Strange league, draft opinions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Strange league, draft opinions

Moderator: Football Moderators

Strange league, draft opinions

Postby Jbyrdo » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:25 pm

Ok this is a weird league I joined within my school. It seems like no one is a fantasy "expert" (not that I am even close) and the roster and settings are strange. This league is going to have somewhere from 14-18 people (14 right now, but 18 max) and is for money so hopefully no one will be screwing around.

Roster Positions: QB, QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/T, W/T, W/R, W/R, K, D, D, D, DB, DB, DL, DL, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Stat Categories:
Passing Yards (50 yards per point)
Passing Touchdowns (6)
Interceptions (-2)
Rushing Yards (20 yards per point)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Reception Yards (20 yards per point)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Touchdowns (7)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (7)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Point After Attempt Missed (-1)
Tackle Solo (0.5)
Tackle Assist (.25)
Sack (2)
Interception (2)
Fumble Force (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (7)
Safety (3)
Pass Defended (1)
Block Kick (3)

So, what I am wondering, is what my strategy should be for the draft. I have a possiblity of starting 4 running backs, should I try to draft 4 starting backs as best I can, or should I try to get 2 good QBs as they do get a lot of points? The problem is, if 18 people all need 2 QBs and 2 RBs, that leaves for 36 positions on roughly 32 starting players.

I am not even going to draft any defensive players until the very end, because all undrafted players go to the free agents(???) instead of waivers.

I really am not sure what I am going to do for this draft. I might just have to draft whatever is there, because if I get the 13th pick for example, there aren't going to be any normal first rounders left.

Any input is helpful. And sorry for the very long post.
Jbyrdo
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby allstarqb » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:11 pm

Personally I don't know anything about IDP's so I wouldn't have the defensive guys as a major part of my strategy. My guess is that there are a lot of MLBs out there who will put up consistent points by making tackles. I would say take the best player available regardless of position, but look for high TD guys instead of high yardage guys with your league settings.

I have played in leagues like this ( without the IDP),and in a league where we started 5 WR's and 3 RB's I spent my first 3 picks on Moss, Harrison, Holt, last year's big 3. I was surprised I got them, but the strategy of loading up at one position didn't work because I ended up having to trade Harrison for and RB anyway. Therefore I would say take the best player available.

P.S. the post wasn't too long; it was good that you put your league settings and roster positions in.

Thanks Flockers for this sig
allstarqb
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:57 pm

Ridiculous league if you ask me. A bunch of fantasy novices going into an EXTREME league like this is going to be more headache than fun.

14 Owners that regularily start:

2 QB (28)
3 RB (42)
5 WR (70)
2 TE (28)
7 IDP (98)

and only have 5 bench slots each?!?
---

Do you guys know the fourth string players on every roster in the NFL? Because those players are going to be starting every week for some teams. Throw in yahoo scoring and you get one big major cluster@%#!....

My strategy to you... get as many starting players as you can. Starting QBs, starting RBs, starting WRs, startnig TEs, and starting IDPs.... better yet get your entry fee back and get in a league worth your time.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:10 pm

I wouldnt touch that league just because of the bench alone. Its too small. You'll literally need to use waivers to find backups and hope you can pick back up the guys you dropped. You don't have enough for one backup per position, which is insane.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pete123444 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:55 pm

With that league, I would go RB,RB,RB,QB,QB,RB,QB,REC,REC,REC,REC,REC,REC. (REC would be either wr or te,best available up to 3 te's) My last 3 picks would be k,DB,DB. Whoever gets the best 4 RB's and 2 QB combination will be in the driver seat of this one.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby PACKman1144 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:12 pm

the dumbest scoring system i've ever seen... and i've seen some bad one's

I'd rather stick my face in a blender than play in it
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby agchris02 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:06 am

1) there is no where NEAR enough bench slots
2) starting 4 rbs in an 18 team league -- thats ridiculous
3) i would not have any predraft plan set out -- what i WOULD do is rank all my QBs and RB's and draft ALL OF THEM first, just have them all on one list and take the best one avaible, qb's will be gold too -- Id take a Collins of JJ Arrington in that league IF I already had 3 other RB's (or maybe even 2) as a 3rd qb because of trade value.

use ALL of yoru bench spots for QB's and RB's, no one else is worth it. Dont draft an IDP until you have all your offensive starters, and probabaly most of the bench ones as well. Looking at draft projections Id probably go RB (unless I can get manning), RB, QB, RB, QB, QB, RB, RB, RB
agchris02
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:34 am

Two MAJOR problems with this league....

1) You cannot start 2 QB's and 2 RB's in 18-man leagues..... It's impossible.... There are not enough STARTERS to go around, much less enough back-ups.... You should either cap your league at 14-teams, or reduce these positions to 1 starter....

2) There are not nearly enough bench spots.... You can't have 5 guys backing up 20 starters.... Injuries will destroy teams, and you will have guys who quit the league 3 weeks in when one of their studs gets hurt, and they don't have a back-up.....

If you are going to make this an 18-teamer, you need to adjust your roster spots as follows:

(1) QB, (1) RB, (2) WR, (1) WR/RB flex, (1) TE, (1) K, (3) D, (2) DB, (2) DL, (10) Bench

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:54 am

If you do decide to go with these roster settings and 18-teams (or even 14 teams), you'll want to draft RB's and QB's until there are no more viable ones to draft.... I would probably be drafting like this:

RB, RB, RB, QB, QB, RB, QB.....

If you can somehow manage to nail down 3 starting RB's, 3 starting QB's, and a RB who has a chance of starting (Ricky Williams, Michael Pittman, Lebrandon Toefield, etc....) you'll be in pretty good shape....

I would be targetting something like this through 7 rounds:

Portis, Julius Jones, Michael Bennett, Bulger, Palmer, Staley, and Eli Manning

Then I would spend most of the rest of the draft filling in at WR and/or TE.....

There are only 32 NFL teams, so if you can nail down the starting RB for 4 of those teams, and the starting QB for 3 of those teams, you'll leave 28 RB's and 29 QB's to be split between the other 17 teams in the league.... Less than 2 a piece to go around.... Which means a good portion of the rest of the league will not even have enough starters to fill in their rosters every week....

Your defensive positions can be filled late, or off the wire....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby catch22 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:57 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Ridiculous league if you ask me. A bunch of fantasy novices going into an EXTREME league like this is going to be more headache than fun.

14 Owners that regularily start:

2 QB (28)
3 RB (42)
5 WR (70)
2 TE (28)
7 IDP (98)

and only have 5 bench slots each?!?
---

Do you guys know the fourth string players on every roster in the NFL? Because those players are going to be starting every week for some teams. Throw in yahoo scoring and you get one big major cluster@%#!....

My strategy to you... get as many starting players as you can. Starting QBs, starting RBs, starting WRs, startnig TEs, and starting IDPs.... better yet get your entry fee back and get in a league worth your time.

Couldnt have put it any better. Waste of time.
"If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is.......... it's you."

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!!
catch22
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk