TO news on ESPN - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

TO news on ESPN

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:52 pm

allstarqb wrote:OK Javon, now its your turn! ;-D

You can't really compare the two. TO was a star veteran who knowingly signed his deal a year ago. Walker was a rookie who had no real options but to sign a deal 3(?) years ago that makes him the 119th highest paid player in the league. 119th 8-o
It's assinine for the Packers not to reward him. It just makes no sense not to.

TO is just trying to do what ever he can to get traded so he can renegotiate a new deal, methinks. I'm glad he is being adult and doing what's best for his family :-b The knob.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:59 pm

If TO didn't report to training camp on time, he risked losing 4 times what Walker is schedule to make this season in bonuses alone. Not to mention being penalized 6K a day and jeopardizing his $3+ million contract.

TO was never going to holdout into the regular season, he has too much money on the table. Sure he would have held out during training camp, that is not that uncommon as people think (Walter Jones did it for like 3 consecutive years)... TO is such an ass they would have recouped his bonuses, he had to show up. And he has to play... if he wants to get paid.
---
Walker's contract size is the bonus teams pay their RB for leading the league in yardage or their QB for going to the pro-bowl... HE can hold out and sell his jewelry and still come up with more cash than he is losing.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby MadScott » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:12 pm

Kensat30 wrote:If TO didn't report to training camp on time, he risked losing 4 times what Walker is schedule to make this season in bonuses alone. Not to mention being penalized 6K a day and jeopardizing his $3+ million contract.

TO was never going to holdout into the regular season, he has too much money on the table. Sure he would have held out during training camp, that is not that uncommon as people think (Walter Jones did it for like 3 consecutive years)... TO is such an ass they would have recouped his bonuses, he had to show up. And he has to play... if he wants to get paid.
---
Walker's contract size is the bonus teams pay their RB for leading the league in yardage or their QB for going to the pro-bowl... HE can hold out and sell his jewelry and still come up with more cash than he is losing.

He's got to be asking himself, "WWJD?" :-b
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby koffeeboy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:25 pm

Thank the Holy Fantasy Sports Heavens!!!

Now Shaun Alexander needs to be next and my season is set!!!
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby hayesb26 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:15 pm

moochman wrote:
allstarqb wrote:OK Javon, now its your turn! ;-D

You can't really compare the two. TO was a star veteran who knowingly signed his deal a year ago. Walker was a rookie who had no real options but to sign a deal 3(?) years ago that makes him the 119th highest paid player in the league. 119th 8-o
It's assinine for the Packers not to reward him. It just makes no sense not to.

TO is just trying to do what ever he can to get traded so he can renegotiate a new deal, methinks. I'm glad he is being adult and doing what's best for his family :-b The knob.

Sure you can compare the two.

As a rookie, why would sign such a long deal for so little money (for a star anyway, money-wise), if you thought you'd be a big star in a few years. It's the same in both situations IMO -- You agreed to the length and the money of the contract. Honor it.
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:13 pm

koffeeboy wrote:Thank the Holy Fantasy Sports Heavens!!!

Now Shaun Alexander needs to be next and my season is set!!!

Shaun Alexander is no real threat to hold out. No one in their right mind will turn down a $6 million dollar payday.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby aussieboy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:49 pm

Apparently this is on espn.com:

Terrell Owens has stated that he'll report to training camp on time.
Owens told the Philadelphia Inquirer that ''...the bottom line is that I still believe I deserve a new contract. I still believe I deserve more than what they've given me. But I'm not stupid. I'm not about to miss training camp, get fined every day and give them even more reasons to keep from paying me... I'll be there but I won't be happy, I can tell you that much.'' While Owens' agent Drew Rosenhaus went on to clarify that Owens' statement ''is not definitive.'' This is just another move in this chess match. Most league sources believe that Owens will report on time, but you just never know with him. Assuming that he is suited up for week 1, he's a number one wide receiver for you fantasy squad regardless.

Although It's good he's going to camp, I don't like his motives for doing it. It's not that he wants to rejoin his team mates and get the season rolling, it's so he doesnt get fined and allow the Ealges organisation to hit him where it hurts. The fact he won't be happy at camp could cause a lot of disharmony within the team. The only good thing could be if some of his teammates pull him aside and try and encourage him to stop all this BS. I don't like the chances of that happening though.

[/quote]
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby defianthart » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:10 am

Drew Rosenhaus has responded to a report in Friday's Philadelphia Inquirer stating that his client Terrell Owens would report to the Eagles training camp rather than hold out. "We haven't made any decisions yet that are final," Rosenhaus told ESPN Friday night after speaking with Owens. "Even if he does report to training camp on time, that does not mean we're going to stop pursuing a contract and that does not mean he will not leave at some point down the road. If we can't get this worked out, sure it's going to be a distraction. How can it not be?" Rosenhaus went on reiterate that he doesn't believe a final decision will be made until August 1—the day that camp opens—and that there is still just as good a chance that Owens will not report to camp as there is that he will.
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:22 am

hayesb26 wrote:As a rookie, why would sign such a long deal for so little money (for a star anyway, money-wise), if you thought you'd be a big star in a few years. It's the same in both situations IMO -- You agreed to the length and the money of the contract. Honor it.

Owens is one of the top three WRs in the league and knew his standing before signing a contract for multi-millions of dollars a year.
Walker was an unheralded rookie who had no leverage because he was an unknown quantity. He couldn't even be sure of where his talent would rank him by NFL standards. The deal he took might have been the best one offered at the time.

A distiguishing factor is that TO signed a contract for an elite player, while Walker signed a rookie contract and has way out-preformed it's value.
What seems lost here, at least to me, is what are the Packers thinking? Do they thing that underpaying Walker and having a hostile hold out is going to help their team? Walker will have lots of teams that will pay him when his next contract comes up, and if the Pack doesn't pay him now they may not get a chance to pay him later.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby MadScott » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:04 pm

moochman wrote:
A distiguishing factor is that TO signed a contract for an elite player, while Walker signed a rookie contract and has way out-preformed it's value.
What seems lost here, at least to me, is what are the Packers thinking? Do they thing that underpaying Walker and having a hostile hold out is going to help their team? Walker will have lots of teams that will pay him when his next contract comes up, and if the Pack doesn't pay him now they may not get a chance to pay him later.

I don't want to hijack this thread nor come across too harsh, but please, "way outperformed it's value?" The contract is a multi million dollar contract, and yes, he did have one very nice year of 89/1382/12, but the last time I checked, one good year does not a career make. Ever heard of the term one year wonder? I'm not saying that Walker is going to be that, but the possiblity does exist.

Back to TO, again at the crux of this deal, he defied the NFLPA's advice when initially signing this contract. They told him not to sign it as it wasn't in the players overall best interet (ie, he was lowballing the WR pool) and yet he opted to do it anyway. When is it okay for him to start taking accountability for his own actions and basic stupidity in this whole process. He's the ultimate victim .
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk