Will Brees repeat? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Will Brees repeat?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby benm3218 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:32 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:The KC/Oak defensive upgrades are scary for sure.

Still, Brees will probably throw a decent amount of passes to LT, and for the most part, they are safe. Throws to the TE are moderately safe, also.

Brees and Green have similar situations. They should only use the WR's when they have to because they have nice options elsewhere. Brees could have a very nice year...especially if their pass defense doesn't get better. They could be throwing as much as KC has done.

And at the same time, could KC's new pass defenders make their pass attack less useful? Maybe they can pound it out in the 3rd/4th quarters and not be forced to air it out all day??? :-o

See I am feeling the same way.... In a 2 QB league, don't you think Brees would be a good keeper, if it only cost me my last draft pick???
I know most would keep an RB, but I just think the value of Brees in last round of draft is unbeatable in 2 QB league.... wrong?
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:02 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:The KC/Oak defensive upgrades are scary for sure.

Still, Brees will probably throw a decent amount of passes to LT, and for the most part, they are safe. Throws to the TE are moderately safe, also.

Brees and Green have similar situations. They should only use the WR's when they have to because they have nice options elsewhere. Brees could have a very nice year...especially if their pass defense doesn't get better. They could be throwing as much as KC has done.

And at the same time, could KC's new pass defenders make their pass attack less useful? Maybe they can pound it out in the 3rd/4th quarters and not be forced to air it out all day??? :-o

Oakland made defensive upgrades? HUH?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby moochman » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:08 pm

I think Brees may have been one of those QBs who take a little time to grow into the role. He should continue to be a solid QB with numbers probably around the same yardage, but less TDs. I don't think teams will be so quick to ignore the pass this year.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:09 pm

My bad...don't listen to me. :-)

I say dumb things a lot...I just meant KC. I know they got quite a few new pieces that look good. Oakland appears to be as inept as ever.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby lmcjaho » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:56 pm

benm3218 wrote:See I am feeling the same way.... In a 2 QB league, don't you think Brees would be a good keeper, if it only cost me my last draft pick???
I know most would keep an RB, but I just think the value of Brees in last round of draft is unbeatable in 2 QB league.... wrong?

As a 21st rounder in a 2-QB league this is a laughably easy choice to make unless you are giving up a chance to keep:

LT
SA
Priest

To keep Brees...
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:18 am

Plindsey88 wrote:I think Brees easily repeats those numbers with the return of Reche Caldwell, having McCardell all year, and the drafting of Vincent Jackson, who should be a huge threst (literally) in the redzone....

However, I think his INT's will go up.... Last year that number was lowered considerable by the fact that his main receiving threat was his tightend.... All those passes to Gates gave cornerbacks less of a chance to pick him off.... I think he'll probably be looking at something like 28 TD's and 12 INT's this year....

You forgot that Tomlinson will be healthy this season; that's another target he'll have.

If he's a fluke we have Rivers to fall back on and if he isn't a fluke we have great trade bait. Not a bad situation if you ask me :-) .
davidmarver
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daullaz » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:07 am

lmcjaho wrote:
benm3218 wrote:See I am feeling the same way.... In a 2 QB league, don't you think Brees would be a good keeper, if it only cost me my last draft pick???

As a 21st rounder in a 2-QB league this is a laughably easy choice to make unless you are giving up a chance to keep:

LT
SA
Priest

To keep Brees...

Not to hijack the thread, but I would need to see the rest of you team and each of your player's corresponding picks to comment on this.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benm3218 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:37 am

I also have have Deuce which would mean I had to give up my 1st round pick, then Chris Bown which would be giving up a 6th round pick. So, I like Brees for only a last round give up.
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby PACKman1144 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:25 pm

He won't do bad this year but I don't see him going pro-bowl again this year. He does have some nice weapons to work with (Gates and L.T.) But to duplicate what he did last year would be suprising. But i dont see him doing bad at all 500 more yards, about the same TD's give or take a few, and a 2 or 3 more INT's (he'll be figured out better this year by defenses)
Last edited by PACKman1144 on Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby bellybrother » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:10 am

Kensat30 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
Jimboozie wrote:I think he will have similar numbers as last year. I wouldnt be suprised if all his totals increased. He gets to play KC and Oak 2x each, so thats at least 8+ total tds in 4 games.

plz check out
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=138843

Ummm.... KC already has Surtain, and is very close to signing Ty Law.... Don't look now, but those are 2 of the 3 Pro-Bowl corners for the AFC last year.... I wouldn't count on KC's secondary being a unit that you can push around, anymore....

Whole-heartedly agree. KC's run defense may still be exploitable, but I wouldn't be counting on too many big plays being given up by that defense. Moss is gonna get his against KC X 2, and Gates will probably get his, but other than that I'm not so sure about other more questionable WRs in the division. Surtain and Law are two of the best when healthy.

I don't know that KC's run defense was as bad as it looked last year. They gave up some big games to 4 or 5 backs, but I think that may have been an overall defense problem. Not that they were great, just not as bad as most people think.....I think. I don't have the numbers, but I'm sure someone does. And with the improvements they made in the secondary their run defense should be even a little better.....once again, I think.

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk