Is Saban known for being a jerk? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Saban known for being a jerk?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby koffeeboy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:42 pm

"There's no crying in Football"!
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:53 pm

From a report I've read from someone who attends the Dolphin's camp every year, Manuel Wright looked impressive. I seriously doubt that he would be cut, his first step quickness is very fast apparently.

More impressively, O-line coach Hudson gave a pointer to an O-lineman who was constantly getting beat by J. Taylor to the QB, after that he was stopping Taylor cold. Quick turnaround for the worst O-line in the league could be in store...

let me see if I can find the entire report.

Im going to break this down by position.

QB's

AJ did struggle early throw a few arrant balls and one INT. By the end of practice though his depp ball was looking very good.

GUS was extremely accurate all night, had the one pass people are talking about which the ball slipped out of his hand in his arm wind up and went 20 yards short. Deep ball was quite as accurate.

Right now they seem about even.

RB's Ricky is slimmer and has quite a bit more burst than he used to, but going up the middle he seemed to be stopped easily, I know it is thud practice but just an observation.

Sammy Morris is backing up last years camp this year, nice cuts and good balance.

Lamar Gordon did nothing all night and then had a 30 yarder where he was virtually untouched.

Travis Minor is still Travis Minor and stop at first contact either that or Bua was knocking him square on his A.

FB's Heath evans looks very good, he is big than conrad weight wise and seems to be just as fast and with great hands.

Ahhhhhh Oline

Vernon Carey did a pretty good job Matched up against JT the majority of the night. Only olineman I really saw struggle was....get this.....Seth Mckinney who Manuel Wright embarrassed a couple times. Rex Stockar and Jeno All did very well. Alabi was doing some one on one work with JT and JT went untouched to the QB once houck talked to Alabi and JT got nowhere near after that. He is quick and athletic for a guy his size. Only two of the backups impressed me much, Wade Smith at center who I think outplayed Seth. Damion Mcintosh is a pretty darn good LT not sure why they have carey in first team.

WR Chirs is chris and Boston looks very very fast and healthy. Booker did have one really pretty catch.

TE Mcmicheal is great of course and Donald is the back up enough said there.

On defense
Travis Daniels is a PLAYER. At first I really didn't like the pick and though it wasa homer pick by Saban, but he obviously knew something NFL scouts didnt. His reaction time to WR cuts is amazing.

Reggie Howard looked really bad, he got burned for deep balls on more than one occassion. Althoug he did have one pick on AJ he looked really bad reacting to WR moves.

Sam was solid as usual.

Mario Edwards played descent no good plays and didnt get beat that much so not much to report here.

S COuldnt get to much evaluation since are two staring safties are injured and didnt go at full speed.

DL Jason do I reall need to add to this?????

Roth was really pumped up although Stockard kept him in check all night. I say he was pumped up due to the fight they got in

Tim Bo looked fresh and had a good burst of he line.

David bowens was playin alot of linebacker an although a bit slower he showed good instincts.

My favoite suprise of camp MANUEL WRIGHT!!!!!! ON two seperate plays he was in the back field before Mckinney could get his hands up. Showed quite a fast first step up the middle.

LB's Zach is zach and Jonior was actually out of alot of the drills, seemed like he was assisting coaching up the younger guys. Donnie Spragan was a good suprise. And Crowder althoug athletic seems to be struggling a little with the D philosophy and was out of position a few times. LB' are hard to evaluate without full contact.

Thats it, hope to give you something similar friday night.
Last edited by Kensat30 on Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby koffeeboy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:59 pm

Wright was trying to sit out practive with tightness in his back and Saban called his bluff, told him to suck it up and play...
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby MadScott » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:02 pm

Kensat30 wrote:From a report I've read from someone who attends the Dolphin's camp every year, Manuel Wright looked impressive. I seriously doubt that he would be cut, his first step quickness is very fast apparently.

More impressively, O-line coach Hudson gave a pointer to an O-lineman who was constantly getting beat by J. Taylor to the QB, after that he was stopping Taylor cold. Quick turnaround for the worst O-line in the league could be in store...

let me see if I can find the entire report.

Im going to break this down by position.

QB's

AJ did struggle early throw a few arrant balls and one INT. By the end of practice though his depp ball was looking very good.

GUS was extremely accurate all night, had the one pass people are talking about which the ball slipped out of his hand in his arm wind up and went 20 yards short. Deep ball was quite as accurate.

Right now they seem about even.

RB's Ricky is slimmer and has quite a bit more burst than he used to, but going up the middle he seemed to be stopped easily, I know it is thud practice but just an observation.

Sammy Morris is backing up last years camp this year, nice cuts and good balance.

Lamar Gordon did nothing all night and then had a 30 yarder where he was virtually untouched.

Travis Minor is still Travis Minor and stop at first contact either that or Bua was knocking him square on his A.

FB's Heath evans looks very good, he is big than conrad weight wise and seems to be just as fast and with great hands.

Ahhhhhh Oline

Vernon Carey did a pretty good job Matched up against JT the majority of the night. Only olineman I really saw struggle was....get this.....Seth Mckinney who Manuel Wright embarrassed a couple times. Rex Stockar and Jeno All did very well. Alabi was doing some one on one work with JT and JT went untouched to the QB once houck talked to Alabi and JT got nowhere near after that. He is quick and athletic for a guy his size. Only two of the backups impressed me much, Wade Smith at center who I think outplayed Seth. Damion Mcintosh is a pretty darn good LT not sure why they have carey in first team.

WR Chirs is chris and Boston looks very very fast and healthy. Booker did have one really pretty catch.

TE Mcmicheal is great of course and Donald is the back up enough said there.

On defense
Travis Daniels is a PLAYER. At first I really didn't like the pick and though it wasa homer pick by Saban, but he obviously knew something NFL scouts didnt. His reaction time to WR cuts is amazing.

Reggie Howard looked really bad, he got burned for deep balls on more than one occassion. Althoug he did have one pick on AJ he looked really bad reacting to WR moves.

Sam was solid as usual.

Mario Edwards played descent no good plays and didnt get beat that much so not much to report here.

S COuldnt get to much evaluation since are two staring safties are injured and didnt go at full speed.

DL Jason do I reall need to add to this?????

Roth was really pumped up although Stockard kept him in check all night. I say he was pumped up due to the fight they got in

Tim Bo looked fresh and had a good burst of he line.

David bowens was playin alot of linebacker an although a bit slower he showed good instincts.

My favoite suprise of camp MANUEL WRIGHT!!!!!! ON two seperate plays he was in the back field before Mckinney could get his hands up. Showed quite a fast first step up the middle.

LB's Zach is zach and Jonior was actually out of alot of the drills, seemed like he was assisting coaching up the younger guys. Donnie Spragan was a good suprise. And Crowder althoug athletic seems to be struggling a little with the D philosophy and was out of position a few times. LB' are hard to evaluate without full contact.

Thats it, hope to give you something similar friday night.

"Where does he get his toys?"

Dude, nice score, I don't suppose there's any linkage to your sources is there? :-b

Some veeeeerrryyy interesting things to be read in there. Taking note and making changes as we speak.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby UtopianHopes » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:24 pm

One of the coaches working with Brock yelled you have to quit sucking.

Chambers ran a deep route and the ball was thrown WAAAYY long. Someone in the stand yelled out that our QB's SUCCCKK, chambers turned around walked up to the fence and looked the guy square in the face and said " Hey you think you can do better get your @$$ down here " and walked away. It was nice to see him fight for his QB's

seems like one of the most entertaining training camp I have read about or I just miss football bad.

Focus:

On the d-line the rookie Manny Right from USC towers over the other d-lineman, he's easily the tallest at 6-6. He's a big presence on the inside. I'll be watching him closely. He just may be a player for us. Traylor looked pretty good I thought. He was taking it to McKinney in one on ones. Pushing him back and just overpowering him. Roth has a lot of intensity, he got in a little scuffle with an o-lineman.

I doubt he gets cut, if anything he might work harder and be able to reach his full potiental.
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby VaderFin » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:40 pm

The story is that Wright went out in shorts while the rest of the team went out in full pads. Wright was in shorts due to the sore back and the trainer told him to do so. Saban didn't know this and tore him a new one. Saban even later apologized to Wright. As for the whole crying thing...I think the media has kinda blown it out of proportion........
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:47 am

To answer your question, Saban has a rep for being a very surly guy, not the sociable type, and one who doens't take to lollygagging well. When he was at Michigan State he was well known for working his players hard, but did get a lot out of them. Him giving any player a hard time would only be news if it didnt' happen.

He aslo was know for his famously terse post game pressers after losses. Reporters were afraid to ask him questions if they had a bad game. The presser would go like this: "We didn't play well, we need to work on a lot of things, we were totally outplayed, I have a loaded gun and a bad disposition. Any questions?...Okay". End of presser.

Not much of a charmer, but a hellova college coach.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby PACKman1144 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:05 am

IRON CHEF wrote:I don't fault Saban at all like this, pansies aren't meant to play football. :-b

You tell 'em! ;-D
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:53 am

Thanks for the camp notes Kensat - good stuff.

They didnt mention McDougal though - I wonder how he's fitting in.

I know I bashed MIA OLine a lot over the last few months, but it seems they are making strides. This team really could suprise a lot of people.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk