Ricky Williams - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ricky Williams

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby allstarqb » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:17 pm

Since he will still have to sit out the first four weeeks because of his old suspension, and I would think he would be out of "football shape" after a year off, I would guess he will split carries as a third down back or something. I just don't see him ever becoming the workhorse he used to be.

Thanks Flockers for this sig
allstarqb
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:38 pm

I think Ricky will get a shot at his job after the suspension. Why?

I can't see Ronnie Brown putting up much stats against Denver, NY Jets, Carolina, and Buffalo.

He should atleast be in a mixed role when he comes back. After Brown craps out in the first 4 games against those tough defenses I think Saban will be itching to see what Williams can do for him.

I don't put much stock in the whole "not in football shape" for a year. Overrated. Isn't that the same predicament guys with serious season ending injuries are in? They really can't train much until they are rehabbed and often times come back just fine. So he gets winded a little more often and needs subbed a few extra plays. Big deal.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby TheHeat24 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:53 pm

Tyr wrote:...for as much fun as everyone pokes at Ricky, he's still been kept in EVERY keeper/dynasty league that I'm in.

The only way I can see Ronnie Brown being worth an early pick are in currently existing deep keepers and dynasty leagues, and frankly, even before the season starts, I think next year's batch of NFL eligible RBs will be a far better prospect.

I kept him in my league through last year... He was my number one pick(Number 1 overall) in 2003... I had no plan on keeping him this year but he decided to come back....

As for next years rb prospects, I think this years Rb class is better(deeper for sure) than next years will be however a lot of the runningbacks went to bad situations, namely marion barber, vernand morency and ciatrick fason (temporarily) who i think all could start eventually in the nfl and will shine if they get their shot... But Next year does have a big three like this year in D. Williams, L. Maroney and G. Riggs... All of whom I really like

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby PACKman1144 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:21 pm

Ricky will end up starting there. like was said before Ronnie Brown was just a combine wonder. The few times i saw him play in college he made some the dumbest desisions on the field i've seen i.e. running back-ward, trying to do to much, etc.

just because Ricky made some stupid desisions doesn't mean the man can't ball. He wont be the player that he was before this whole incident, at least this year. But nonetheless he'll be solid.

But as was said before dont pick either to your fantasy team ronnie brown will only be the main back for 4 games then i believe as the season progresses the carries will be split 75%-25% in favor of williams unless brown just does something spectacular early on.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby toofunny » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:54 am

Kensat30 wrote:I wouldn't touch Ronnie Brown with a 10 foot pole this season. Ricky Williams is not some run of the mill RB you can just dismiss. He missed one year (not due to injury mind you) and people think he's over the hill? Willis Mcgahee missed a season due to a knee pointing the wrong direction and a year later he's the freaking messiah.

It's fun and all to crack Ricky jokes and make stoner references, but does anyone honestly think his skills have diminished that much? Ricky is 28 years old and has proven he can reliably handle FOUR HUNDRED carries in a season (2002 AND 2003) and be very effective with them. This guy was a fantasy first round pick before his retirement for a reason.... <b>HE'S PROVEN ALL PRO MATERIAL</b> Uppercase and bolded for those people who tend to forget that.
--

Brown being the least talented of the big 3 in my mind, I would be very scared that Ricky not only makes a big contribution to the team this year, but perhaps Miami hangs onto him for the future as well. Remember how Ronnie Brown was only a late first round prospect before the combine? Guess what, he's still a late first round pick with good measurables, just like Troy Williamson. If you want to count on him as the sure-thing Dolphin's feature RB with Ricky Williams still in town be my guest.... *cough* sucker *cough*
---

Honestly, I don't know what the coaches are going to do with this situation... All I know is that I am supremely more confident in former All-Pro Ricky Williams than I am in #2 draft pick Ronnie Brown. IF Ricky gets traded, THEN Ronnie Brown may be worth an early pick, but personally, I still won't draft him there. As it stands right now, I feel that Brown should be closer to an 7th or 8th round pick, with Williams perhaps lasting a round or two later.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ricky Williams going before Ronnie Brown in drafts before the season begins.

Wow that's probably the best post I've read on this place in a long time.
toofunny
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:04 pm

The major problem I have with this guy is all the pissin'-n-moanin' he was doing about getting all those 400+ carries. Do you think he changed his mind? He's already proven that he will quit on his teammates, so Saban will likely not give him the rock and say like it or leave it. He will coddle the little baby and split the carries up so wittle Wicky doesn't get tired. Screw this punk, I'm not touching him. No way I'm gonna be the guy who says," Aww man! That shoulda been Ricky's TD!", or "Damn! Just 5-10 more carries and I would have won this week!", or last but not least," He retired...AGAIN? I knew I should have just drafted Taco Wallace instead!".
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby moochman » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:20 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:The major problem I have with this guy is all the pissin'-n-moanin' he was doing about getting all those 400+ carries. Do you think he changed his mind? He's already proven that he will quit on his teammates, so Saban will likely not give him the rock and say like it or leave it. He will coddle the little baby and split the carries up so wittle Wicky doesn't get tired. Screw this punk, I'm not touching him. No way I'm gonna be the guy who says," Aww man! That shoulda been Ricky's TD!", or "Damn! Just 5-10 more carries and I would have won this week!", or last but not least," He retired...AGAIN? I knew I should have just drafted Taco Wallace instead!".

But how do you really feel? :-b

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:27 pm

moochman wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:The major problem I have with this guy is all the pissin'-n-moanin' he was doing about getting all those 400+ carries. Do you think he changed his mind? He's already proven that he will quit on his teammates, so Saban will likely not give him the rock and say like it or leave it. He will coddle the little baby and split the carries up so wittle Wicky doesn't get tired. Screw this punk, I'm not touching him. No way I'm gonna be the guy who says," Aww man! That shoulda been Ricky's TD!", or "Damn! Just 5-10 more carries and I would have won this week!", or last but not least," He retired...AGAIN? I knew I should have just drafted Taco Wallace instead!".

But how do you really feel? :-b

I wonder how many more hours on a couch Ricky owners have logged than the rest of us...
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Football Talk