Henry to Titans - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Henry to Titans

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deluxe_247 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:12 pm

i own brown on a few teams and dont own henry in any... and i believe that brown may start the season as the feature, but will shortly after be supplanted. i believe in henry a lot more than i do brown, he is a beast. all henry needs is a foot in the door and there will be no looking back IMO.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MadScott » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:17 am

Flux wrote: If TEN REALLY plans on having Henry start, they are going to give him some good $$$ and sign him for multiple years. If they dont extend him, then the job is Browns

Look, Henry is NOT going to agree to a long-term deal with a team where he is just going to be a backup again.

;-D Bingo. Keep an eye on this development and you should have some insight into the situation. TENN isn't going to want to saddle itself to a huge contract either considering the financial straits that they are already in.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tanner » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:29 am

I don't see it becoming a RBBC..it's Brown's job until he gets hurt again..

Brown is MUCH faster than Henry, but you have to wonder why so many teams passed on Travis..Jacksonville surely could use a quality starter, so could at least 6 other teams..
a 3rd pick isn't too much to give up!

I don't see him beating out Chris Brown whatsoever..
tanner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:33 am

bigGAME101 wrote:
agchris02 wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:
agchris02 wrote:Im not sure why everyone here seems to be assuming that henry will win the job or it'll be a RBBC -- Brown, WHEN HEALTHY, is the better perfoming back. A much better goal line back, and a more dominating runner. That said, Henry is probably not quite as injury prone.

This obviously means that Tenn is in NO WAY confident in brown's health, but I still see Brown being the starter if he's healthy, with Henry just being a change of pace guy -- till brown gets hurt. If you draft both these guys, i think you'll have a solid back all year, as one will be starting. Tenn has never really been a RBBC committee, and I dont see Fisher doing that.

What I dont understand is why a team like SF wouldnt have traded for Henry (would have helped a ton), send Barlow and a 3rd for Henry -- McGahee has a decent back up, SF has their num 1 guy. Or ANY number of other teams,

No offense but that makes no sense at all. It took this long to get anyone at all to even trade just a 3rd rounder for him. Why would SF want to give up a feature back AND a 3rd? There is also no way of knowing Brown is the better back. We saw Henry put up two consecutive 1300 yd seasons, one of which on a broken leg, and we saw Brown play half a season, half a game, half a play...you get my point. Not knocking Brown, he helped win me some games early in the year, but I think this is one we have to wait and see who actually emerges here.

You lose barlow to get rid of that ridiculous contract he has, there's no way any team would take that on -- and they wanted a 3rd round pick for henry AND were going to get it from someone. Have to think in money terms in real life :)

As to being better:

C Brown avg 4.8 yrds per carry in his first "full" season (injured some of it though)
Henry has NEVER avged more than 4.4 and is much closer to a 4.0 career avg per carry. Expecting more than that just doesnt make sense.

C Brown is a bigger back. C Brown's 40 time is quicker. C Brown has less fumbles per game. C Brown is a better reciever and averages about 3 catches more per game than henry.

Maybe this doesnt make him a "better" back, but statistically he's better in every single major category -- except i think he's more injury prone.

If I'm not mistaken, Brown missed about a third of the season with injuries. To me, that doesn't qualify as a "full" season.

C.Brown has a higher career ypc? Henry has 2 more seasons experience playing (and also half of a season last year). Put Brown in the leage for a full 16 games, 4 years straight, and its not likely he would have that average.

C. Brown is bigger. Tell me how "bigger" translates to better. Henry runs harder than Brown despite being smaller, and plays through injury. Plus, in the case of Brown, bigger leads to an upright running style, thus increasing risk of injury. In fact, Henry and Brown are about the same weight, but Henry is like 5 inches shorter. Generally that makes it easier to find holes.

C.Brown has a better 40 time? can I see some statistics there; I really don't know to tell you the truth; but again, better 40 time doesnt make him a better runner.

C.Brown fumbles less? Hmmmm. Again, considering that Henry has actually played for almost 3 seasons longer than Brown (who barely played his first season), I would expect him to have more fumbles. In terms of fantasy football, Henry only had one bad year of fumbling, and he has carried that on his back ever since (and that was almost 3 years ago). The other years he only had 2, 3, and 0 fumbles lost, respectively. Brown had 4 lost last year alone.

C.Brown is a better receiver. Well when you have a depleted passing game and you are one of the only options, plus you get all the dump off passes from broken plays, then yes, you will have more catches. In Henry's two big seasons, the Buffalo passing game was very respectable, and thus he didnt see many catches. Compare that to the Titans this year.

Statistically, you can't compare the two. Comapring four NFL seasons to one just doesnt make any sense.

Chris Brown is the much better RB plain and simple. If he can't stay healthy he's worthless though, ask Bo Jackson. More appropriately, ask Quentin Griffin.
Last edited by Kensat30 on Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:35 am

Free Bagel wrote:
bigGAME101 wrote:Let me ask you this. If you were the GM of some fottball team, and your team had some serious rebuilding to do in the next few years, would you part with a third round pick for a one-year player.

I covered this earlier. If Henry is lost to FA at the end of the year the Titans would get a compensatory pick (most likely 3rd round) for him, so they'd get their pick back.

With all the FAs the Titan's lost this season, they should be getting an assload of compensatory picks already. A 3rd round pick is not very much to pay for a quality backup plan when you're probably looking at double digit picks.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Flux » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:02 pm

kensat wrote:Chris Brown is the much better RB plain and simple.

Im just going to play devils advocate here, but how can you rate a player who only has half a season or so under his belt, to a player who made the pro-bowl just a couple years ago.

Also, people are saying that Brown is a better receiving RB, yet, a couple years ago, Henry had over 40 receptions which is VERY good for a RB.

Brown perhaps is the better RB, but wont the competition in TEN camp determine that?

Im not trying to get on a side here, but there is just a very... i dont know....mean/critical/upset tone to a lot of posts here. And im not trying to point you out in particular kensat and im not saying that you are in any way portraying that, you just happen to be the last post in this thread before I started writing :-b

It seriously is just too early to say one way or another, and with the reports that this deal isnt finalized and that the Jags now want to offer a 2nd rounder anything can happen. Like I said before, a lot of things will be much more clear when a contract is signed, if one is signed. And even then camp will determine everything.

The better RB WILL see the majority of the carries, and we just arent there yet
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby koffeeboy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:04 pm

Flux wrote:

Im just going to play devils advocate here, but how can you rate a player who only has half a season or so under his belt, to a player who made the pro-bowl just a couple years ago.

Also, people are saying that Brown is a better receiving RB, yet, a couple years ago, Henry had over 40 receptions which is VERY good for a RB.

Brown perhaps is the better RB, but wont the competition in TEN camp determine that?

Im not trying to get on a side here, but there is just a very... i dont know....mean/critical/upset tone to a lot of posts here. And im not trying to point you out in particular kensat and im not saying that you are in any way portraying that, you just happen to be the last post in this thread before I started writing :-b

It seriously is just too early to say one way or another, and with the reports that this deal isnt finalized and that the Jags now want to offer a 2nd rounder anything can happen. Like I said before, a lot of things will be much more clear when a contract is signed, if one is signed. And even then camp will determine everything.

I agree with what Flux said...

And in regards to Kensat... We will see if the Titans agree with you on that one.
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:17 pm

Just saw this - apparantly the trade is completed:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&c ... ills_henry

Is this accurate?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby benm3218 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:21 pm

Flux wrote:

What do you mean about jags? I thought it was done deal?
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Flux » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:28 pm

What do you mean about jags? I thought it was done deal?

It was pending a physical, and TENs GM said something to the effect that it was "an ongoing process." So it technically was not finalized, although from CBMs link, it looks like it might be
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk