Henry to Titans - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Henry to Titans

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:55 pm

I would stay away from this situation until the middle rounds... now or in August. Norm Chow used 2 RBs very well in college, there is no clear-cut starter, there is talk of both being used in tandem. Not only will the starter rest on shakey ground all season long, there may not be a true starter all season long.

Even if one of these guys is declared the featured RB before the start of the season, I would view that player more skeptically than if you told me that Warrick Dunn was now the featured RB on the Falcon's. Whoever ends up in the lead role is going to have a RB FIVE TIMES more talented than Duckett waiting in the wings...

At this point, owners who drafted Henry in the 8th+ round probably got decent value for their picks, while people who drafted Chris Brown as a RB#2 are totally screwed... I wouldn't want either of these guys on my roster as anything more than a borderline RB#3 or RB#4.. Neither one holds a lot of value until the other player is done for the year.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bellybrother » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:10 pm

As far as value goes, it would probably be better if Brown ended up being named the starter making Henry's value fall, thereby making him a decent pick later so that you have him when Brown gets hurt.

If Henry is named the starter, his value will rise making him too expensive considering the talent of his back up who could and probably would steal carries and TD's.

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby koffeeboy » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:58 pm

I definately think you'll be able to grab Henry later in the draft... thereby making him a better 'value' pick.

This is a good move for Tennessee... Just another in the long line of anti-FF moves by NFL GM's.

Who the h*ll do they think they are???
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby cooleyhigh » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:18 pm

Flux wrote:Thirdly, with the info about TEN getting a comp pick if they only have Henry for a year, everything is going to come down to his contract. If TEN REALLY plans on having Henry start, they are going to give him some good $$$ and sign him for multiple years. If they dont extend him, then the job is Browns

Look, Henry is NOT going to agree to a long-term deal with a team where he is just going to be a backup again. Thats the whole reason he wasnt going to camp in BUF and wanted out. Of course TEN could sort of lie, but thats why he would want the money to prove they mean what they say

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Running back Travis Henry has agreed to a multiyear contract extension with the Tennessee Titans after being obtained in a trade with Buffalo.

Henry will be introduced at a news conference on Wednesday. He was acquired Monday for a third-round draft pick.

Terms were not immediately available.

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/storie ... 9-17-47-40

I cant imagine him signing for much less than 3 million a year. With Brown becoming a free agent in 06 looks like TEN will recoup that pick by letting Brown walk.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby pdub » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:24 pm

``The combination of Chris Brown and Travis Henry puts us in elite company in terms of talented backfields,'' Titans general manager Floyd Reese said. ``I don't know that it will matter who starts, because I envision both players making significant contributions throughout the season.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

looks like rbbc
pdub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigGAME101 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:04 pm

cooleyhigh wrote:
Flux wrote:Thirdly, with the info about TEN getting a comp pick if they only have Henry for a year, everything is going to come down to his contract. If TEN REALLY plans on having Henry start, they are going to give him some good $$$ and sign him for multiple years. If they dont extend him, then the job is Browns

Look, Henry is NOT going to agree to a long-term deal with a team where he is just going to be a backup again. Thats the whole reason he wasnt going to camp in BUF and wanted out. Of course TEN could sort of lie, but thats why he would want the money to prove they mean what they say

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Running back Travis Henry has agreed to a multiyear contract extension with the Tennessee Titans after being obtained in a trade with Buffalo.

Henry will be introduced at a news conference on Wednesday. He was acquired Monday for a third-round draft pick.

I cant imagine him signing for much less than 3 million a year. With Brown becoming a free agent in 06 looks like TEN will recoup that pick by letting Brown walk.

From what I hear ;-D , his contract is very incentive-based, and the deal goes through 2009. His base salary is not extremely high, but low-end starting material (comparable to other starting caliber RBs that are essentially stuck in RBBCs).

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby MadScott » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:12 pm

bigGAME101 wrote:
cooleyhigh wrote:

From what I hear ;-D , his contract is very incentive-based, and the deal goes through 2009. His base salary is not extremely high, but low-end starting material (comparable to other starting caliber RBs that are essentially stuck in RBBCs).

Hmmm, the plot thickens. Don't know if you can glean much about the situation with the contract that you speak of biggame. That being said, if they signed him till 2009, odds are they didn't do that to have him ride the pine.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk