My Opinion (Deuce McAllister) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

My Opinion (Deuce McAllister)

Moderator: Football Moderators

My Opinion (Deuce McAllister)

Postby Ripcord » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:04 pm

Okay so this is my second article and I am proud to write this article about my favourite player in the NFL. Now as most of you would expect my #1 player to be Priest Holmes or even Tony G, and they are tops, But only 1 Chief is in my top players and He is Derrick Johnson,(also a huge Texas fan). So after getting of topic, my guy is Deuce McAllister. I think a lot of people are a little down on the guy because of last season's stats. The guy played through injury and still had 9td's and 1300 total yrds. By my standards that is still a damn good season. I have seen this guy go late in the first or early in the second. Anyway I think this guy is a top 5 runningback, an here are some reasons why.

Okay the first reason why i think the guy is going to be a top 5 runningback is the new offense. The Offense is now a lot more dedicated to the running game. Both Hasslet and Off Coord. Mike Shepard have said they are going to commit to the running game. I think this is because they watched the damn game footage and realized that they only win when they run the ball 25 times a game. The other reason that I think they are going to commit to the running Game is to keep pressure off the incompetent Aaron Brook (This guy can only keep his job for so long). The Saints want to use more play action and the only way to use more play action is to establish a solid running game first. Think of the colts the offense really gets going after James gets a few big gains. With the new Run Heavy offense they will hand the ball to Deuce 25 times a game which will add a great deal to deuce's rushing yards. The Saints also asked Deuce to lose a few pounds so that he could handle the new workload he was about 230 and now is down to around 225. The saints will only win games when they hand off the ball so that's what they're going to do.

Another reason I think Deuce will be a top 5 back is the new additions to the offensive line. This unit was poor at best last year and that really hurt both Deuces stats and also hurt the pass. Teams knew that they could blitz against this team and didn't really have to worry about the pass coverage. So with the additions of Jermane Mayberry and the drafting of Jammal Brown the line should bo very solid and will do an awesome job blocking for both Deuce and Brooks allowing both the run and the play action to develope. So with a couple new additions and the rest of the line being solidified by Wayne Gandy, Lecharles Bentley and I believe Montrae Holland, this line should be a 100 times better then last year. In essence with a better line a breat back like Deuce can only go up up up in stats.

Another reason why I like Deuce this year is the addition of Antowain Smith. Yes I know what you guys are thinkin how could a good back-up help Deuce. Well that's easy with a good back-up it will push Deuce a little harder. Not that he is likely to lose his job, but if in a game he is performing poor he might get hooked and have a fresh back get in there. Now the only problem I see here is that maybe Deuce gets pulled on a goaline carry or two just to get a fresh pair of legs in, but that won't be too much of a worry since Deuce is a big guy. With the addition of Smith, Deuce will only improve maybe Smith can even give him a few tips from a veteren.

another reason I think Deuce is primed for a huge year is because he is a good reciever. Now he's no Barber or Tomlinson or Brian Westbrook. But he can catch the ball out of the back-feild, shown by his 34 receptions and 228 yards. Now thats only 6.7 yrds per catch but that will improve a lot with the up-grade of the line. This guy is a homerun hitter and deffinately has the potential to break a huge run after the catch. I see him breaking a couple on a screen or pass to the flats. I see this guy getting about 4 td's extra out of the passing game.

the last reason that I think Deuce is a top 5 back are the Backs that are currently in the top 5. The top 5 backs that I have seen go are normally LT, Alexander, MCGahee, Holmes, and Edge. Now of those 5 guys only 1 guy is as solid, young and proven as Deuce and that is LT. The other guys have question marks about them. Alexander has a serious contract issue and with him not signing the one year tendor before the no contract disscusion, if seattle were to sign him to a long contract they would lose the right to have the franchise tag for the length of the contract. Although I think Alexander is a great back this would hurt seattle for many years to come (maybe a trade soon, but probely not). The Next guy McGahee, honestly who was the most impressive back last year, I was impressed you were impressed we all were. But I recall only 2 years ago a horrific knee injury. Not to say this will affect him at all but i just want to bring it up cause it made my stomach turn. The real knock on this guy is he really hasn't proven himself enough to really warrat a top 5 pick. He needs to play a full season. When he does he will most likely be one of the top 3 in the league maybe even best. The Next guy although a personal favorite is Priest Holmes. I love this guy, i have a serious hetero crush on him and what he has done for the chiefs. But he has a serious knee/hip problem and will only last 1 maybe 2 years more in the league. He's still a top 5 back but honestly may play 6 games may play 16. The biggest risk/reward player in this game. Now on to my bust of the year pick, Edgerrin James. This guy has bust written all over him, the offense is amazing but honestly he will have a down year. Manning has too many targets in the passing game and I think James has a real knack for not punching it in at the goaline. I remember a game a few years ago were he had 3 cracks at the 1 yard line and couldn't punch it in. So with all these questions I think the solid, long term signed, proven, and young Deuce should be in the top 5 take out who ever you want Deuce Lt and 3 other of these guys should be the top 5.

So to the point I see Deuce getting about 1600 yrds and about 15 td's making him a deffinate top 5 back.

Now remember this is mostly opinion, I have read a lot about this guy and think he is primed fo a hell of a year. Thanks for reading and any comments or opinions are welcomed and appreciated (even if i have to disagree with the opinons causing a witty remark).

Thanks for Reading
"To get the full affects of it you really have to be in my seat"
Ripcord
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:20 pm

Another excellent read Ripcord.

I'm inclined to agree with you and most every point here. I think the top 3 RB prospects are pretty defined, but that after that not much separates the next 10 or so. However, Duece has just as good a chance if not better than Edge or McGahee, Dillon or Lewis, to end up top 5 this year.

That offensive line should definitely be better, my only real concern is just how ineffective that offense has been with so much potential. If they manage to put it all together, those players should be the NFC's version of the Colts or Chiefs.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ripcord » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:44 pm

i appreciate the response.

I think the ineffestiveness of the offense should be solved this year because everyone's job is on the line (except Deuce)
Ripcord
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Bruschi » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:49 pm

I like your analysis - especially since both this and your last post were on my 2 keepers, McAllister and SJax. And in the case of both Haslett and M Martz, I think that they are going to realize that the only way to have a very effective passing game is by having a very effective running game.

I think Manning owes Edge alot for keeping defenses honest and not putting him on hid ass every game. You might notice why NE ALWAYS beats Indy. They ignore the running game and blitz Manning constantly. It gets to him and he makes mistakes. Edge runs wild but Indy gets beat. And that was Edge getting stuffed by Willie McGinest on a 3rd down and goal in Indy 2 yrs ago. The gamewent into OT and the Pats won.

Anyway both Bulger and Brooks have the weapons (though maybe not the talent) to perform even better than theyhave in the past if their respective coaches can get a consistent successful ground game going. That is why the QB coach turned OC in NO is the one pushing the need to establish a ground game.

I whole-heartedly agree with your analysis.
"I didn't do it" - OJ on the stand, October 1994
Bruschi
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby FF Newbie » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:00 pm

You make some fine points, ripcord. The problem is that you say "take out whoever you want" and put Deuce in the top 5. It's really not much of a prediction at all to say Deuce will out-produce at least 1 of those 5 backs. There's an extremely high probability that will happen (about 97% if you assume he has an equal shot to out-perform any one of them). In order to put him in your top 5, YOU have to take one of those other guys out. Which of them are you going to knock out to take Deuce in the top 5?
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CC » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:52 pm

I like this call, I have Deuce ranked 4th overall, so I definetly see where you are coming from Ripcord. ;-D
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:17 pm

Very good read Rip. I think Deuce will have a monster year myself. When you look at what he did last year playing injured behind a bad line, without a FB and with an offence that was not geared towards him. Now that N.O. has realized that they have to run the ball to win games and brought in a new OC and revamped their O-line he could definatly be top 5. I think that once that the O line gels a bit, Deuce will be in for a monster of a second half.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pangbones » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:13 pm

Excellent read. I have Deuce in one of my keeper leagues. I think he'll be top 6 or 7 for sure. I don't know about 15 TD's though. That may be a stretch.
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gladee88er » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:18 pm

You wouldn't have thought people were down on him in an auction draft I just finished. He went for over $60 in a 12 team draft. I was targeting him, but it was too steep for me in a mock draft
gladee88er
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Ripcord » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:51 pm

Well if i were to pick I would take out McGahee. The thing is I rated Deuce Behind LT. I rate him about even with Holmes and Alexander. I just see him as less of a risk then those two which is what makes him so appealing.
Ripcord
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk