Need help with Overhaul of my scoring system..Please - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Need help with Overhaul of my scoring system..Please

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need help with Overhaul of my scoring system..Please

Postby SonsofSlam04 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:49 pm

Hey fellows.. I ran a 10 team H2H keeper league. Over the past few years I have tried to enliven the amount of points scored by teams in my league and now I have just created a mess...

Can you guys please share with me some of your scoring systems, specifically ones that value TD's scored YD's gained about equally.

Thanking you in advance ... (Failed) Mad Scientist
SonsofSlam04
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mtryanks12 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:57 pm

Welcome to the cafe, we hope to see you around. If you would like to see what makes the cafe truly great be sure to PM one of us and ask about "MTR's social and sexual life." ;-D :-b

This is the most common scoring system around here:

QB: 25/4
INT: -2
RB/WR: 10/6
Fumble: -2

Kicking:
3 points per field goal up to 39 yards
4 points per field goal between 40 and 49 yards
5 points per field goal over 50 yards
1 point per extra point

Defense:
1 point per sack
2 points per interception or fumble recovery
6 points per defensive touchdown
2 points per safety
10 points for allowing 0 points
7 points for allowing 1-6 points
4 points for allowing 7-13 points
1 point for allowing 14-20 points
0 points for allowing 21-27 points
-1 point for allowing 28-34 points
-4 points for allowing 35 or more points

If you want to make this league VERY high scoring, I've had fun multiplying every # here by 10, so TD's are worth 60 for example. Very interesting.....;

Hope this was what you were looking for, and good luck revamping your scoring system for your league. ;-D ;-D

Also, if you would like to check out some other scoring systems, check out some of the mock drafts or league forums. Most of them will have a sticky or thread explaining the league scoring. ;-)
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby socceryank » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:04 pm

Our scoring system is nearly identical, except we increased the defensive points for a shutout to 15, 1-6 points allowed to 10. We felt that if your defense performs that well, it should drastically increase the chances of you "beating" the opposition (similar to "real" football).
socceryank
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

MTR ... thank you for your feedback .. ?? though

Postby SonsofSlam04 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:20 pm

Once again thank you for your suggestions...

You listed the following
QB: 25/4 Does this mean 25 Pts for a TD and 4 Pts per yd?
RB/WR: 10/6 Does this mean 10 pts for a TD and 6 pts per yd?
Can you please explain ..

Sorry if I am asking a retarded question .. I just want to get my scoring system up to par ... Thanks again ... Have a good night!
SonsofSlam04
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mtryanks12 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:22 pm

socceryank wrote:Our scoring system is nearly identical, except we increased the defensive points for a shutout to 15, 1-6 points allowed to 10. We felt that if your defense performs that well, it should drastically increase the chances of you "beating" the opposition (similar to "real" football).

What I don't like about this is that then defenses can get you mad points, like the about of points that a QB could get for a 300 yard passing game with 3 TD's. I don't think that the most easily replaceable part of your team should get as many points as your top players. Heck, you could draft Baltimore D in the first round and get as many points as a top RB.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Re: MTR ... thank you for your feedback .. ?? though

Postby socceryank » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:23 pm

SonsofSlam04 wrote:Once again thank you for your suggestions...

You listed the following

Sorry if I am asking a retarded question .. I just want to get my scoring system up to par ... Thanks again ... Have a good night!

1 pt for every 25 yds passing/4 pts per passing TD
1 pt for every 10 yds rush/receive; 6 pts rush/receive TD
socceryank
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: MTR ... thank you for your feedback .. ?? though

Postby mtryanks12 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:24 pm

socceryank wrote:
SonsofSlam04 wrote:Once again thank you for your suggestions...

You listed the following

1 pt for every 25 yds passing/4 pts per passing TD
1 pt for every 10 yds rush/receive; 6 pts rush/receive TD

yep, that's it. Sorry if I misled you or confused you. ;-D
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby socceryank » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:28 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:
socceryank wrote:Our scoring system is nearly identical, except we increased the defensive points for a shutout to 15, 1-6 points allowed to 10. We felt that if your defense performs that well, it should drastically increase the chances of you "beating" the opposition (similar to "real" football).

What I don't like about this is that then defenses can get you mad points, like the about of points that a QB could get for a 300 yard passing game with 3 TD's. I don't think that the most easily replaceable part of your team should get as many points as your top players. Heck, you could draft Baltimore D in the first round and get as many points as a top RB.

That is a valid point, but it has not factored in as much as you would think. Shutouts are very rare (which is why we increased it...that effort should be rewarded), and if a TD is scored it brings them to the 3rd points category (7-13), which is the same as the previously listed system. It makes rooting for a shutout late in the game more interesting, but unfortunately, most times the team "pitching" the shutout go to a prevent defensive and end up giving up a FG or TD.
socceryank
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mtryanks12 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:32 pm

socceryank wrote:
mtryanks12 wrote:

That is a valid point, but it has not factored in as much as you would think. Shutouts are very rare (which is why we increased it...that effort should be rewarded), and if a TD is scored it brings them to the 3rd points category (7-13), which is the same as the previously listed system. It makes rooting for a shutout late in the game more interesting, but unfortunately, most times the team "pitching" the shutout go to a prevent defensive and end up giving up a FG or TD.

That's true, but I wouldn't want a shutout to make or break the result of a matchup. That would be like making a 2 point conversion worth 20 points.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby socceryank » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:44 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:
socceryank wrote:
mtryanks12 wrote:

That's true, but I wouldn't want a shutout to make or break the result of a matchup. That would be like making a 2 point conversion worth 20 points.[/quote

Another way to look at it: it makes the defense a little more valuable. One reason why QB passing TD points were reduced to 4 from 6 were to lessen the emphasis on QBs. With this small alteration, it rewards an outstanding defensive effort.

Think about it...in a "real" game, if your team only lets up between 0-6 points, there is a high likelihood you win, so why not increase your chances of winning that week in fantasy?

This also rewards those defenses that may not get a lot of TO's. Makes waiting on a defense during the draft a more difficult decision.
socceryank
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk