Benson/TJones Both playable?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Benson/TJones Both playable??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Benson/TJones Both playable??

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:15 pm

with Benson going so high, and T. Jones slipping to Faulk status, and the talk of a shove it down your throat approach I think T. Jones becomes a potential no. 4 back that could be started in a pinch. Some sources speculate (Yahoo sources) that the bears might run it 35 times. with benson getting 20-25 per game most likely by week 6 or so (maybe earlier) that leaves potentially 10 carries for Jones. Plus he will catch the ball. Likely 4 or 5 times per game. Even at 6 yards per touch (including receptions-which would be longer probably) thats like 90 yards a game with big play potential for TDs. Obviously the 35 rushes per game is speculation, but if it happens then I think T. Jones could be a nice sleeper/waiver pickup even beyond the point when Benson has "fully taken over" In games where they are behind and need to pass T. Jones would appear to be the back du jour as he is the better pass catcher, and will be able to block better.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MadScott » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:59 am

I like T. Jones and the value he represents right now. I continue to see Benson coming off the board right about the same round as Caddy, Brown and Arrington, somewhere in the middle rounds, and so far the Bears have pretty much gone on record saying that Jones is the starter. Now granted, I really don't expect that to last too far into the regular season, but he did show that he could produce in that offense last year. I would draft him somewhere in the late rounds if still available and play him so long as he's the starter there.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bravos of Steel » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:22 am

Yea, I'm eyeing Benson too, and look for big things from this kid
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ngub12 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:25 am

i think he has great potential for the first half of the season but probably more for managers in leagues that start 3+ runners.
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby toofunny » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:09 am

Benson is going to be the rookie of the year, no question. He's 5x more proven then any other rookie rb, he's a work horse, and the bears are gonna ride him hard. He's ricky williams without the mental problems. I'm trying to get this kid in all my keeper leagues, he's gonna be a stud.
toofunny
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:13 am

I doubt either RB will be much of a fantasy factor this yr in standard sized leagues. Maybe a bye week fill in at best.

CHI has a very good OLine, and the rest of their team is regularly underrated - both offensively and defensively. Benson has great skill, but it wont really matter since it will be a RBBC with TJones.

RBBCs are worst case scenarios for fantasy players.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Goatwhacker » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:05 am

I don't think the Bears drafted Benson to ride the bench. I would stay away from Jones unless you are looking for a guy as a #4 back to help you out early. Over the season I see Benson getting most of the carries and Jones falling into the A-Train role if the Bears history is any indication.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby skibrett15 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:16 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I doubt either RB will be much of a fantasy factor this yr in standard sized leagues. Maybe a bye week fill in at best.

CHI has a very good OLine, and the rest of their team is regularly underrated - both offensively and defensively. Benson has great skill, but it wont really matter since it will be a RBBC with TJones.

RBBCs are worst case scenarios for fantasy players.

I'm aware that it'll likely be a RBBC, but I still think both might be roster worthy, or even startable in large leagues. The RBBC tends to kill fantasy because they are splitting up 25 carries or even less(RAMS) at times between two guys or 35 between 3(Eagles 2003). But If the bears rush 35+ times a game I think both could be successful. Benson would get the majority and be a factor, but jones would get 12-15 and some receptions, which even it out I think.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby chchelse » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:24 pm

I believe that Jones will start off the season as the starter and might give you a handful of good starts, but after that, his value will lie in the fact that he is one of the few proven backups.
If the starter, in this case, Benson, goes down, I believe he could step right in and do quite well for himself. I don't want to hijack and already hijacked thread (this thread is about Jones, not Benson) by listing the few backups actually worth having, but Jones proved last year that he is capable of putting up some good games if given the chance..............
Last edited by chchelse on Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chchelse
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Canacuna » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:50 pm

I'd reckon that it'll be a RBBC until Benson either emerges or doesn't (it took Thomas Jones what, four or five years to do something?).
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Football Talk