Rules named after Players. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rules named after Players.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:12 am

Didn't Derrick Thomas have a rule made for him?

He used to draw false starts from the offense by doing little twitches and head bobs. I think they added a penalty for that.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VaderFin » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:50 am

lmcjaho wrote:
Azrael wrote:Are you still allowed to call a timeout to clear off a portion of the field with a machine if it is very snowy?

I thought they made a rule against altering field conditions with a machine in the middle of play.

Yeah - they outlawed that one a couple years back after the Pats game and the groundskeeper with the mini-plow...

That guy was no groundskeeper. He was a convict out on work patrol! :-D
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:57 am

I wish they'd make a Johnny Morton rule: Under no circumstance will a player be allowed to do the worm.

Wasn't there a no-pile driving rule enacted after Terry Bradshaw's neck was broken? Can't remember who the player was.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:35 pm

Guttpuppy wrote:Here's how it went down...

9/10/78

The Raiders were trailing the San Diego Chargers 20-14. They had the ball on the Charger 23-yard line with only 5 seconds left. Ken Stabler faded back to pass, but was caught by Woodrow Lowe before he could get rid of the ball. In desperation he intentionally fumbled it forward. The ball bounced ahead to FB Pete Banaszak at the 11-yard line. Surrounded by Chargers, Pete decided to kick the ball forward himself rather than try to cover it. It reached Dave Casper at the 5-yard line. Casper kicked it into the end zone and pounced on it, recovering the 23-yard forward fumble for the winning touchdown. The Chargers were furious but the play was legal and stood. It was quickly made illegal, though, following the season, and the rule outlawing it is often called "the Raider rule."

Also, the 5-yard chuck rule was made for Mel Blount's aggressive style of play. :-)

so shouldn't this say:

the Ken Stabler rule -- on fourth down or any down in the final two-minutes of play, if a player fumbles, only the fumbling player can recover and/or advance the ball. Enacted in 1979.

"only the fumbling player can advance the ball" ?
because other offensive players can still recover it, they just can't run with it or kick it forward.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:36 pm

Also wasn't there a rule enacted to stop the Broncos o-linemen from leg whipping or cut blocking?

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ironman » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:40 pm

Mookie4ever_ffc wrote:
Guttpuppy wrote:Here's how it went down...

9/10/78

The Raiders were trailing the San Diego Chargers 20-14. They had the ball on the Charger 23-yard line with only 5 seconds left. Ken Stabler faded back to pass, but was caught by Woodrow Lowe before he could get rid of the ball. In desperation he intentionally fumbled it forward. The ball bounced ahead to FB Pete Banaszak at the 11-yard line. Surrounded by Chargers, Pete decided to kick the ball forward himself rather than try to cover it. It reached Dave Casper at the 5-yard line. Casper kicked it into the end zone and pounced on it, recovering the 23-yard forward fumble for the winning touchdown. The Chargers were furious but the play was legal and stood. It was quickly made illegal, though, following the season, and the rule outlawing it is often called "the Raider rule."

Also, the 5-yard chuck rule was made for Mel Blount's aggressive style of play. :-)

so shouldn't this say:

the Ken Stabler rule -- on fourth down or any down in the final two-minutes of play, if a player fumbles, only the fumbling player can recover and/or advance the ball. Enacted in 1979.

"only the fumbling player can advance the ball" ?
because other offensive players can still recover it, they just can't run with it or kick it forward.

I remember seeing that on my old VHS copy of "The Not So Great Moments in Sports" hosted by Tim McCarver. That was a great video. Other moments it highlighted were George Brett's Pine Tar Incident, The Heidi Bowl, the USSR vs. USA basketball game in the '72 Olympics, and Sidd Fynch. :-D
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:43 pm

What about the Donte Stallworth rule? It has something to do with not being able to have any contact with an agent and then go back to school. They pulled it out on Marquise Hill last year.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ironman » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:51 pm

Don't forget the Joe Theismann rule, which requires dopey ex-QB's to become football announcers/analysts on TV. :-D
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:41 pm

Isn't there a Warren Sapp rule made after he obliterated that guy from Green Bay? Something about not being allowed to block guys who have no bearing on the play.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Re: Rules named after Players.

Postby bagobonez » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:15 pm

Guttpuppy wrote:From some guy on a Steelers board.

the Bronko Nagurski Rule -- forward passing made legal from anywhere behind the line of scrimmage. Enacted in 1933. Prior to this rule change a player had to be 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage to throw a forward pass.

the Deacon Jones Rule -- no head-slapping. Enacted in 1977.

the Deion Sanders rule -- no excessive end zone celebrations.

the Emmitt Smith Rule -- no taking your helmet off on the field of play. Enacted in 1997.

the Eric Williams rule -- no hands to the facemask by offensive linemen.

the Fran Tarkenton rule -- a line judge was added as the sixth official. Enacted in 1965.

the Lester Hayes rule -- no "stickum" allowed. Enacted in 1981.

the Lou Groza rule -- no artificial medium to assist in the execution of a kick. Enacted in 1956.

the Mel Renfro rule -- allows a "double touch" by the offense. Enacted in 1978.

the Michael Irvin rule -- no taunting. Another rule, resulting in offensive pass interference, prohibiting WR's to push off CB's, is also often called "the Michael Irvin rule."

the Roy Williams rule -- no horse-collar tackles. Enacted in 2005

Wow. Half of these were made to keep Dallas players from doing what they do best. Imagine that.

Funny how there are no Eagle rules huh?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk