Warpigs' Sure-fire Sleepers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Warpigs' Sure-fire Sleepers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby thrash » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:38 am

I would prolly classify these guys as more "underrated" or "under the radar" than sleepers, but all in all a good list ;-D
thrash
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MadScott » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:13 am

maddog60 wrote:I'm all about drafting Steve Smith in the 4th round this year. I think he's got huge upside, and is really getting over-looked because of his injury.

If I remember right, he was near consensus top 10 wasn't he? Jeesh people's memories are short.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:59 am

Kensat30 wrote:
Azrael wrote:Good picks. Heath Miller could turn out to be a TE of starting fantasy caliber this year. Great value for a pick that can be had in the last couple rounds.

I would rather try my hand with a vet in a new situation like Marcus Pollard or Doug Jolley. Rookie TEs are worse than rookie WRs when you're trying to predict fantasy value.

Shockey is the only guy who rings a bell for a really successful rookie. I can't think of another example of a rookie TE being an impact player. And there is several "servicable" non-rookie TEs that can be had in the last round as well.

what about Antonio Gates?

All in all nice suggestions WP. though I still cringe when I think of drafting barlow . . . again.[/b]
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:13 am

maddog60 wrote:I'm all about drafting Steve Smith in the 4th round this year. I think he's got huge upside, and is really getting over-looked because of his injury.

If I were, we had Moss, TO, Marvin, Holt, CJ, Ward, AJ, Boldin (until injury), Coles, Mason, D-Jax, and Steve Smith. Those were the guys I remember most frequently being in the top 10-12.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:15 am

Redskins Win wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
Azrael wrote:Good picks. Heath Miller could turn out to be a TE of starting fantasy caliber this year. Great value for a pick that can be had in the last couple rounds.

I would rather try my hand with a vet in a new situation like Marcus Pollard or Doug Jolley. Rookie TEs are worse than rookie WRs when you're trying to predict fantasy value.

Shockey is the only guy who rings a bell for a really successful rookie. I can't think of another example of a rookie TE being an impact player. And there is several "servicable" non-rookie TEs that can be had in the last round as well.

All in all nice suggestions WP. though I still cringe when I think of drafting barlow . . . again.[/b]

Antonio Gates was a sleeper candidate because he had a good 2nd half in 2003. 2004 was his breakout year, not his rookie year.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:19 am

Redskins Win wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:

Gates only showed promise as a rookie. He didn't really provide any useable stats until last year, when he exploded. If I can get Barlow in the 6th, maybe I'll take him. That team just sucks, and he didn't exactly do much to make me think he can carry a team that can't help itself. But at the right price, sure, I'll give him a shot. Smith is definitely being overlooked right now, but I guarantee by draft day (if you are smart enough to wait out the pre-season) he will have made leaps and bounds back towards the top ten. I'm a fan of Lefty. I drafted him last year expecting big things, and got to see some flashes. I will definitely draft him in the right spot this year, and in my league I can almost guarantee he'll be there. Not too bad of a list, but I, like others have a hard time buying into Barlow. I made the wise choice of avoiding him last year, maybe this year I should give him a shot.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby ChyBoy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:08 pm

I like Steve Smith to rebound in a big away, due to my biggest sleeper, Jake Delhomme. He is averaging in the 9th round and I believe that is way to late for him.

I think Heath Miller will wind up with only about 25 receptions but about 7 will be TD's. Like Bubba Franks.
ChyBoy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Warpigs' Sure-fire Sleepers

Postby Goatwhacker » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:05 pm

Warpigs wrote:
RB: While I ranted and raved AGAINST this guy last year, I'm targeting him this year. Yes, I mean Kevan Barlow. Let's face it, the guy isn't going to be worse than last year, and considering how low he is going in many drafts, he is a great value addition for any team as a third RB. He will bounce back some this year with defenses unsure of what to expect from rookie QB Alex Smith, and I also expect Barlow to get a lot of dump-off passes when defenses come in for the blitz. Mark my words, the team that gets Barlow in your league in the fifth or sixth round third-RB option will be an early contender for your playoffs. Having a legitimate starting RB as your backup is a huge addition -- not only to cover for injuries and bye weeks, but also because of trade value. Targeting Barlow in the middle rounds could also be a strategy for some of the league all-or-bust daredevils who want to take players such as Randy Moss, Tony G, Antonio Gates, etc. early. RB depth is solid enough this year to allow this in some cases.

Arrrggghhhh, excuse me I've having my daily Barlow-induced emesis. This guy showed NOTHING last year, it wasn't like he was having moments of brilliance limited by his supporting cast - this is a guy who ran weakly into the line, fell down and blamed the coach for poor play-calling. He had to fight to keep his starting job over Maurice Hicks, whose number I doubt the HOF has on speed-dial. Frank Gore is mentioned on the front page of the Cafe as a sleeper mainly because Barlow was so bad.

Towards the end of last year Barlow had zero trade value, no one was dumb enough to trade for him. Alex Smith is a rookie QB who will be fine one day but for now is not going to take any pressure off of Barlow. The only positive I see is that the 49ers have worked to improve their O-line.

Your other picks I like OK, especially Steve Smith whose future mainly depends on how his injury has healed.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:16 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:
Warpigs wrote:
RB: While I ranted and raved AGAINST this guy last year, I'm targeting him this year. Yes, I mean Kevan Barlow. Let's face it, the guy isn't going to be worse than last year, and considering how low he is going in many drafts, he is a great value addition for any team as a third RB. He will bounce back some this year with defenses unsure of what to expect from rookie QB Alex Smith, and I also expect Barlow to get a lot of dump-off passes when defenses come in for the blitz. Mark my words, the team that gets Barlow in your league in the fifth or sixth round third-RB option will be an early contender for your playoffs. Having a legitimate starting RB as your backup is a huge addition -- not only to cover for injuries and bye weeks, but also because of trade value. Targeting Barlow in the middle rounds could also be a strategy for some of the league all-or-bust daredevils who want to take players such as Randy Moss, Tony G, Antonio Gates, etc. early. RB depth is solid enough this year to allow this in some cases.

Arrrggghhhh, excuse me I've having my daily Barlow-induced emesis. This guy showed NOTHING last year, it wasn't like he was having moments of brilliance limited by his supporting cast - this is a guy who ran weakly into the line, fell down and blamed the coach for poor play-calling. He had to fight to keep his starting job over Maurice Hicks, whose number I doubt the HOF has on speed-dial. Frank Gore is mentioned on the front page of the Cafe as a sleeper mainly because Barlow was so bad.

Towards the end of last year Barlow had zero trade value, no one was dumb enough to trade for him. Alex Smith is a rookie QB who will be fine one day but for now is not going to take any pressure off of Barlow. The only positive I see is that the 49ers have worked to improve their O-line.

Your other picks I like OK, especially Steve Smith whose future mainly depends on how his injury has healed.

We look at things differently. Last yr we railed against Barlow going so high because he was on a poor team with no passing game, one of the worst OLines in the NFL, and their D wouldnt be able to keep the score close enough to maintain a viable running game. We were right. Notice how Barlow's skill isnt even factored in.
This yr, Barlow regularly goes in the 6th rd or later. You can basically pick him up as your #4 RB easily. Looking at SF, one can say they addressed their OLine issues quite a lot, their passing game got a little better with the signing of Morton, and Ratay entering the yr healthy. Combine with the fact that their D got a lot better with players returning from injury and the SF offense can now run the ball as a viable threat. Once again - it has not a lot to do with Barlow's skill.

Barlow is either a value pick or a sleeper depending on your defenition - either way Im looking at targeting him sometime after the 6th rd.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Goatwhacker » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:10 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:This yr, Barlow regularly goes in the 6th rd or later. You can basically pick him up as your #4 RB easily.

If you are getting Barlow in the 6th as your #4 RB you have used only 2 picks for QB, WR and TE (assuming you're leaving defense and K until the end). Unless the draft is unfolding strangely I don't like this strategy. My leagues don't use flex so maybe that would change things somewhat
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk