Worst Drafting Team of the past 15 years? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Worst Drafting Team of the past 15 years?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby treadstone » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:04 pm

Da Bears....Salaam, Enis, McNown....ouch
treadstone
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ek » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:36 pm

Da Bears have been horrid in the first round, other than Urlacher, Grossman (who the jury is still out on), and Tommie Harris (who is also too early to call) they haven't gotten one impact player, and they've had some high picks. However, from the second round on they've gotten as many good players as anyone:
1991: Chris Zorich in round 2 (a multi-year starter and a great guy to boot)
1992: Jeremy Lincolon in round 3 (who wasn't great but was a starting CB for a playoff team at one point)
1994: Jim Flanigan in round 3, Raymont Harris (who was better than Salaam although he had a short career) in round 4
1995: Todd Saurbrun in round 2, who is now the best punter in the league (although not with the Bears :-t)
1996: Bobby Engram in round 2, Chris Villariel in round 5
1997: Marcus Robinson in round 4
Not that impressive so far I'll admit. From here it gets good though:
1998: Olin Kreutz in round 3
1999: Rex Tucker and Marty Booker in round 3, Warrick Holdman and Rosevelt Colvin in round 4, and Jerry Azumah in round 5
2000: Mike Brown in round 2
2001: Anthony Thomas in round 2 (laugh all you want, but he was the ROY and was pretty much the entire offense for a division-winning team that year)
2002: Alex Brown in round 4
2003: Charles Tillman in round 2, Lance Briggs in round 4
2004: The late rounders from this draft obviously haven't gotten to play much yet, however, Bernard Berrian (rnd 3) and Nathan Vasher (4) have at least shown potential.

I'm not saying they're one of the better drafting teams, obviously they would be doing better lately if they were, especially considering that there first round picks from 1990 to 2002 were Mark Carrier, Stan Thomas, Alonzo Spellman, Curtis Conway, John Thierry, Salaam, Walt Harris, Enis, McNown, Urlacher, David Terrell, and Marc Colombo (What? You haven't heard of all of those guys?), but I do think finding that many impact players later in the draft separates them from Arizona, Cleveland, etc.

I think their general poor performance over the last decade or so is more due to injuries and poor coaching (especially on offense) then their drafts, although all those first-round busts haven't helped.

Oh, and sorry for going on so long.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby ironman » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:43 pm

Vick 4 Mayor wrote:Atlanta has got to be up there: bruce pinkins, jeff george, michael booker, trading the #4 pick in the 2000 draft to get a 2nd round pick in 1999 used on backup tight end reggie kelly

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Indy draft Jeff George?
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:48 pm

Cincinnati and Cleveland have to be two of the worst drafting teams of the past 2 decades.....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:48 pm

ironman wrote:
Vick 4 Mayor wrote:Atlanta has got to be up there: bruce pinkins, jeff george, michael booker, trading the #4 pick in the 2000 draft to get a 2nd round pick in 1999 used on backup tight end reggie kelly

You are correct.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:49 pm

ironman wrote:

Yeah.... In fact he played 3-4 seasons in Indy before being traded to ATL.....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:49 pm

Who has Arizona drafted to not make their drafts suck? I like Rolle this year but anyone remember Calvin Pace in the 1st round??
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Vick 4 Mayor » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:51 pm

ironman wrote:

you are right. indy drafted jeff george but the falcons traded 2 1st round picks for him, which i considered part of the draft

and how was the swap the chargers made with the falcons one of the best in history? if i'm not mistaken, since the falcons have drafted vick, ticket sales went through the roof and have been sold out for the last few years. prior to vick there were never any sell outs. since the trade the chargers made the playoffs once, falcons twice, and san diego never made the afc championship game.
Vick 4 Mayor
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:52 pm

VaderFin wrote:Who has Arizona drafted to not make their drafts suck? I like Rolle this year but anyone remember Calvin Pace in the 1st round??

Yeah, but they made up for that pick by drafting Anquan Boldin with their second rounder.....

Overall, though, you're right that their drafts have typically sucked....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby VaderFin » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:54 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
VaderFin wrote:Who has Arizona drafted to not make their drafts suck? I like Rolle this year but anyone remember Calvin Pace in the 1st round??

Yeah, but they made up for that pick by drafting Anquan Boldin with their second rounder.....

Overall, though, you're right that their drafts have typically sucked....

Boldin was a nice pick. The Dolphins should have drafted him that year. Fitzgerald might prove to be a good pick same with Rolle but for the last 5 years plus they don't have much to show for themselves.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk