RB -> RB -> TE!!! Please tell me why I am nuts!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

RB -> RB -> TE!!! Please tell me why I am nuts!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: RB -> RB -> TE!!! Please tell me why I am nuts!!!

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:13 am

BGbootha wrote:Heck my favorite team thus far I have mocked was SA-JJones-Gates-LJordan-Hass-Djack-Burleson. I will take that anyday.


If you're getting those guys that late, I want in your league. :-) Yes, people fell WAY below where they should have there. In a competitive league with competent owners, you should never get those players.

I am not averse to taking Gonzalez in the third round...Gates, still not sold but he is pretty good. Early fourth round for sure, late 3rd...well, depends on who's there. If nothing else, getting TG in the 3rd will mean you pocketed a "sure-thing" player. The WR's you get in the 3rd can bust.

You will need to find some value in the WR pool in later rounds or on the wire. I think WR is the easiest position to find help in because of the number of WR's that play. Of course, the deeper the league, the harder that is to do. :-o

And as was said, it'll depend on what the rest of the players at that position do. If multiple players have good years, the need to draft a TE that high lessens.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 12045
Joined: 22 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New Castle, PA

TEs

Postby tds04 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:55 am

I agree that a true # 1 WR like Chad, Owens, Moss, ect should be taken before Gates or Gonzo. Just wait a couple of rounds. You could still pick up Crumpler (my personal favorite) or Shockey in the fifth or sixth round.
tds04
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 78
Joined: 26 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bellybrother » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:08 am

Sure you should pick one of the top 7 WR's(Moss, TO, Holt, Chad, Marv, Horn, Javon) before taking either Gonzo or Gates, but what if you're picking at the end of the 3rd and they're gone? Do you then pick a TE or do you reach(IMO) for Burleson, Calyton, Wayne, Ward, Andre, D-Jax, Roy Williams? None of which I'm sold on in that pick.

Or maybe a rookie RB or Bennett or Dunn? Really, I'm asking cause I'm in that situation and I've been taking a TE there in the mocks I'm doing. And I'm really not comfortable taking one of those 2nd tier WR's there. Don't even really like taking any of them 3 picks later in the beginning of the 4th although I have been taking a rookie there lately.
Image

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 397
Joined: 7 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:08 am

Taking Gonzo in the late third has never been a bad idea.... That's typically where he has gone for the last 3 years or so.... Gates in the third is a little more risky, considering that we really only have one year's worth of stats to evaluate him.... It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that last year was a fluke.... Personally I would rather have Witten in the late fourth/early fifth than Gates in the mid-to-late third.... I think he stands just as much of a chance of putting up Gonzo-esque numbers in '05 as Gates does....
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby tanner » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:23 am

great strategy!
I take Gonzo in a scratch draft, 10 team league every year! there's still loads of talent on the board, but I take him in the second! we score 1 pt for every 15 yards, 1 pt per reception.
tds are 4 each, and bonuses for certain distances( +1 or +2)...i've won my league 3 of the past 4 years. While everyone is scrambling to get 'top' rb's , I make sure I get one myself i round 1, then get the #1 TE..Istill manage to take one of the 12-20th ranked rb's like Rudi or C-mart or Barber as my #2 rb..

point being, Gonzo,Gates, Witten give you a 15-20 pt advantage each and every week...

he's got even more value in a 12+ team league !!
tanner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 244
Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: nj

Postby bellybrother » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:31 am

Plindsey88 wrote:Taking Gonzo in the late third has never been a bad idea.... That's typically where he has gone for the last 3 years or so.... Gates in the third is a little more risky, considering that we really only have one year's worth of stats to evaluate him.... It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that last year was a fluke.... Personally I would rather have Witten in the late fourth/early fifth than Gates in the mid-to-late third.... I think he stands just as much of a chance of putting up Gonzo-esque numbers in '05 as Gates does....


Then who is a better pick in the late 3rd if the top 7 WR's are gone? That's what keeps bringing me back to Gonzo or Gates. I don't have a problem with Witten in the late 4th or early 5th, but who to take late 3rd?
Image

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 397
Joined: 7 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:38 am

bellybrother wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:Taking Gonzo in the late third has never been a bad idea.... That's typically where he has gone for the last 3 years or so.... Gates in the third is a little more risky, considering that we really only have one year's worth of stats to evaluate him.... It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that last year was a fluke.... Personally I would rather have Witten in the late fourth/early fifth than Gates in the mid-to-late third.... I think he stands just as much of a chance of putting up Gonzo-esque numbers in '05 as Gates does....


Then who is a better pick in the late 3rd if the top 7 WR's are gone? That's what keeps bringing me back to Gonzo or Gates. I don't have a problem with Witten in the late 4th or early 5th, but who to take late 3rd?


Gonzo is a fine pick.... Gates worries me some in the late third....

I think all of these non-RB's should go before him:

Manning
Culpepper
McNabb

Moss
Owens
Holt
Harrison
Chad Johnson
Andre Johnson
Horn
Wayne
Walker
Ward



I certainly wouldn't pass up any of those guys for Gates....
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:51 am

Plindsey88 wrote:
bellybrother wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:Taking Gonzo in the late third has never been a bad idea.... That's typically where he has gone for the last 3 years or so.... Gates in the third is a little more risky, considering that we really only have one year's worth of stats to evaluate him.... It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that last year was a fluke.... Personally I would rather have Witten in the late fourth/early fifth than Gates in the mid-to-late third.... I think he stands just as much of a chance of putting up Gonzo-esque numbers in '05 as Gates does....


Then who is a better pick in the late 3rd if the top 7 WR's are gone? That's what keeps bringing me back to Gonzo or Gates. I don't have a problem with Witten in the late 4th or early 5th, but who to take late 3rd?


Gonzo is a fine pick.... Gates worries me some in the late third....

I think all of these non-RB's should go before him:

Manning
Culpepper
McNabb

Moss
Owens
Holt
Harrison
Chad Johnson
Andre Johnson
Horn
Wayne
Walker
Ward



I certainly wouldn't pass up any of those guys for Gates....
I'd agree with that completely. I wouldn't go into the draft set on taking a TE in the 3rd, but have your mind open to it if all those guys are gone. I can't imagine Gonzo would be gone before then, but if I he is I'd take a look at the best WR available and probably take him, as I'd definitely worry about taking Gates that early. He had a phenomenal year last year, and I'm not convinced he's going to be able to compare to that. At the end of last year Defenses started putting their DBs on him and shutting him down. The Chargers didn't get any more passing threats in the offseason, so I don't see Gates getting any relief. I think he'll do good, but he's too much of a risk in the third.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 5603
Joined: 20 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bellybrother » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:52 am

Plindsey88 wrote:
bellybrother wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:Taking Gonzo in the late third has never been a bad idea.... That's typically where he has gone for the last 3 years or so.... Gates in the third is a little more risky, considering that we really only have one year's worth of stats to evaluate him.... It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that last year was a fluke.... Personally I would rather have Witten in the late fourth/early fifth than Gates in the mid-to-late third.... I think he stands just as much of a chance of putting up Gonzo-esque numbers in '05 as Gates does....


Then who is a better pick in the late 3rd if the top 7 WR's are gone? That's what keeps bringing me back to Gonzo or Gates. I don't have a problem with Witten in the late 4th or early 5th, but who to take late 3rd?


Gonzo is a fine pick.... Gates worries me some in the late third....

I think all of these non-RB's should go before him:

Manning
Culpepper
McNabb

Moss
Owens
Holt
Harrison
Chad Johnson
Andre Johnson
Horn
Wayne
Walker
Ward



I certainly wouldn't pass up any of those guys for Gates....


That's what I'm getting at. Excellent. I worry about Andre, Wayne and Ward at this point in the draft. Anyone else think those 3 WR's or someone else is better than Gates at this pick? Because I totally agrre with all of Plindsey's other choices. And does anyone thing one of the rookie RB's is a better choice here than Gates.....opinion varies as to which rookie will be best, so that's not what I'm asking. If you had that pick and Andre, Wayne, Ward and all the rookie RB's were available, who would you pick? In a VBD setting where a person would take best value in the 1st 4 rds then fill in need after.
Image

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 397
Joined: 7 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:54 am

M_Zimm_ffc wrote: The Chargers didn't get any more passing threats in the offseason, so I don't see Gates getting any relief. I think he'll do good, but he's too much of a risk in the third.


Actually, they kinda did with McCardell and Caldwell returning from injury.

I agree with the majority on this topic. I have no problem at all with drafting Gonzo in the 3rd. I still am cautious about Gates.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5924
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 13:30 hours
(and 35 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact