Frisco - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Frisco

Moderator: Football Moderators

Frisco

Postby bellybrother » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:57 am

Not really any individual player's from there, I already know what I think of Barlow and EJ, but in general, what is the feeling about Nolan and what he'll bring to the team?

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bravos of Steel » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:04 pm

I still don't see them being any good. :-)
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:28 pm

SF will be a big part of most defensive matchup strategies. ;-D
:-b
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bellybrother » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:41 pm

Well, obviously. I was talking about in the next coupla years. Is Nolan gonna be able to turm the franchise around? Is he gonna be able to bring a hard nosed winning mentality to the bay? Is management gonna be as inept as they have been? Is Nolan a Marvin Lewis kinda guy or an Erikson kinda guy?

bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Santacruzer » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:09 pm

I think he brings in respect. Even though they will lose quite a bit in the next couple of seasons, I think he will help them at least keep their dignity, and show that they are heading in the right direction.

I think he's more of a Marvin Lewis, and nothing like Erickson.

I can see the same thing with Saban in Miami. Instant respect and credibility even without the wins.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bellybrother » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:42 pm

Santacruzer wrote:I think he brings in respect. Even though they will lose quite a bit in the next couple of seasons, I think he will help them at least keep their dignity, and show that they are heading in the right direction.

I think he's more of a Marvin Lewis, and nothing like Erickson.

I can see the same thing with Saban in Miami. Instant respect and credibility even without the wins.

That's what I'm lookin for.

bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:46 pm

Nolan is going to focus on the strength of the team, the defense and the LBs in particular.

He switched the Niner's to a new scheme this year (3-4) and traded some people that just didn't fit (Engelberger). Julian Peterson in particular looks like the prototypical WLB in the 3-4 scheme. Other underappreciated players such as Jamie Winborn and Andre Carter should make an impact in their new positions as well. I think this is the right move to start from scratch and redefine a defense that was very poor last season. No one expects anything in 2005 for SF, so now is good time to test players and see what works and what doesn't.

On the offensive side of the ball, the main difference lies in the philosophy as well. Nolan appears to have chosen to strength the core of the offense (o-line) in both the draft and FA so that young and maturing QBs/WRs have time to gain experience and develop. The RBs may actually gain more than 2 yards on any given play when there is blocking. The most positive aspect of the offseason, is that the Niner's were willing to go out and spend some coin on an LT, and prove that it maybe it was the Niner's front office (Donahue) that was botching things, and it wasn't coming from the owner's box (holding out hope).
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby MadScott » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:43 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Nolan is going to focus on the strength of the team, the defense and the LBs in particular.

He switched the Niner's to a new scheme this year (3-4) and traded some people that just didn't fit (Engelberger). Julian Peterson in particular looks like the prototypical WLB in the 3-4 scheme. Other underappreciated players such as Jamie Winborn and Andre Carter should make an impact in their new positions as well. I think this is the right move to start from scratch and redefine a defense that was very poor last season. No one expects anything in 2005 for SF, so now is good time to test players and see what works and what doesn't.

On the offensive side of the ball, the main difference lies in the philosophy as well. Nolan appears to have chosen to strength the core of the offense (o-line) in both the draft and FA so that young and maturing QBs/WRs have time to gain experience and develop. The RBs may actually gain more than 2 yards on any given play when there is blocking. The most positive aspect of the offseason, is that the Niner's were willing to go out and spend some coin on an LT, and prove that it maybe it was the Niner's front office (Donahue) that was botching things, and it wasn't coming from the owner's box (holding out hope).

Spot on, although I'm still not as positive as you are about the front office having completely turned around. Time will tell with that if/when the team shows signs of life and need that extra guy.

I actually think Nolan and Singletary will provide the spark and hard nosed attitude that has been lacking in that defense for a few years now. From a fantasy perspective, the defense may return to 2003 form where they could make a respectable spot or matchup start because of the turnovers and sacks that they can produce.

Their hiring of the former Saints O coordinator McCarthy signals the return to the WCO for sure rather than the "I can't make up my mind what I want to do" offense under Erickson last season. It does worry me a bit though that McCarthy had such a talent in Deuce and underutilized him in goalline situations, but we'll see.

This team actually played their hearts out last year for Erickson, they were just hammered by injury and left devoid of talent because of that and bad personel decisions. Hopefully that is all changing.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GMoney » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:56 pm

yep i daresay the niners D will crack the top 15 this year with ease.

Nolan and Singletary are just plain old-school dont take no crap from nobody coaches who command effort and respect. What people seem to forget about the niners last year was that we had season ending injuries to.... BOTH our starting CBs, 2 of our starting LBs (including all-pro peterson), and a D Lineman.

Because of our crappy cap management over the past 8 years we just had 0 cash to go and sign a decent backup. those 5 players back make a HUGE difference.

On the offensive side of the ball The O-Line has had a major rehaul and i dont think Nolan is quite done yet, id bet he takes another highly touted O-Lineman in the first 3 rounds next year but it is vastly improved from last year. The signing of Warhop to coach this team was a very big addition as well. Hell teach them how to play.

McCarthy (o-Coordiatior) is sure to pass alot, which should suit Smith just fine down the line, not sure how effective his system will be this year though will all the redzone passing he likes to do. But wait and see.

I think the Rams and the Cards are still just too talented for us to win the division like Nolan wants to..... But who knows if we can win 3 of those 4 games we are a chance. The seachickens will be rubbish this year. I think another 8-8 or 9-7 team will win the division this year..... i just cant see the niners winning that many with their current offence but i dont think 6 is outta the question.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby koffeeboy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:20 pm

3-13. Top pick in 06'.
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk