Javon Walker - officially not reporting to training camp - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Javon Walker - officially not reporting to training camp

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby MIPackFan » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:36 pm

As a Packer fan this sucks, as a team that had him as my leading WR last year, double sucks. But in round 15 when we draft our X player, he is all mine!!! Just in case he does play......somewhere.
A quote that sums up the Vikqueens and their yearly late season demise: "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."-Bullettooth Tony (Snatch)
MIPackFan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby chadschwarze2 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:41 pm

I dont get all this talk about holdouts. Have athletes just become bigger jerks because I didnt hear anything like this last year.
chadschwarze2
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:56 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
Flux wrote:haha, well it figures. Just completed a trade to get Walker...sorry folks, this must be my fault.

We'll see though, its more talk until camp actually starts

Well the way your team looks now this may be the only hope the rest of us have.

Considering Foster was his #4 RB :~( Walker probably sacks up and plays and Flux is the undefeated champ.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:00 pm

chadschwarze2 wrote:I dont get all this talk about holdouts. Have athletes just become bigger jerks because I didnt hear anything like this last year.

Isn't football the only major sport without guaranteed contracts? You gotta play for this season and this season only, and I guess Javon figured 500k is not enough for him to risk the career ender. There is plenty of threads that argues the ethics of this situation though, let's try to keep on the opinions on the topic "Will Javon play for the Packer's this season?"

I'm starting to think that Driver is going to be the #1 WR going into game 1. And that Robert Fergueson is now a major sleeper candidate as the potential #2 WR there. Anyone have information on the current #4 WR in GB (#3 if Javon holds out)?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:12 pm

Drew Rosenhaus wrote:"We've made the decision that we're not going to report to training camp. And I can't say when we will report, or if, or when, but he will not be at camp,"

One of the most annoying things about this is the agent/player talking like they are having a baby together or something...:-b

What he really means is:

"I've made the decision that he's not going to report to training camp. And I can't say when he will report, or if, or when, but he will not be at camp, because I am his mommy, and I won't allow him to play with those other boys right now."

;-7 ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby koffeeboy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:22 pm

Redskins Win wrote:I didn't know that agents had to report to training camp. :-B

Now, he really drops off my rankings. Even if this does get settled before the season begins, Favre will be looking to throw to anyone else, this might increase the Bubba Franks value.

It won't increase Franks' value at all at this point.

Green Bay designated him their Transition player. As of today he still hasn't signed it and along with Grady Jackson and Javon Walker is holding out for something long term as well.
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flux » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:22 pm

Drew Rosenhaus is a piece of crap. Thats all there is to it.

He only gets paid if he negotiates a contract. So when he gets guys who are already under contract, he is working for free essentially, until that players contract expires. He just gets in the head of every new client. Telling them they are worth xxx amount and they are so much better than these other players making mad $$$.

Its all stupid, Rosenhaus is OBVIOUSLY only looking out for himself, and not his clients. Some player is totally going to get screwed by these tactics, and hopefully (for my sake) its not Walker
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ravage » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:01 pm

Here's a couple of points that may make a difference in your rankings of Walker.

1)The Packers have an unwritten policy that they generally won't increase a salary of a player who has more than one year left on their contract. I'm sure it has happened but not often. Walker has two years left on his.

2)A trade? Doubtful. Last year they bowed to the pressure and traded McKenzie to NO. If they do it again they will have the same problem occurring again and again.

3)Favre is know to pick out a WR in camp that he clicks with and often rides that player as long as he can. The longer Walker holds out, even if he comes back before the season starts, the lower his numbers are.

4)I know Walker is a good WR, but these guys all forget that Favre makes a WR not the other way around. i.e. Find one WR who had the same statistical success after they left GB.

5)The ball is in Rosenhaus' court now. Not Walker's. Walker has decided Drew knows best. Like was commented earlier Drew gets nothing for 2 years unless Walker gets a new contract.

In a redraft I would trade Walker for some mouthwash at this point.
ravage
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby toofunny » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:14 am

ravage wrote:Here's a couple of points that may make a difference in your rankings of Walker.

1)The Packers have an unwritten policy that they generally won't increase a salary of a player who has more than one year left on their contract. I'm sure it has happened but not often. Walker has two years left on his.

2)A trade? Doubtful. Last year they bowed to the pressure and traded McKenzie to NO. If they do it again they will have the same problem occurring again and again.

3)Favre is know to pick out a WR in camp that he clicks with and often rides that player as long as he can. The longer Walker holds out, even if he comes back before the season starts, the lower his numbers are.

4)I know Walker is a good WR, but these guys all forget that Favre makes a WR not the other way around. i.e. Find one WR who had the same statistical success after they left GB.

5)The ball is in Rosenhaus' court now. Not Walker's. Walker has decided Drew knows best. Like was commented earlier Drew gets nothing for 2 years unless Walker gets a new contract.

In a redraft I would trade Walker for some mouthwash at this point.

You would? Wow, I want to play with you.

It's HIGHLY unlikely he sits out the whole year or even 1 game. They want to sign him to an extension, just not this year. They wanted one more year of cheap stud play. They are not going to let thier best young stud walk, or sit out. Their D sucks, and they are under pressure to win now. Farve has 1-3 years left, it's no time for the best WR to sit out.

At this point, it's July, and it's all talk. Once Philly starts getting bonus money back (TO said it was 50/50 at this point, which means its 100% if he starts losing money) Walker will probably follow right in line. When both sides start acting tough, that's when one usually blinks and gets a deal done.
toofunny
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby MadScott » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:38 am

Flux wrote:Drew Rosenhaus is a piece of crap. Thats all there is to it.

He only gets paid if he negotiates a contract. So when he gets guys who are already under contract, he is working for free essentially, until that players contract expires. He just gets in the head of every new client. Telling them they are worth xxx amount and they are so much better than these other players making mad $$$.

Its all stupid, Rosenhaus is OBVIOUSLY only looking out for himself, and not his clients. Some player is totally going to get screwed by these tactics, and hopefully (for my sake) its not Walker

Yeah, but he saves drowning kids..... :-b
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk