Point per Reception Leagues-Advice Please - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Point per Reception Leagues-Advice Please

Moderator: Football Moderators

Point per Reception Leagues-Advice Please

Postby aussieboy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:30 pm

Hey guys, what do you guys think about PPR leagues?

I was wondering why more people don't do them, i've never participated in one. It seems to me, adding a point per reception makes WR and the very elite TEs about as valuable as the RBs (after the top tier ones).

Do any of you take part in these sorts of leagues, and if so how would you have drafted different after learning what you did throughout the season? Some things I can think of off the top of my head are:

-LT2 becomes a fantasy beast, moreso than he already is.
-Receiving RBs become more valuable
-TGonz, Gates, Witten become extremely valuable-but where would u draft them?
-The stud WR/possesion WR become more valuable

Can anyone help me out with some PPR draft strategies that they learnt after competing in their leagues. For example, if you get a mid to late pick, is worth going Randy Moss-TO etc?
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby PACKman1144 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:42 pm

Last year i was in one and our scoring was horrible. I dont know whether if that can only be attributed to the ppr or not beacause there were so many things wrong with our scoring because our commish was awful. To keep a league in balence with ppr i believe that u'lll have to raise all the other points for other categories as well. Just because of my bad experiance last year i wouldn't play with points per a reception again
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby FeArMeNtL » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Well I have competed in a PPR league for some time now and I have to tell you its fantastic. All you have to do is go to a certain site and put your league rules in them and you dont have to worry about the commish since the site tallies your points for you. I feel though the PPR is great since now the WR and TE are worth more now. This gives people taking people like Gonzo who with this PPR rules a good #1 WR and a great #2. It really is good for RB who get a lot of balls out of the backfield aka Brian Westbrook and Edge because they could have an off day running but everytime you get a catch, you basically get 10 yards running. I feel that the PPR puts a more dynamic way of thinking and picking people. ;-D
[img]http://mywebpage.netscape.com/mercerboy3/fearmesig.jpg [img]
The tandem of Chad Johnson and Rudi Johnson, plus a new defense,Marvin Lewis,Palmer=Dynasty
FeArMeNtL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby proKrastinate » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:43 am

My league offers points per reception, but not an entire point. We give only .5 pts every time someone catches the ball. This was done in order to limit the amount of points among other things a RB could get catching the ball. I think it worked very well for us last year. Yahoo will let you use .5 pts as a scoring modifier.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby PSU All Day » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:44 am

We switched to a ppr league last year and all it did was make a few of the backs like Westbrook, DD, Tiki, Etc. much more valuable (westbrook was a top 10 back). It also made Gonzo a top 10 WR. Clearly made LT a monster.

We are a TD heavy league (bonuses for length of TD) and it made no difference in the value of RB's. In fact there have been discussions about instituting a ceiling on the # of RB's that could be drafted by any one team (voted down thankfully).

So to summarize, it makes receiving backs more valuable, it makes the top TE's more valuable, it makes almost no difference in the receivers.
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Jimboozie » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:50 am

PSU All Day wrote:We switched to a ppr league last year and all it did was make a few of the backs like Westbrook, DD, Tiki, Etc. much more valuable (westbrook was a top 10 back). It also made Gonzo a top 10 WR. Clearly made LT a monster.

We are a TD heavy league (bonuses for length of TD) and it made no difference in the value of RB's. In fact there have been discussions about instituting a ceiling on the # of RB's that could be drafted by any one team (voted down thankfully).

So to summarize, it makes receiving backs more valuable, it makes the top TE's more valuable, it makes almost no difference in the receivers.

I disagree with the last thing you said. It makes a difference among wrs. Last year guys like Keyshawn Johnson, Issac Bruce, and Hines Ward didnt score a whole lot of tds but had big weeks because they had a lot of catches. I owned Bruce and he was huge, it seemed like every game he would get 7+ catches. These types of "high reception total" receivers have increased value. On the other side, a guy that catches 2 passes for 1 td decreases in value.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bellybrother » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:57 am

Jimboozie wrote:
PSU All Day wrote:We switched to a ppr league last year and all it did was make a few of the backs like Westbrook, DD, Tiki, Etc. much more valuable (westbrook was a top 10 back). It also made Gonzo a top 10 WR. Clearly made LT a monster.

I disagree with the last thing you said. It makes a difference among wrs. Last year guys like Keyshawn Johnson, Issac Bruce, and Hines Ward didnt score a whole lot of tds but had big weeks because they had a lot of catches. I owned Bruce and he was huge, it seemed like every game he would get 7+ catches. These types of "high reception total" receivers have increased value. On the other side, a guy that catches 2 passes for 1 td decreases in value.

Yes indeed Jimboozie. We play .5 pts/rec and it does all the things mentioned above. I especially like the fact that it adds value to the top TE's and the posession rec's. It's also good that it changes up RB rankings as stated above. Makes the draft more fun and the strategies more diversified.

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby joester » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:53 pm

The money league I have been in for some thime also uses ppr. I draft almost as if it wasn't ppr except I make an attempt to avoid RBs that do not catch the ball. (I would take Edge/DD over Jamal Lewis). I also try to make it a point to take #1 WRs on their teams and who have a track record of catching 80-90+ balls. I usually will not reach for a TE but if Gonzo/Gates is there in the 4th I would scoop them also.
GEAUX SAINTS!!!!
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Santacruzer » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:12 pm

I love PPR leagues.

Before I played my first one, I was skeptical and unsure about it, but after, I will never go back! ;-D
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The_Commish » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:12 am

I've done and enjoyed, ..1 per RB reception, 25 per WR reception and .50 per TE reception
The_Commish
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk