Ben Watson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ben Watson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ben Watson

Postby PackerAttack84 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:41 pm

What do you guys think about him?

Do you think he is a legit #1 TE? What about for the future, does he have good dynasty value?

Comments?
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:08 pm

Good dynasty value, but until Daniel Graham stops being Brady's top red zone threat, he's going to hurt significantly in fantasy value.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Santacruzer » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:58 am

I wish he didn't get hurt in the first game of the year last year, so we would have more to go by.

But, he was a first round pick (32nd), and was given the start for the first game of the year. For him to not be a factor would be a suprise, and a waste of a first round pick.

NE still has Christian Fauria who is entering his 11th season, as well as 4th year man, Daniel Graham.

I don't see Fauria being much of a (receiving) factor, but with both Graham and Watson battling for attention it is hard to say either will have a great year. I do think that Watson could have the better year, but unless it's a dynasty I'm not drafting him and just keeping an eye on him for now. (I have also been staying away from Graham for these same reasons).
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:36 pm

Santacruzer wrote:I wish he didn't get hurt in the first game of the year last year, so we would have more to go by.

But, he was a first round pick (32nd), and was given the start for the first game of the year. For him to not be a factor would be a suprise, and a waste of a first round pick.

NE still has Christian Fauria who is entering his 11th season, as well as 4th year man, Daniel Graham.

I don't see Fauria being much of a (receiving) factor, but with both Graham and Watson battling for attention it is hard to say either will have a great year. I do think that Watson could have the better year, but unless it's a dynasty I'm not drafting him and just keeping an eye on him for now. (I have also been staying away from Graham for these same reasons).

Watson is the Dallas Clark to Graham's Marcus Pollard. IF you expect NE to throw for 50 TDs he's going to make a pretty decent starter at TE for you. More likely, he's probably going to be a decent bye week filler / injury replacement.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby gtabaplayr » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:44 pm

Watson looked great last preseason before his injury. The Patriots planned on shifting more towards a 2 TE system as opposed to the spread offense that everyone had been accustomed to seeing on the field. I think they will again try to use the 2 TE system which will be tough on opposing teams to defend especially since there will not be a "strong side". Watson could be a real nice sleeper this year and will surpass Graham's production. He's probably worth a flier if you missed out on other top TE's, I would certainly put him on your watch list if you are weak at TE.
gtabaplayr
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flux » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:18 pm

Graham is just an amazing blocker and will more than likely be used as such. Watson is an amazing receiving TE and will more than likely be used as such.

Watsons ceiling for produciton is a lot higher than all but a few TEs in my mind, but of course, he could be worthless like many other TEs
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby catch22 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:19 pm

I dont feel comfortable with any NE TE....Brady has no problems spreading the ball around, and NE isnt Indi.
"If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is.......... it's you."

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!!
catch22
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TTTBone » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:47 pm

Flux wrote:Graham is just an amazing blocker and will more than likely be used as such. Watson is an amazing receiving TE and will more than likely be used as such.

Watsons ceiling for produciton is a lot higher than all but a few TEs in my mind, but of course, he could be worthless like many other TEs

Pretty much my opinion also.
Graham works more of the blocking this year, while Watson gets the majority of the TE catches.
Long-term Watson is a good late round guy to pick up in a dynasty, and a definate "keep an eye on" guy in the rest of your leagues.
Right now he isn't worth a draft pick in your 10-12 owner keepers and redrafts, but definately one to snipe on the WW if he performs early.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby bellybrother » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:04 pm

I like other sleeper TE's better(Putzier, Jolley, Cooley) but think there is a chance for him to catch some balls. Brady really spreads it around though and has been said, it's not like NE puts up crazy passing numbers.

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby koffeeboy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:52 pm

He's a solid # 2.

I just dont think he is a top 12-15 TE... which would be the pool of starting TE's in most 12 team leagues.
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk