My Opinion (Michael Clayton) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

My Opinion (Michael Clayton)

Moderator: Football Moderators

My Opinion (Michael Clayton)

Postby Ripcord » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:47 pm

Okay so now in my 3rd installment of the My Opinion article I have decided to turn my attention to a WR that i think will be a top 10 wr this year and maybe a top 5 in years to come. I'm talkin about Michael Clayton, yes it hurts me as well to say that the Bucs have a shining star on their team but it is true the Bucs have a great Wr. I picked this guy up last year after McKardell announced he was holding out, Clayton became my nuber 1 wr after I had traded away Harrison and had injurys to Steve Smith and Charles Rogers. As soon as I put Clayton in he never let me down. He had a monster season and I believe that this season could be even bigger. This is the first article that I'm writing nnot because I drafted the guy or becasue I'm thinking about drafting the guy, this is an article about a guy that I know will lead many teams to championships and an amazing value since i have seen him go in as late as the 7th round. the &th freakin round for a young guy who is willing to make the tough catches and can make plays after the catch. I really compare this kid to a young Terrel Owens, he is 6-4 and although he's a little under weight, is extremely tough and willing to catch the ball over the middle. So who wants to hear the reasons why I think this guy will have a better year then last, (and since you have read this article up to now you must want to know) so keep on readin.

Ok so the first thing he will no longer have to deal with the revolving door that was the Bucs QB. I mean come on what could possibly be the worst case scenario for a rookie WR, having to learn the tendencies of 3 count em three freakin QB's. As a young WR Clayton had to join an offense he has never played in, learn the system, learn his routes, deal with a new coaching staff, which is where most rookies struggle, but Clayton did that and made the starting roster over Tim Brown. But even after all this The guy has dumbass Qb after dumbass QB come in and try and run this offense. Brad Johnson was obviously past his prime comming into this year and spent a few weeks trying to prove he's still worth a damn, which he isn't. Then Chriss Simms comes in and shows why he hasn't takin the Job from Brad Johnson. Then finally Brian freakin Griese comes in and shows that spark that he had back in Denver. Finnally a Qb that can run an offense. When Griese got in there he began a good relationship with Clayton. So with this not being an issue going into the season Clayton should only benifit from a little consistence at QB.

So another reason to expect a big season from him is the fact that this guy is fearless over the middle. The guy is 6'4 and has great hands. I think this guy will ctach anything that is thrown his way. I compare this guy to T.O. because neither guy is scared of catchin the ball between the safeties and both can make plays after they catch the ball. The guy is also the number 1 wr going into this year and that boost in confidence should motivate him into avoiding the sophmore slump that tends to hit players. So with Clayton as the number 1 you'd figure that he might get a lot of double teams and thus stalling his great season. But with Galloway on the other side, Becht at TE also Alex Smith in any 2 te formations and any of the runningbacks going out into the flats teams will have to respect the passing game and all the options that they have. So although some double teams will occur it will not happen enough to impact Clayton's stats.

Okay so where do i think he should be drafted in this years fantasy drafts, I think with a solid 1300yrd season and most likely 8 tds. I think it is a good bet that he should be drafted around the top ten wr's. Deffinately a better option then D-Jax or Coles or Boldin. So as for the round I would say late 4th or early 5th. If you can get this guy any later then this it would be a steal.

I realise this article is a little shorter then the last 2 but really you can't write too much about a wr that has only played 1 year. I just wanted to point out some reasons that i think point to a season that will either be on par with last seasons but has a chance to be even more productive.

Once again I thank you all for reading, and I appreciate any feedback.
"To get the full affects of it you really have to be in my seat"
Ripcord
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigGAME101 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:16 am

Personally, I wouldn't say that Grieise is a far superior QB than Brad Johnson, but they are rather different types of QBs. Johnson was never the type of guy to lock onto a single player and only throw to that one guy. He was a great fit for the west coast system. The main point here is that Griese did in fact find his one man, and that happened to be Clayton. I think Clayton really benefitted from a very disrupted Bucs team last year, and brought a spark to the O. This year, with Caddy in the lineup, with Galloway back in shape, and with Griese still at the helm, I think Clayton will be in for a good year. Realistically, I wouldn't expect a whole lot more than this past year, since the system is not geared that way...but even a year similar to last will make for a very good no.2 WR... at this point, I wouldn't want him as a no.1 though. In a dynasty, selecting him in the 5th round is a great value pick IMO.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby CC » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:59 am

I like Clayton I don't see more than 1300 and 9 or less than 1000 and 6 though. I'd say he is one of those picks where you get what you pay for. I don't see any type of breakout season.

I don't have any real reason for thinking this, but this is how I see this season w/ the situation Clayton is in.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:04 am

I agreed with you no your first two, but I don't think he is going to have a great season. I just don't think he is very good, that's all. :-/
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Clayton or Burleson?

Postby tds04 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:06 am

I have been hearing and reading about how and why Michael Clayton will post monster stats this year but I am wondering if he is worth, say, a 4th round selection? I am also thinking about Nate Burleson with my 4th round pick. I think Burleson has more upside because of Daunte. I am still not completely sold on Griese. However, Clayton seems to have more natural ability than Burleson. Which one do you guys like better?
tds04
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:48 am

Id much rather have Clayton than Burleson.

I have serious questions about Burleson, and no - beating up on terrible pass Ds for a handful of games last yr proves nothing about him. Let me see what he can do with no Moss and as the #1 WR all yr before I make my judgement.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:17 am

Here was my steal of the year for FF. 8 man keeper league.

Last year, I picked up Clayton after week 1 on the waiver wire. Then I dropped him in week 3 to pick up a defense for my bye week replacement. The Week that I dropped him he had his first big game against Denver going for over 100 and a td. I tried to pick him up, but the commissioner of the league grabbed him from right under my nose. I just let him go to the best players team, I was livid! I didn't pout, I got creative and put my brain to work. I had Santana Moss as my #2 wr and he was having a miserable start to the season, but I knew the Commiss was interested in him. So I spun him a deal which he actually bit on: Santana Moss for Michael Clayton and next years 2nd round pick. He told me that he thought S Moss was in for a huge 2nd half of the year, lol. So I potentially got a keeper player in Clayton and a high draft pick for Santana Moss! It was sweet.

Anyways, back to the topic. I really like Michael Clayton..he is big and quick and has is a high football IQ. Maybe most importantly of all, he has a thrive to be one of the best football players ever. Almost all great WRs have that cockiness, that desire to be the best out there. Maybe I am a little biased cuz I saved my fantasy team by dealing for Clayton, but I really like him.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:37 am

For what it's worth:

Clayton (knee) will likely be limited for precautionary reasons when Tampa Bay's training camp opens, the St. Petersburg Times reports.

Clayton had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in February and saw only limited activity in this spring's minicamps and optional workouts. He shouldn't be a health risk when the regular season starts, but he'll be brought along slowly in the preseason.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tanner » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:50 am

ook what he did as a rookie last year!! keyword=rookie..

we all know what the #1 WR in a Gruden offense does..
he's going to be the Tim Brown for TB..

certified top 10 WR..
light years ahead of Andre Johnson, despite what you read..
Johnson has a lousy QB throwing to him, with a lousy line, and lousy #2,#3 Wr's opposite him. Galloway is better than anyone in that Houston offense..
so why is Andre ranked #9 fantasy receiver in every mag out there?
I don't get it..
Clayton is the Real Deal..
tanner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Another beer please » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:29 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Id much rather have Clayton than Burleson.

I have serious questions about Burleson, and no - beating up on terrible pass Ds for a handful of games last yr proves nothing about him. Let me see what he can do with no Moss and as the #1 WR all yr before I make my judgement.

Sounds like you've already made your judgment, tool. You could write a Bill Clinton length novel with all your Viking bashing. Are you a little too excited about your squad this season?
Another beer please
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk