would probably die laughing and be unable to do my draft.

I'd use a 7th round pick on him, and that's pushing it. There's so many factors against him, it's not even funny. A lifetime backup RB, goes to a team with the worst D in the league, who will pass far more then run. This guy won't even sniff 1000 yards.

The reason he's been a backup is because he was stuck behind a Hall of Famer until now. I'm not sure that the Raiders will pass far more than they run. Norv Turner typically employs a run-heavy offense. Look at the RB's he's coached in the past, Emmitt, LT, Stephen Davis. He's not going to let Lamont rot away on the bench or as a blocker all game.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't get 1,000 yards.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Azrael » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:57 pm

Hey everybody this is how you win fantasy championships, by IDing guys like Jordan who are unproven and/or are coming into a new situation and people do not have a track record to judge them by. When Oakland acquired Jordan and Moss, Jordan lit up like neon lights to me.

Here's the thread I posted back in March about Norv's RBs.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... orv+turner

1,400+ yards and double digit scores are almost a guarantee from Norv's RBs.

It's not just going to be Jordan trying to grind it out like Jamal Lewis. He should have one of the least difficult times running of anyone in the league with all the other weapons that defenses will have to contend with.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:47 pm

I would much rather take the "unproven" Tatum Bell in the 3rd round this year. Lamont Jordan steps onto a team without a defense in probably the highest scoring division in the NFL. Did I mention that they have Randy Moss on that team scoring the bulk of the touchdowns? Add it up people, the Raider's are only going to score so many touchdowns this season. Jordan won't be the primary beneficiary IMO.... it's Collins.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby cooleyhigh » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:08 pm

MeShawn wrote:This guy painfully reminds me of Troy Hambrick and Amos Zereoue.

Jordan '04: 93 carries, 479 yds, 5.2 ypc, 2 TD's
Hambrick '01: 113 carries, 579 yds, 5.1 ypc, 2 TD's
Zereoue '01: 85 carries, 441 yds, 5.2 ypc, 1 TD

Could not agree with you more. I suggested this in May and was told it was a silly and pointless comparison :-[

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=134569
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby tanner » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:40 am

Oakland plays a brutal schedule v. good run defenses..
Jordan has never started in the NFL..I've watched alot of NYJ games over the years ( living in the NY area as a Giants fan, you have to sit thru Jets games before the Giants come on)..
Jordan seemed to do the vast majority of his damage late in ba;;games, i.e., 3rd-4th quarters, after Curtis Martin has worn a defense down...they bring in Jordan because he is fresh and he bulldozes people..
the offensive line in Oakland is spotty at best, with 2 guys playing out of position from what they played in 2004..
with games against NYG, Washington, Dallas, Philly, NYJ,Pats, Denver, SD, Buffalo, Miami ( they'll turn that defense around) it is going to be a long , hard season for Jordan..
there are at least 12 other RB's I'd rather have than Lamont Jordan, guys who've got proven track records as starting rb's..

Lamont Jordan could be the free agent flop of the year..you have to wonder why NYJ didn't pour out the cash for this guy, knowing they've got 1 more year with the aging C-Mart before they need to get a younger RB...
tanner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Juhlz » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:09 am

toofunny wrote:I hope you're also planning to grab Foster in the 1st round. *lol*

Jordan is a *flier*. There's a reason he's been a backup. He's not that good. If any fool drafts him in the 1st round I would probably die laughing and be unable to do my draft.

I'd use a 7th round pick on him, and that's pushing it. There's so many factors against him, it's not even funny. A lifetime backup RB, goes to a team with the worst D in the league, who will pass far more then run. This guy won't even sniff 1000 yards.

Actually his reason has a name, Curtis Martin.
"Gunga la gunga...which means on your deathbed you will receive full consciousness, so I got that going for me." Bill
Juhlz
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jimboozie » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:23 am

I would like to get Jordan at a 3rd or 4th round pick, but nothing higher. I think he will post good numbers despite playing against good run ds. One thing is you dont know how hard the schedule will be in July because teams change every year. Look at my Dallas Cowboys, #1 rated defense in 03 into a pile of crap cant stop anybody defense in 04. Jordan will get his numbers just alone cause all the weapons around him. Teams cant put 8 men in the box with Moss, Porter, Curry and Gabriel at wr. Minnesota always had room to run with Moss in there--you gotta set up a special gameplan for Randy.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk