Dynasty: Ranking the OTHER RBs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dynasty: Ranking the OTHER RBs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dynasty: Ranking the OTHER RBs

Postby GMoney » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:52 pm

again, we all know who the top 4 RBs in this years draft class where but where do the others fall, who had a chance to make an impact this year, and whos never gonna see anything but a kick return?

Ciatrick Fason (Min)
Vernand Morency (Hou)
Frank Gore (SF)
Marion Barber III (Dal)
Ryan Moats (Phi)
Maurice Clarrett (Den)
Eric Shelton (Car)

honourable Mention: Kay-Jay Harris, Brandon Jacobs, Darren Sporles.

Also, where do these guys rank with other RBs who were drafted in similar positions in years previous.... Who will get the shot at being a legit FF back first?

Ex. Cedrick Cobbs
Greg Jones
Chris Perry
etc.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:19 pm

Shelton - Davis may not play again, Foster is unproven and wont sign an extension. Shelton could prove himself a cheaper long term RB option and take over by next year.

Gore - For a team with so many needs to draft a RB when they could've gotten a starter at another position just to be a backup makes no sense. I think their faith in Barlow is shaken if not gone.

Morency - Houston seems obsessed with having a reliable backup for DD, and I believe he's in a contract year, meaning a rookie like Morency could be a cheap option.

Clarrett - Denver RBs usually last 2 years tops, so Clarrett could get a shot. Considering Denver kinda reached for Clarrett, Shanny must see something he likes.

Fason - When Tice finally gets canned, and Minny has a shot have not having a RBBC, Fason could be a big hit. Long shot, but big payoff if it comes through.

Moats - If Westbrook doesn't make a reasonable deal with Philly, don't be surprised if Reid lets him walk and runs with Moats.

Barber - More talented in my opinion than several of the above mentioned backs, but he's stuck behind a 2nd year featured RB. His upside is only a TD vulture, not good.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:23 pm

Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby GMoney » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:26 pm

alright... but whos gonna get a shot first then for example? Cobbs (behind Dillon) or Fason, or Shelton.... are any of these players ACTUALLY talented enough to be starting RBs? or are these teams just gonna draft 1st round RBs next year?
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:31 pm

Everything I've heard is that Mike Tice loves what he's seen from Fason and plans to use him. Big shock, they use everyone. But, with Onterrio out, Moe aging and Moore and Bennett unable to shoulder the load, there's a very nice opportunity for Fason to emerge. A bit has to happen, but the opportunity should be there.

As for Dillon's backup, I would look to Kevin Faulk before I looked to Cedric Cobbs.

There are a lot of posts in here about Shelton. I've heard that he's having some issues with learning the system and making a smooth adaptation, but he's pretty much in the same situation as Fason is. Both Fason and Shelton are very talented, Fason put up very nice numbers for Florida and Shelton was a beast in Louisville. The talent is certainly there, but they both need the opportunity to play which is certainly a possibility given their situations.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:09 am

Watch out for Moats. He's a good back, very much in the same mold as Westbrook. That being said, I would definitely put Shelton at the top of that group. Beyond that, IMO it is a crapshoot.

Shelton

Gore
Moats
Morency
Barber

Clarrett
Fason
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:34 am

Moats presents an interesting situation. Westbrook only signed a one year deal, so he's expendable after this season. Moats is somewhat of a Westbrook clone, so after this year Moats will come by the cheap and could replace Westy. Moats is not an every down back, but certainly a valueable keeper if he become the starter in 2006.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby MadScott » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:55 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Moats presents an interesting situation. Westbrook only signed a one year deal, so he's expendable after this season. Moats is somewhat of a Westbrook clone, so after this year Moats will come by the cheap and could replace Westy. Moats is not an every down back, but certainly a valueable keeper if he become the starter in 2006.

This is something that I've been thinking about too. Moats may be in position there next season to start seizing the reigns. Some of that though is going to be predicated on Buckhalter's performance, or hopeful performance, this year. At any rate, Moats is a talented RB that could be a nice fit for that offense should they lose Westbrook.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk