What's everybody's draft strategy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What's everybody's draft strategy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby johnnie2130 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:26 pm

I did make a mistake taking Brown over Cadillac. That's why I'm doing so many mocks and asking so many questions though. I'm still learning. Gonzo was taken the pick before me or I would have grabbed him before Gates. Kensat, thanks for your advise and don't feel like you're telling me too much. Those are the things I want to know! ;-D

By doing the draft the way I did, am I taking a big gamble that could really hurt my team?
johnnie2130
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bellybrother » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:07 pm

johnnie2130 wrote:I did make a mistake taking Brown over Cadillac. That's why I'm doing so many mocks and asking so many questions though. I'm still learning. Gonzo was taken the pick before me or I would have grabbed him before Gates. Kensat, thanks for your advise and don't feel like you're telling me too much. Those are the things I want to know! ;-D

By doing the draft the way I did, am I taking a big gamble that could really hurt my team?

I don't think so. I like that team so far. I just don't care for Brown over Cadilac.

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby MadScott » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:17 pm

Kensat30 wrote:My main suggestion to you in a 10 man league is to amass studs. I have found that WR is the best position to land studs for value because generally the top5 WRs are locked in stone and then often fall into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Think of it this way, chances are you are not going to land 2 stud RBs with your first 2 picks no matter who you select. Injuries, busts, flukes, etc. make the top5 RBs shift year after year. And you generally need 2 absolute STUD RBs to win a 10 team league outright. Usually that is just not going to happen.

Now on the other hand if you manage to lock up 2 decent RBs and a STUD WR, it's gonna be a lot easier for you. I would not hesitate to take a WR like Randy Moss or Terrell Owens late in the first or early in the 2nd round because of this.

The greatest misconception of fantasy football is that you can only land decent RBs in the first 2 or 3 rounds. Every there is value to be found at RB if you select the right player. My strategy has been to stockpile as many starting RBs as you can and hope for the best. Guys like Kevan Barlow, Deshaun Foster, Michael Bennett, Duce Staley are falling well into draft because of poor past performances and injury issues. Guys like JJ Arrington, Cadillac Williams, Warrick Dunn fall in the draft because people are worried of their limited upside and other RBs cutting into their production.

Grab 2 of 3 of these guys and couple them with a first round RB and you are looking GOOD at the RB position. Did I mention that you can grab stud WRs in the process?
---

If you really want to dictate how a draft plays out, snap up the studs at the WR position while everyone else goes RB. By the time the third round rolls around and your team looks like:

Alexander (1.03)/Harrison (2.08)/Chad Johnson (3.03), Moss(1.07)/Portis (2.04)/Horn (3.07), Deuce(1.06)/Owens(2.05)/Holt(3.06)...

Other owners will be stuck with the leftovers and risky bets at WR (Javon Walker, Andre Johnson, etc.) while you are free to pick up the leftovers at RB. If you are risk averse, perhaps you grab a stud TE in the 4th round and put off drafting your #2 RB until the fifth round. Then you can grab 2, 3, perhaps even 4 consecutive RBs and not have to worry about suffering at the key position.
---

If the WRs don't fall, the RBs will. Grab a RB in the 3rd round and now you're looking at 2 solid RBs and a stud WR. Now if there is a stud TE in the 4th round, jump all over him....

It really just depends how your draft plays out and what kind of value falls, the main thing you need to keep in mind is to STAY FLEXIBLE and try to draft surething studs. Don't trap yourself into thinking you have to select a player at a certain position unless you absolutely have to. This should NOT occur within the first few rounds of a draft unless you try an unorthodox strategy (QB/WR, WR/WR). You have to take risks to win championships in smaller leagues IMO, drafting safe just gets you to the playoffs.

This may not be the best strategy for everyone but it is one that is very rewarding and I personally love. Props to you Kensat for posting this up for others to read.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:23 pm

johnnie2130 wrote:I did make a mistake taking Brown over Cadillac. That's why I'm doing so many mocks and asking so many questions though. I'm still learning. Gonzo was taken the pick before me or I would have grabbed him before Gates. Kensat, thanks for your advise and don't feel like you're telling me too much. Those are the things I want to know! ;-D

Yes you are. Waiting until the 5th round to take your #2 RB is not advisable, but it can be a very effective strategy if you play your cards right. In a 10 team league there should be a lot of options available to you at RB, so it's not as dangerous as in a 12 team league or bigger. But you still need to grab a lot of RBs so that you have someone to start at #2 each week who is going to score more than 4 or 5 points regularily. Then factoring in injuries and bye weeks... RB is the position where you most need quality depth.

You really need to get at least 1 hit on a decent RB in the 5th-7th round for the strategy to work properly and a lot of the RBs drafted in that range are risky at best. One method you might want to try is to handcuff several of the RBs you choose in the later rounds just to ensure you have a starting RB. Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams, Deuce McAllister/Antowain Smith, other potential combos include Barlow/Gore, Foster/Shelton, Bennett/Moore.

There are a lot of ways to make the strategy work, but there are also a lot of ways it can fall apart on you. Your WR and TE are really strong right now, and as you add a lot of RB depth (4, 5, 6 more RBs throughout the draft) you will be able to compete in that department. It's really a fine balance, draft enough RBs to cover yourself, but at the same time don't miss out on a quality QB and/or complimentary WRs..

QBs and WRs really tend to fall in the draft, that's why I like this strategy in smaller leagues.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby bellybrother » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:29 pm

MadScott wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:My main suggestion to you in a 10 man league is to amass studs. I have found that WR is the best position to land studs for value because generally the top5 WRs are locked in stone and then often fall into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Think of it this way, chances are you are not going to land 2 stud RBs with your first 2 picks no matter who you select. Injuries, busts, flukes, etc. make the top5 RBs shift year after year. And you generally need 2 absolute STUD RBs to win a 10 team league outright. Usually that is just not going to happen.

Now on the other hand if you manage to lock up 2 decent RBs and a STUD WR, it's gonna be a lot easier for you. I would not hesitate to take a WR like Randy Moss or Terrell Owens late in the first or early in the 2nd round because of this.

The greatest misconception of fantasy football is that you can only land decent RBs in the first 2 or 3 rounds. Every there is value to be found at RB if you select the right player. My strategy has been to stockpile as many starting RBs as you can and hope for the best. Guys like Kevan Barlow, Deshaun Foster, Michael Bennett, Duce Staley are falling well into draft because of poor past performances and injury issues. Guys like JJ Arrington, Cadillac Williams, Warrick Dunn fall in the draft because people are worried of their limited upside and other RBs cutting into their production.

Grab 2 of 3 of these guys and couple them with a first round RB and you are looking GOOD at the RB position. Did I mention that you can grab stud WRs in the process?
---

If you really want to dictate how a draft plays out, snap up the studs at the WR position while everyone else goes RB. By the time the third round rolls around and your team looks like:

Alexander (1.03)/Harrison (2.08)/Chad Johnson (3.03), Moss(1.07)/Portis (2.04)/Horn (3.07), Deuce(1.06)/Owens(2.05)/Holt(3.06)...

Other owners will be stuck with the leftovers and risky bets at WR (Javon Walker, Andre Johnson, etc.) while you are free to pick up the leftovers at RB. If you are risk averse, perhaps you grab a stud TE in the 4th round and put off drafting your #2 RB until the fifth round. Then you can grab 2, 3, perhaps even 4 consecutive RBs and not have to worry about suffering at the key position.
---

If the WRs don't fall, the RBs will. Grab a RB in the 3rd round and now you're looking at 2 solid RBs and a stud WR. Now if there is a stud TE in the 4th round, jump all over him....

It really just depends how your draft plays out and what kind of value falls, the main thing you need to keep in mind is to STAY FLEXIBLE and try to draft surething studs. Don't trap yourself into thinking you have to select a player at a certain position unless you absolutely have to. This should NOT occur within the first few rounds of a draft unless you try an unorthodox strategy (QB/WR, WR/WR). You have to take risks to win championships in smaller leagues IMO, drafting safe just gets you to the playoffs.

This may not be the best strategy for everyone but it is one that is very rewarding and I personally love. Props to you Kensat for posting this up for others to read.

As an example of this, last year in my 12 team money league, I picked 3rd, I took SA, then at 2:10 I took Holt, at 3:03 I took C. Johnson and was able to get C-Mart in the 4th. Later I took Julius and Foster(also picked up Onterrio off waivers) who got me through SA and C-Mart's early bye weeks and rolled to the second best record and a trip to the championship game, where i was soundly trounced by a team with Manning, LJ(drafted Priest for the don't like to handcuff, people), Gonzo, J. Walker and Dunn. But the strategy works if you take the right backs in the middle rounds.

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bagobonez » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:48 pm

Brown will be better than Cadillac. I will be surprised if Cadillac sees the end zone more than 5 times all year. Just make sure to pick up Ricky Williams. Don't wait too long and let someone else sneak in and get him. A combo of Ricky/Ronnie is much better than Cadillac.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk