Eric Shelton Getting Bad Reviews? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Eric Shelton Getting Bad Reviews?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Eric Shelton Getting Bad Reviews?

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:10 pm

A friend of mine recently told me he read in PFW that Panther rookie RB, Eric Shelton hasn't been getting favorable reviews thus far from the Carolina coaching staff. Anyone else heard this, because I haven't been able to find anything regarding this.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bellybrother » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:32 pm

I would like to know this too because I've been targeting him in every mock I've done and planned to keep on picking him in my leagues.

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby koffeeboy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:42 pm

I wouldnt worry too much about this.

Anyway for now he is # 3 on the depth chart and will only get P.T. if Foster or Davis were to go down... No matter how probable that may or may not be.
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flux » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:43 pm

this is the only negative thing ive seen on Shelton, I dont know about the PFW article though

-- Shelton Suffers Mental Errors --
Tue Jun 14, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

The Rock Hill Herald reports as talented as the Carolina Panthers think rookie RB Eric Shelton is going to be, it's hard to know when he'll get to show it. If Monday was any indication, he's still a work in progress, although the Panthers think their second-round pick will eventually be quite good. Shelton walked off the practice field sweating and irritated with his own mental mistakes. "Today I got a little confused out there, a little frustrated," Shelton said after catching extra passes. "But it's just a matter of staying in the playbook and learning what's going on."
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:52 pm

Ok, here is something else I found on PFW...perhaps what your friend was talking about

Bad: There are serious, serious question marks at nearly every skill position on the offensive side of the ball.

Bikoff’s take: Smith has never had to get the job done without veteran WR Muhsin Muhammad by his side. Muhammad bolted for the Windy City during the offseason, so Smith suddenly has to face more attention than he ever has before. Second-year WR Keary Colbert showed promise last season, but he’s unproven and had a tendency to drop passes. Guys like Drew Carter and Karl Hankton have to step up to keep the passing game going. With Davis slow to return from his knee injury and Foster an enigma that hasn’t been answered, there were high hopes that rookie RB Eric Shelton might be able to shoulder some of the load this year. Offseason workouts weren’t encouraging. Shelton has been slow to adjust to the NFL game, and some sources say he is “a long way off” from being a contributor to the offense. Yikes.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Columns/2005/bikoff070805.htm
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:52 pm

Thanks for the post, Flux. I'm not sure if that's what my friend was talking about, but it sounds right. I still have him ranked as a sleeper on my draft boards. With Foster and Davis struggling to stay healthy, Shelton really has an opportunity to make some waves so it will be interesting to see if he can adjust and move up the depth chart.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:36 pm

Foster is going to be a steal on draft day. Why draft the backup in the 10th round when you can get the starter in the 5th round?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Pete123444 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:55 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Foster is going to be a steal on draft day. Why draft the backup in the 10th round when you can get the starter in the 5th round?

I totally agree. Too many people banking on injuries that might not happen. Shelton needs 2 injuries to really get any playing time. And even then if there isn't alot of improvement,we will probably see Nick Goings. Shelton only has value in dynasty leagues.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:17 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Foster is going to be a steal on draft day. Why draft the backup in the 10th round when you can get the starter in the 5th round?

Possibly because in 3 years in the NFL, that "starter" has never even been able to go more than TWO consecutive starts without getting hurt. And that "starter" may or may not even be the "starter" if the other "starter" (Davis) is healthy enough to start at the expense of a measely 12th or so round pick.

Not saying I agree or disagree with your logic, but it most certainly is not as cut and try as you're leading on to.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:24 pm

Free Bagel wrote:

Possibly because in 3 years in the NFL, that "starter" has never even been able to go more than TWO consecutive starts without getting hurt. And that "starter" may or may not even be the "starter" if the other "starter" (Davis) is healthy enough to start at the expense of a measely 12th or so round pick.

Not saying I agree or disagree with your logic, but it most certainly is not as cut and try as you're leading on to.

Stephen Davis is coming off an injury where doctors drilled holes in his knee in order to strength it. Add that to the fact that he is 32 years old and you can call me skeptical when we're talking about him being ever playing in the NFL again, let alone being a starter in the SAME YEAR HE HAD THIS SURGERY. Granted Foster had the same surgery as S.Davis once upon a time and fully recovered from it.. but he was 25 years old and he had to sit out the entire season before fully recovering from it.

And from all the reports I've read, Stephen Davis has not been practicing with the team or running at full strength, let alone making cuts on the knee at this point in time. If you regard Stephen Davis as a "starter", I wouldn't know whether to call you optimistic or fanatic... Kinda eerie how the Panther's went out and spent a 2nd round pick on a RB that is proportioned just like S.Davis and has the same running style...
---

Deshaun Foster is not free of injuries himself, but as far as I know he hasn't had a major reconstructive knee surgery in the offseason and he is perfectly healthy as of right now. All the reports coming out of Panther's camp have Foster getting the majority of the reps with the first string offense. He hasn't had a great track record in the NFL as the starter thus far, but why else would you expect to see him in the 5th and 6th rounds when he's a great rushing team like the Panther's.

The name "Fragile Fred Taylor" should be evidence enough that you can't just totally disregard a player because of his injury history. Just look at the 40+ consecutive starts he strung together the past 3 years after generally being regarded as the most injury prone RB in NFL history.

When you spend a 5th round pick on the starter for a team like the Carolina Panther's that just screams value to me. If I can ride him for his "2 consecutive healthy games" and then trade him, that's what I'll do. But I'm not going to avoid value like that just because I'm afraid he'll hurt himself.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Football Talk