My Opinion (Steven Jackson) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

My Opinion (Steven Jackson)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Good Post

Postby tds04 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:20 pm

Hey Ripcord thanks for that very informative post on Steven Jackson. I agree with all that you said about him and I also think he will step up BIG time this year. Another factor that weighs heavily in Jax's favor and every other skill position player on the Rams is the cakey schedule they will play: Six meetings with the Cardinals, 49ers, and Seahawks as well as meetings with the Vikes, Colts, and Saints! CHACHING! I agree that he is very close to being in the class of DD and Portis. He definetly has more upside than Portis simply because of his surrounding cast. Mid second round, possibly early third round, no later!
tds04
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Good Post

Postby tds04 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:21 pm

Hey Ripcord thanks for that very informative post on Steven Jackson. I agree with all that you said about him and I also think he will step up BIG time this year. Another factor that weighs heavily in Jax's favor and every other skill position player on the Rams is the cakey schedule they will play: Six meetings with the Cardinals, 49ers, and Seahawks as well as meetings with the Vikes, Colts, and Saints! CHACHING! I agree that he is very close to being in the class of DD and Portis. He definetly has more upside than Portis simply because of his surrounding cast. Mid second round, possibly early third round, no later!
tds04
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Pete123444 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:33 pm

Good post Ripcord. ;-D I enjoyed the read and your point of view. I agree that S Jackson is around 10-15. But I have Portis projected as a top 3 RB for me. Keep em coming.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby ECW 4:20 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:47 pm

Have u guys seen Rams schdule??? If Jackson don't give me 100 yards and 1 TD per week he should shave his dreads off.
ECW 4:20
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby bagobonez » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:13 pm

maddog60 wrote:While I would not be surprised if Jackson finishes top 5 in RBs sometime in the future, I don't want to rely on him while he's still sharing a backfield in Mike Martz's system. Martz's playcalling is erratic at best, and you never know when Jackson isn't going to see even 10 carries. Look at Mart'z play calling last year:

week 17: 40 passes, 19 rushes
week 16: 28 passes, 43 rushes
week 15: 36 passes, 10 rushes
week 14: 29 passes, 21 rushes
week 13: 31 passes, 31 rushes
week 12: 53 passes, 17 rushes
week 11: 45 passes, 20 rushes
week 10: 34 passes, 31 rushes
week 09: 33 passes, 19 rushes
week 07: 40 passes, 19 rushes
week 06: 30 passes, 30 rushes
week 05: 42 passes, 24 rushes
week 04: 25 passes, 36 rushes
week 03: 49 passes, 15 rushes
week 02: 31 passes, 15 rushes
week 01: 34 passes, 30 rushes

With Faulk still in the backfield, and considering those numbers include QB scrambles, its unpredictable to determine if Jackson will see 25 or 10 carries each week, and that will make a difference whether or not he's a reliable starter.

oh yeah, almost forgot, even though I disagree, good post. Hopfully more where that came from. ;-D

This is a real good point. If you look at it, the Rams pretty much rush the ball either less than 20 times, or more than 30. There's no happy medium. There's no gray area, it's just black or white. Sometimes Martz decides he's tired of being called a finesse team and he hammers the ball. Other times he wants to let Bulger wind up 45 times a game. Jackson's stats will look pretty good at year's end, but Martz play calling will either make you or break you.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bellybrother » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:50 pm

Nicely done Rip. I look forward to more installments in your new "My Opinion" series. ;-D ;-D ;-D

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby proKrastinate » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:45 pm

bagobonez wrote:
maddog60 wrote:While I would not be surprised if Jackson finishes top 5 in RBs sometime in the future, I don't want to rely on him while he's still sharing a backfield in Mike Martz's system. Martz's playcalling is erratic at best, and you never know when Jackson isn't going to see even 10 carries. Look at Mart'z play calling last year:

With Faulk still in the backfield, and considering those numbers include QB scrambles, its unpredictable to determine if Jackson will see 25 or 10 carries each week, and that will make a difference whether or not he's a reliable starter.

oh yeah, almost forgot, even though I disagree, good post. Hopfully more where that came from. ;-D

This is a real good point. If you look at it, the Rams pretty much rush the ball either less than 20 times, or more than 30. There's no happy medium. There's no gray area, it's just black or white. Sometimes Martz decides he's tired of being called a finesse team and he hammers the ball. Other times he wants to let Bulger wind up 45 times a game. Jackson's stats will look pretty good at year's end, but Martz play calling will either make you or break you.

this doesn't help really to much, but with some of th hype surrounding jackson im overly happy to have him as my flex in a 2rb league. i drafted him as a rookie in the later rounds and was able to snag him at JUST the right time thanks to the help i got from here compiling my own pre-draft rankings.

the only thing i worry about is that I vaguley remember hearing about Jackson not being able to put it across the stripe last year around the goal line. I can't remember exactly, but I sorta recall hearing that Faulk was still getting the close TD's because even though he was given opportunity Jackson couldn't punch it in, or just didn't have the vision to find the hole fast enough to get across.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby MadScott » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:46 am

You bring up what most concerns me with SJax too Maddog and that simply put is Mike Martz and his Bizarro world play calling. Faulk was taylor made for the the Mad Mike offense, easily being utilized as a receiver as well as a rusher. I'm just not sure that SJ is that same mold, he seems more the workhorse type that goes against the Martz fast break offense.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:25 am

proKrastinate wrote:the only thing i worry about is that I vaguley remember hearing about Jackson not being able to put it across the stripe last year around the goal line. I can't remember exactly, but I sorta recall hearing that Faulk was still getting the close TD's because even though he was given opportunity Jackson couldn't punch it in, or just didn't have the vision to find the hole fast enough to get across.

Jackson scored on 3 out of 7 goalline attempts last year, with a 1.86ypc average in those attempts.

Faulk scored on 3 out of 13 goalline attempts last year, with a 0.46ypc average in those attempts.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Ripcord » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:19 pm

thanks for the support guys, i will write one of these colums everytime i do a lot of research on a guy.
"To get the full affects of it you really have to be in my seat"
Ripcord
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk