Ranking the Head Coaches. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ranking the Head Coaches.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:31 pm

Interesting article.

Just a couple of disagreements:

Jim Mora will be a top 10 coach by next season - easily. He is a rising star among coaches.

They are just way off on the DET situation. Mooch was terrible at calling plays last yr and it was Mooch who instilled a checkdown-checkdown-checkdown mentality into Harrington. As a Lion fan Im thrilled that Tollner is taking over offensive play calling for the Lions.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MadScott » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:51 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Interesting article.

Jim Mora will be a top 10 coach by next season - easily. He is a rising star among coaches.

They are just way off on the DET situation. Mooch was terrible at calling plays last yr and it was Mooch who instilled a checkdown-checkdown-checkdown mentality into Harrington. As a Lion fan Im thrilled that Tollner is taking over offensive play calling for the Lions.

Agreed that Mora is another young guy on the rise. I always thought that Mooch held him back a bit as D coordinator on the 49ers, making him play it more close to the vest rather than all out attacking. I think you saw some of the results of what he can do with his system in place last season and should only continue to prosper once he gets more of his type of player in.

As for Tollner... :-? Yeah, good luck with that one.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mrider » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:33 pm

Marvin Lewis is the best Coach in the game IMO. I love the way he runs Cincy.
mrider
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:05 pm

MadScott wrote:

Agreed that Mora is another young guy on the rise. I always thought that Mooch held him back a bit as D coordinator on the 49ers, making him play it more close to the vest rather than all out attacking. I think you saw some of the results of what he can do with his system in place last season and should only continue to prosper once he gets more of his type of player in.

Mooch is one conservative bastard. That mofo will get to the 10-yard line with two minutes left in the half, run the clock down, then kick the field goal when he's up by 3 points.
---

P.S.- How is Haslett not the worst coach?

P.P.S- Forgot about Tice.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby moochman » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:41 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
MadScott wrote:

Mooch is one conservative bastard. That mofo will get to the 10-yard line with two minutes left in the half, run the clock down, then kick the field goal when he's up by 3 points.
---

Gotta fall in line with the Mariucci hating. I (obviously by my moniker) loved the hiring of Mariucci but have quickly grown frustrated by his reluctance to open it up on both sides of the ball. Tolner might help, I'll have to see it. And Jouran is not a go after 'em D Co. They have the talent to win, and maybe that is the strength of Mooch. Anything short of 9-7 is unacceptable, IMO.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:06 pm

moochman wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
MadScott wrote:

---

Gotta fall in line with the Mariucci hating. I (obviously by my moniker) loved the hiring of Mariucci but have quickly grown frustrated by his reluctance to open it up on both sides of the ball. Tolner might help, I'll have to see it. And Jouran is not a go after 'em D Co. They have the talent to win, and maybe that is the strength of Mooch. Anything short of 9-7 is unacceptable, IMO.

Don't be too quick to hate... you might end up with Erickson :~(
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:45 am

I'm assuming Gibbs was supposed to make this list at the #16 spot, right?

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wesley Walker » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:56 am

The first ranking was a bit obvious and bring though, no?

A bit like ranking the best all-time Chicago Bulls shooting guards and starting with Jordan and saying "possibly the best of all-time at any position n any team." Maybe like that.

Otherwise a good read.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Mudd » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:13 am

Yeah, as a 9ers fan I got tired of Mooch's conservitive mentality and I was happy to see him go.

But the day Erickson was hired I was WISHING we had Mooch back. But all things happen for a reason, and I'm so grateful we have a guy like Nolan at the helm.
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:23 pm

Great topic and post, Pup. ;-D
Looks like I'm a little late to the dance. Just found this thread.
Interesting as hell. Enjoyed all the comments.

For me? Off the top of my head, I'd go:
1. Bill Belichick - Don't even need to say anything.
2. Bill Cowher - Seemingly rebuilds every year working for a team that simply won't resign veterans for big $.
3. Andy Reid - Tuff. Smart. Can NOT deny the success.
4. Tony Dungy - Gruden got the credit last time. Dungy gets the credit this time. Respected everywhere. And just a hell of a nice guy.
5. Herman Edwards - A true player's coach slowly building a true team.

Most over-rated IMO?
Parcells (Lawrence Taylor was a lonnng time ago)
and
Gruden (look what's happened since the Dungy team left)

But that's just me.
~Wease
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk