Sleeper RBs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sleeper RBs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sleeper RBs

Postby getthepoint » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:46 pm

Duce Staley, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers
Fantasy football owners everywhere are sure to dislike this selection after Staley unexpectedly lost goalline carries last year to Jerome Bettis. Staley then battled knee and hamstring injuries the rest of the year. Staley, who had been an excellent receiver when he played for Philadelphia, didn’t catch the ball much at all for Pittsburgh last year either. So why make him a sleeper you ask? Simple. We think Staley has nowhere to go but up. Bettis has asked for less of a role, which means more work for Staley. We also think Staley will get more goalline carries this year, and have more of an opportunity to be a receiver. When you have a second year quarterback in a conservative offense, it only makes sense to throw more balls to your running backs, and Staley has the skills. Staley is surely going to come a lot cheaper in your fantasy draft this year and may even be available in the 5th or 6th round. He make would make an excellent 3rd or 4th running back on your fantasy roster.

Mewelde Moore, RB, Minnesota Vikings
With Onterrio Smith getting a full year’s suspension for doing his best Ricky Williams impression, an opening emerges in the Minnesota backfield for a featured runner. Michael Bennett seems to get that role by default, but Bennett is more of a sprinter than a running back, and he has also displayed NO ability to stay healthy for any length of time. However, his presence will keep Moore’s draft value in check this summer, allowing Moore to fall to you at a reduced price. At last check, Moore was going as the the 40th Rb taken in the 9th or 10th round. For someone who could very well win the starting tailback job for one of the most explosive offenses in the league, that would be an incredible value. When Moore was given a chance to play last year, he came through in a big way, far exceeding all expectations for his performance. He also has the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, which, with Moss gone, could provide a new dimension to the Vikes’ passing attack. The rookie back, Ciatrick Fason could also be an impact, but one would have to think that Mewelde would have the first crack at the starting job after Bennett.
getthepoint
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:10 am

Welcome to the Cafe - a couple interesting sleepers you have there.

First of all, I completely agree with Staley - if he somehow gets normal featureback touches and goallines, then he could challenge to be a top 10 RB. However, thats a big if. I still expect Bettis to vulture TDs, so Staley isnt worht much more than a #3 or 4 Rb pick at this point.

MMoore is another interesting pick - but honestly, I have a problem with MIN's running game without Moss. Also, Birk still is trying to recover after his 3rd or 4th hernia in the last 2 yrs. If Birk cant go, the Vikings will be in some serious trouble. The author of the article you posted suggested MIN is a premier offense - and I couldnt disagree with that more. MMoore could end up being a nice sleeper - but I doubt he will be on my team.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby tanner » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:25 am

Moore I agree with, but Duce Staley?
he gets hurt way too much to even consider him a sleeper..I'd list Verron Hayes or Bettis as a bigger sleeper than Staley..
tanner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:28 am

Eric Shelton- I say this because DeShaun Foster always seems to get injured. He has all the potential in the world, but he can never stay healthy. Shelton has the running style that the Panthers want. Bruiser back. He is built like a FB but has the speed for a RB. The kid is going to be good. Fox has also said that he will get plenty of playing time even if DeShaun doesn't get injured. I just see this guy making an impact. He could put decent numbers up, so keeper/dynasty and deep leagues..Keep an eye on him.
go_jays_go
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MadScott » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:22 pm

I do like the Staley pick there as well, especially when you see where he's being drafted.

Until they say something different, M. Anderson is listed as the #1 in Denver. Seems like he is flying way under the radar this year. He knows that system well and even if Bell is named the starter, he seemed to be a bit less than durable last year although collarbones are freak in nature. Pull a flier late on him.

I see many shying away from Ricky Williams as well. Everytime I hear an NFL pundit from the radio on the air, they talk about how the Dolphins plan on showcasing Ricky when he returns to up his potential trade value. If he's falling into the double digit rds., I'll take a flier on a previous Pro Bowler.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:31 pm

As much as I like Duce Staley, he's just too injury prone for me to seriously consider him. And let's not forget that Bus steals all the touchdowns. As for Mewelde...I am on the Ciatrick Fason bandwagon. ;-D
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk