My strategy plan(s) ... opinions please! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

My strategy plan(s) ... opinions please!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:53 am

First of all, it's almost always dangerous to say that you "always" will go with a certain strategy, and the "best player available" strategy is no different.

This one comes down to league dynamics. If you know that your league is trade happy, and you know that lots of the owners are just trying to fill out their roster, with little regards to their bench, then going with the best player availagle (especially when it comes to RB's), is a great option.

But, if you know that the players in your league are either inexperienced and don't want to get ripped off, or if they are experienced yet stubborn, then you may not want to be incredibly liberal when it comes to this strategy or else you'll be stuck with 5 starting RB's and Antwaan Randle El as your #2 WR.

Basically, it all depends on who everyone is drafting, and what you know about the owner's trade tendencies.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:38 pm

The problem I see with BPA is that you really cheat yourself when doing it to make sure everything works out.

I mean really, if you think about it, if you literally followed BPA to a tee, you probably wouldn't even end up with any RBs.

Say you pick 8th, by the time your 1st pick roles around you're looking at the "BPA" as likely Manning, in the 2nd you're looking at Moss/Owens over whatever RBs are still there. 3rd round you're looking at a Harrison/Horn as certainly the BPA over the bottom-feeding or rookie RBs. And so on and so on.

I've always had a problem with "strategies" that require you to cheat your own system throughout them. I guess the projection+VBD thing can make a better example to illustrate my point since it uses a more quantitative measurement (numbers), but the idea behind them is the same.

Take Tatum Bell for example. Most people will agree that he's most likely either going to remain the starter in Denver and go for something like 1500/13 or get replaced and go for something like 300/2. Yet to account for the risk surrounding him people "fix" their projections to something like 1000/8. I don't think there's anyone out there that actually thinks Bell is going to put up something like 1000/8, it's boom or bust, but we have to basically cheat the system to put him where we really think he belongs. So if we know where we want to put him, why bother with the projections if they're not "real" projections.

Similarly, with the BPA system at some point you're going to have to "settle" and take someone that you don't really think is the BPA or else you're not gonna end up with any RBs.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Azrael » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:48 pm

BPA is also very subjective. It's better to try to identify where the greatest value exists for you and draft that later while keying earlier on positions you think have the least depth and trying to get the better players there.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby toofunny » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:55 pm

I'm not quite sure how a backup RB is suddenly a top 30 player, on a team with horrid D.

but whatever works for you ;p
toofunny
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:56 pm

toofunny wrote:I'm not quite sure how a backup RB is suddenly a top 30 player, on a team with horrid D.

but whatever works for you ;p

Who was talking about a backup RB? Or are you talking about Bell?
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Football Talk