My Opinion (Steven Jackson) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

My Opinion (Steven Jackson)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:52 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
proKrastinate wrote:the only thing i worry about is that I vaguley remember hearing about Jackson not being able to put it across the stripe last year around the goal line. I can't remember exactly, but I sorta recall hearing that Faulk was still getting the close TD's because even though he was given opportunity Jackson couldn't punch it in, or just didn't have the vision to find the hole fast enough to get across.

Jackson scored on 3 out of 7 goalline attempts last year, with a 1.86ypc average in those attempts.

Faulk scored on 3 out of 13 goalline attempts last year, with a 0.46ypc average in those attempts.

Be careful Free Bagel. I watched every play of several Ram's game last year.. and it was NOT obviously apparent to me that a worn down Marshall Faulk was less effective than Steven Jackson in short yardage situations. Often times Jackson would try to put his head down to plow through bodies with brute force and get stopped, whereas Marshall would lower his body and squeeze through holes that didn't appear to be there and pickup a few yards. Not taking anything away from S.Jackson, but Faulk is still one of the best RBs in the league at picking up a tough yard.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby proKrastinate » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:43 pm

cool i was hoping someone with more than just the stats would chime in ( though starts are always informative, not taking away ). I dont want a Duce Staley on my team even if he is the flex
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Registered_Guest » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:39 am

I'm a huge Rams (and Jackson) fan.

Jackson is going to have a hell of a time staying healthy on the turf if he doesn't change. Faulk had a great knack of going down on his own (not fighting for additional yardage and taking unnecessary hits like Jackson).

Jackson is one hell of a talent, but someone's got to get in his ear about eliminating the extra pounding if he wants to have a long career.
Registered_Guest
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Vanter » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:34 am

Registered_Guest wrote:I'm a huge Rams (and Jackson) fan.

Jackson is going to have a hell of a time staying healthy on the turf if he doesn't change. Faulk had a great knack of going down on his own (not fighting for additional yardage and taking unnecessary hits like Jackson).

Jackson is one hell of a talent, but someone's got to get in his ear about eliminating the extra pounding if he wants to have a long career.

StL installed new field turf for the 2005 season, which is supposed to be softer and more 'player-friendly'. This should help reduce those injuries usually associated with their old turf problems.

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/48589/
Vanter
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Good Post

Postby mnheadliner » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:48 am

tds04 wrote:Hey Ripcord thanks for that very informative post on Steven Jackson. I agree with all that you said about him and I also think he will step up BIG time this year. Another factor that weighs heavily in Jax's favor and every other skill position player on the Rams is the cakey schedule they will play: Six meetings with the Cardinals, 49ers, and Seahawks as well as meetings with the Vikes, Colts, and Saints! CHACHING! I agree that he is very close to being in the class of DD and Portis. He definetly has more upside than Portis simply because of his surrounding cast. Mid second round, possibly early third round, no later!

AHEM.....the Vikings defense is vastly improved. Were you not paying attention to all their offseason moves. I am thrilled I get to see a real life NFL caliber legitly good defense for the first time in like a decade from my home-town team! ;-D
mnheadliner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:10 pm

mnheadliner wrote:
tds04 wrote:Hey Ripcord thanks for that very informative post on Steven Jackson. I agree with all that you said about him and I also think he will step up BIG time this year. Another factor that weighs heavily in Jax's favor and every other skill position player on the Rams is the cakey schedule they will play: Six meetings with the Cardinals, 49ers, and Seahawks as well as meetings with the Vikes, Colts, and Saints! CHACHING! I agree that he is very close to being in the class of DD and Portis. He definetly has more upside than Portis simply because of his surrounding cast. Mid second round, possibly early third round, no later!

AHEM.....the Vikings defense is vastly improved. Were you not paying attention to all their offseason moves. I am thrilled I get to see a real life NFL caliber legitly good defense for the first time in like a decade from my home-town team! ;-D

I still think the Viking's are going to be weak against the run. When your major additions at LB are Napoleon Harris and a fading Sam Cowart... I really don't expect too much there. D-line is good, defensive secondary is good, but normally LBs are the guys who make an immediate impact on a defense. See Jeremiah Trotter Philadelphia Eagles...
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Registered_Guest » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:14 pm

Vanter wrote:
Registered_Guest wrote:I'm a huge Rams (and Jackson) fan.

StL installed new field turf for the 2005 season, which is supposed to be softer and more 'player-friendly'. This should help reduce those injuries usually associated with their old turf problems.

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/48589/

Thanks for the info. Must of missed that news. Let's hope it is real player friendly.
Registered_Guest
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:32 am

Kensat30 wrote:I still think the Viking's are going to be weak against the run. When your major additions at LB are Napoleon Harris and a fading Sam Cowart... I really don't expect too much there. D-line is good, defensive secondary is good, but normally LBs are the guys who make an immediate impact on a defense. See Jeremiah Trotter Philadelphia Eagles...

They drafted two DTs the last two seasons and picked up a big fat ass to clog the middle. Plus the additions in the secondary. Only my denial keeps me from thinking that they will change to a D minded team who might try to grind it out more this year.

But because I hate the Vikes and don't want their fans getting to comfortable, I'll leave Vikingfan with this thought:

Tice, Tice, Tice, Tice, Tice, Tice. Now try sleeping at night!

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Football Talk