What's everybody's draft strategy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What's everybody's draft strategy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What's everybody's draft strategy?

Postby johnnie2130 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:44 pm

For a 10 team draft, do you have a certain position you definitely take first? What rounds do you look for QBs in? When do you take a WR over a a good RB?

I usually try to take two RBs first, then 2 WRs. Lately I've experimented with taking a RB first, then a WR second if Moss or TO is there. I've had some success doing this.

I guess it usually comes down to what the other teams are doing. I'd like to be able to dictate how the draft goes instead of letter other teams do that, but I haven't quite figured that out yet.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
johnnie2130
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:14 pm

Generally, this is my strategy:

1st round - RB
2nd round - RB (if its a late 2nd pick I'll consider if TO or Marvin falls to me)

3rd round - Gets tricky here. Most likely I'll have two RBs. I'll look for Chad Johnson or Tory Holt if its early 3rd round and they might be there. If not, I'd take McNabb or Culpepper in the 3rd. Otherwise I'm likely drafting my first WR. If it's a late round pick I might take Gonzo or Gates to secure a top TE and take my first WR early 4th.

4th round - Not drafting a RB or QB. Its either TE or most likely a WR. No QB that would be left would be worth a 4th, and taking 3 RBs in 4 rounds is somethin I'm not gonna do unless there's a RB/WR flex position.

5th - Usually I like to exit the first 5 rounds with 2 RBs, 2 WRs, and either a QB or TE, so this pick will depend heavily on whether a top QB or TE fell to me. I'll consider Witten for TE here, Bulger and Gren at QB, if none are available, I'll consider getting another full-time starting RB here or a WR that might've fallen.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ripcord » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:14 pm

most times i would say take 2 backs in the first 2 rounds. The only exception is if you pick in the top 3. I find in these positions you take a top back in the first round and then by the time you pick all the great backs are gone so normally there is a top wr or qb left so takin one of those guys would work and then come back and get a decent rb in the 3rd round.
"To get the full affects of it you really have to be in my seat"
Ripcord
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby johnnie2130 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:36 pm

So Culpepper or McNabb are that much better than Green or Bulger? I'm just trying to understand the importance of having one of those two QBs.

Thanks for the strategy.

maddog60 wrote:Generally, this is my strategy:

1st round - RB
2nd round - RB (if its a late 2nd pick I'll consider if TO or Marvin falls to me)

3rd round - Gets tricky here. Most likely I'll have two RBs. I'll look for Chad Johnson or Tory Holt if its early 3rd round and they might be there. If not, I'd take McNabb or Culpepper in the 3rd. Otherwise I'm likely drafting my first WR. If it's a late round pick I might take Gonzo or Gates to secure a top TE and take my first WR early 4th.

4th round - Not drafting a RB or QB. Its either TE or most likely a WR. No QB that would be left would be worth a 4th, and taking 3 RBs in 4 rounds is somethin I'm not gonna do unless there's a RB/WR flex position.

5th - Usually I like to exit the first 5 rounds with 2 RBs, 2 WRs, and either a QB or TE, so this pick will depend heavily on whether a top QB or TE fell to me. I'll consider Witten for TE here, Bulger and Gren at QB, if none are available, I'll consider getting another full-time starting RB here or a WR that might've fallen.
johnnie2130
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:41 pm

The best strategy is no strategy.

Draft for value at all times. The only thing you really should do is get one RB in the first three rounds - and probably two by the fifth.

Oh, and I would never draft a kicker or defense before the very end of the draft. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:03 pm

The reason I value McNabb and Culpepper as good 3rd round picks and Green/Bulger as only 5th round picks is that McNabb and Culpepper can and will on several weeks hit you homerruns. They can explode much easier for 4 TDs 300+ yards than either of those two. In addition to that, they're at worst a quality starter each week.

If all the proven WRs are gone, you've got two RBs, I think getting a sure fire top 3 QB is a much more reliable pick than say Andre Johnson as your first WR.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:07 pm

Let me just add to what I said...before I get questioned. :-o

Getting an RB is dang near the most important thing...so you really should look to get one in the first round. But, if you find that there are no RB's that you feel are worth a high pick, you take the next best available player at another position. But, you pretty much better get one by the end of the second round or else you could be in trouble. Waiting until the third better have meant that you were drafting with unknowledgable players or that you got Manning and Moss in the first two rounds. :-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:40 pm

I have things grouped into tiers. You can't really form a strategy until the draft has begun, and you are able to see which teams have which players.

For example, let's say here's how I have my tiers set up for RB and WR.

Tier 1 RBs
LT
Shaun
Priest

Tier 2 RBs
J.Lewis
Edge
McGahee
Deuce
Portis
Rudi
Barber
Domanick
K.Jones
Dillon
J.Jones

Tier 1 WRs
Moss
Owens
Holt
Chad Johnson
Walker
Harrison
Horn

Tier 2 WRs
Andre Johnson
D.Jackson
M.Clayton
H.Ward
R.Wayne
C.Chambers
A.Lelie
Roy Williams
D.Driver
I.Bruce
D.Mason
L.Fitzgerald

The reason I have these tiers is because I feel all the players in a particular tier are going to provide me similar results. For example, I don't see Torry Holt having a much better season than Chad Johnson. That's why they're in the same tier. But I see both players having much better seasons than guys like Donald Driver or Darrell Jackson. However I see Driver and Jackson having similar results.

Now, let's say my initial plan is to go RB in rounds 1 and 2, and then WR in round 3. So let's say for example I get Jamal Lewis and Kevin Jones in rounds 1 and 2. I'm targeting a WR in Round 3, but all of the WR's in my "top tier" have already been taken. Yet there are a ton of guys in my 2nd tier of WR's. So instead of reaching for Andre Johnson, maybe I'll take Culpepper or McNabb instead, knowing that i can get a similar guy to Andre later on, like Donald Driver for example, in Round 4.

Hope that makes sense.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

I Love RBs!!

Postby tds04 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:34 pm

In addition to the very wise strategies listed above there are a few other important reasons to start your draft with two or even three solid RBs. RBs get hurt more often than any of the other skill position players so you really need to stockpile early and often. Once the top 20 backs are off the board, usually by the middle of round three, the pickens are slim indeed. For example the first four running backs I drafted last year got hurt. Yes, all FOUR! Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Chris Brown, and Quentin Griffin. Even if your first two picks are Dillon and Rudi Johnson, guys with limited upside, you can be sure of consistent, steady production all year long. When the weather turns nasty late in the year it's nice to know that your stud backs will see even more carries and attention from offensive coordinators. Good luck and many points to you!!
tds04
Water Boy
Water Boy

I Love RBs!!

Postby tds04 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:35 pm

In addition to the very wise strategies listed above there are a few other important reasons to start your draft with two or even three solid RBs. RBs get hurt more often than any of the other skill position players so you really need to stockpile early and often. Once the top 20 backs are off the board, usually by the middle of round three, the pickens are slim indeed. For example the first four running backs I drafted last year got hurt. Yes, all FOUR! Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Chris Brown, and Quentin Griffin. Even if your first two picks are Dillon and Rudi Johnson, guys with limited upside, you can be sure of consistent, steady production all year long. When the weather turns nasty late in the year it's nice to know that your stud backs will see even more carries and attention from offensive coordinators. Good luck and many points to you!!
tds04
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk