Thoughts on Donald Driver? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thoughts on Donald Driver?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby MadScott » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:04 pm

I will agree with you both in that he now possibly gets overvalued.

I was just thinking about this a bit too. With anymosity brewing between Favre and Walker, I'm wondering if Favre doesn't make a concious effort to feed the ball to Driver more than Walker to drive home a point.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan04 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:06 pm

The guy who could really benefit from Walker holding out is Ferguson, who right now is really undervalued.
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby bellybrother » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:07 pm

MadScott wrote:I will agree with you both in that he now possibly gets overvalued.

I was just thinking about this a bit too. With anymosity brewing between Favre and Walker, I'm wondering if Favre doesn't make a concious effort to feed the ball to Driver more than Walker to drive home a point.

I don't know about that. He wants Walker in camp. He wants to win and will throw the ball to whoever's open.....now if they're both open...................

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bellybrother » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:07 pm

steelerfan04 wrote:The guy who could really benefit from Walker holding out is Ferguson, who right now is really undervalued.

Yessir.

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby messyjesse1 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:28 pm

Yes Driver will get much more attention from CBs around the league, but in the world of fantasy, this situation couldn't be better for Driver owners. :)
messyjesse1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:35 pm

I think if Walker continues to holdout, Driver's ADP will slide closer and closer to his true value. I wouldn't want to spend more than a 5th round pick on Driver... I have Driver as a relatively safe WR to reach the top20 WR status, but I don't know that he has the upside of other WRs that are selected in the 4th round like Darrell Jackson or Nate Burleson.

I have him currently slotted to go for: 75/1100/9

IMO, if Walker sits out the year, the real boost in value goes to WR Robert Fergueson (he would start in Walker's place) and to a lesser extent RB Ahman Green and TE Bubba Franks (greater emphasis on secondary passing options).

Walker brings a lot of things to the table.. and it's really hard to judge how his absence will affect Driver. At first I thought great, now Driver gets all the targets... but in order to do that you really have to downplay the impact that Walker brings to the game. He is one of the few WRs in the NFL that is strong in every aspect of his game. Single cover him short and he overpowers you to make the first down. Single cover him down the field and he outleaps you and goes for 6. IF CBs try to tackle him one on one, he's got a good chance of breaking loose.

People don't seem to realize how much affect Walker has on the deep coverage that opposing secondaries run against GB. Similar to Moss and Chad Johnson, you can't single cover Walker down the field and expect to get away with it. Therefore you can't really double cover Driver in '04. Without the dynamic that Walker brings, Driver will see a lot more targets, but he will have to fight through a lot more coverage to get open and make easy catches.

I think Driver can overcome the added coverage and convert some extra targets on his own skill set, But it could really hurt his big-play and YAC ability if he is constantly swarmed by bodies in the secondary. For a WR that routinely averages 14-15 ypc when healthy, Driver could take a signficant hit in that regard.. How much would the extra targets help to offset the big plays? It's hard to say.

I would modify his numbers to look more like 85/1100/8 without Walker.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk