How Does 6 Points for TD Passes Affect Drafting? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How Does 6 Points for TD Passes Affect Drafting?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How Does 6 Points for TD Passes Affect Drafting?

Postby Shockizzle » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:33 pm

I'm in a league that counts all touchdowns as 6 points. What affect does this have on drafting? Do quarterbacks go a lot earlier? Would you use a first rounder on guys like Culpepper or McNabb?
Shockizzle
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tiki » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:42 pm

Depends on league size, but in the League I was in last year we gave 6 pts. per TD for QB's, C-Pep and Manning were #1 & #2 with most overall points, so if they are to have repeats years, they might be worth a #1 pick, but I don't think I would draft a QB with my first pick. ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Crimedogg32 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:44 pm

I would factor it in less than other people. If you can get Peyton at the end of the first round take it but if not just take a QB where you would normally take them because after McNabb Culpepper and Peyton they should all score around the same.
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

QBs just don't vary that much

Postby lparsons » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:50 pm

I agree with Crimedogg32. While the QBs do go up relative to other positions, that isn't what really affects draft position. It's about the QB you get relavite the QB others have... Value Based Drafting... Anyhow, after the big three (and maybe to a lesser extend Bulger) there isn't a lot of difference, so don't change you're QB strategy too much.
Lance
lparsons
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby steelerfan04 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:16 pm

6 points for a passing td really doesn't affect the draft strategy that much, since there are still so many starter-worthy QBs out there.
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Pete123444 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:18 pm

Tiki wrote:Depends on league size, but in the League I was in last year we gave 6 pts. per TD for QB's, C-Pep and Manning were #1 & #2 with most overall points, so if they are to have repeats years, they might be worth a #1 pick, but I don't think I would draft a QB with my first pick. ;-D

even with 4 points per td manning and culpepper are 1 and 2. I think P Manning should be 1 overall with 6 per td pass. Manning and cpep had 100 points more than the next set of qb's with that scoring. That's alot. While I dont see either repeating last year's performances, I do think P Manning will have the most TD passes this coming year. Most QB's will have to have a career year to get what manning averages.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Santacruzer » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:23 pm

It ultimately depends on what the other owners are doing in your draft. We can say "Oh, don't bother taking a QB until the 6th or 7th like you normally would", but if all the other guys go grabbing QBs before the end of the 3rd, you can't wait that long unless you are comfortable with the 10th or 12th QB. But if everyone is pretty relaxed about grabbing them, you can wait.

I compete in a 6pt passing league, and Manning and CPep usually go in the 1st, and McNabb went in the 2nd last year and probably will this year as well, and the next teir trickles though the next few rounds (I was able to grab Trent Green in the 5th round last year).

I think the best advice we can offer is to just keep an eye on what the other owners are doing, and gauge it on that.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tiki » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:33 pm

Pete123444 wrote:
Tiki wrote:Depends on league size, but in the League I was in last year we gave 6 pts. per TD for QB's, C-Pep and Manning were #1 & #2 with most overall points, so if they are to have repeats years, they might be worth a #1 pick, but I don't think I would draft a QB with my first pick. ;-D

even with 4 points per td manning and culpepper are 1 and 2. I think P Manning should be 1 overall with 6 per td pass.

Actuallly C-pep had a better fantasy year than Manning, or atleast in my league!
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby evil_beaver_dp » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm

My league has awarded 6 pts/any TD and -3 pts/turnover for the past 4 years. Also yardage bonuses with fractional pts...50yds passing, 20 yards rushing, 20 yards recieving per point. I can tell you that Manning, Culpepper, and McNabb are no-brainer first round picks in that format. Moss and Owens are probably in the mix with the stud RBs for first round consideration, also.
evil_beaver_dp
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mtryanks12 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:02 pm

I don't factor it in much. In my leagues with my friends we do 50/6 scoring and QB's normally score about the same as 25/4. Now, if you're in a 25/6 league, Manning is your best friend. In that case, I would defientely factor in the stats and go for a top QB.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk