Moderator: Football Moderators

Rudi or Portis

Rudi Johnson
27%
Clinton Portis
73%

Total votes : 41

Postby benm3218 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:12 pm

I guess I'm approaching this argument as I plan to approach my draft.
I have finished in second place for 2 years in a row in our league, by gambling with my picks.

The guy who has won it for 3 years in a row(in a highly competitive league) has done it by drafting safe, steady, and smart. To me the knowledge that I have a great, solid back with upside potential, is better than knowing I own a back that was great in the Bronco's system.

Make all the arguments you want about o-line or new focus, the facts are that you won't know till season end about Portis. RIGHT NOW, you know Rudi is solid and reliable and has upside.
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby benm3218 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:18 pm

I'm out for the night. Please just imagine my retorts to any pro Portis posts.
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Tyr » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:20 pm

It drives me absolutely insane that people don't recognize how important a better offensive line is. Your player can have all the talent in the world, and if he's not LT2, he's going to get crushed behind a weak line.

The Redskins get a HUGE upgrade just with Jansen returning. Keep in mind that in Denver, Portis was predominantly a strong side rusher. I'd say yeah, a RT is pretty important when that's your favored side to rush to. Further, the Skins are in a much better situation at Center than they were at the start of last year.

To continue adding to what should already be an obvious point - the first half of the 04-05 year had Portis running high motion inside plays. The second half of the year Portis was very noticeably growing accustomed to those plays, and Gibbs was also becoming accustomed to Portis' slippery running style. It has also been stated REPEATEDLY that Gibbs was working on a new blocking scheme and new plays to accomodate for Portis' rushing style.

Also keep in mind that Brunell had no arm strength. Ramsey, although far from a great QB, has the ability to throw the ball deep - and with even faster receiving corps on the field, the D is going to have to give some respect to the deep throws or they'll be getting burned frequently... something no team had to worry about until Ramsey was shoved into the game. (Throwing to a receiver that was hurt the entire season, no less)

So answer this:

How could Portis NOT do better with two key improvements on the offensive line, a coach that's working WITH him to try and create more holes in the D, new plays that will take into account the running style that Portis is accustomed to, more experience with a Gibbs style offense, AND with more speed and deep threats on the field?

I may be a bit of a homer, but I'd think that unless you have blinders on, it should obvious that Portis has every opportunity to return to a 1500/10+ season once again this year.
Tyr
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby koffeeboy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:27 pm

benm3218 wrote:I guess I'm approaching this argument as I plan to approach my draft.
I have finished in second place for 2 years in a row in our league, by gambling with my picks.

The guy who has won it for 3 years in a row(in a highly competitive league) has done it by drafting safe, steady, and smart. To me the knowledge that I have a great, solid back with upside potential, is better than knowing I own a back that was great in the Bronco's system.

Make all the arguments you want about o-line or new focus, the facts are that you won't know till season end about Portis. RIGHT NOW, you know Rudi is solid and reliable and has upside.

In my best Jim Mora voice:

"Upside? You guys are talking about Upside?"

(Thank you... I am now accepting impersonation requests for the low down fee of $9.95 per voice. Buy two and the third is free).

As of opening day:

Rudi J = 25 yrs old

CP = 23 yrs old

Now who has more upside?
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Wrong Forum!

Postby WebHamster » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:01 pm

This thread has been eaten by the Webhamster. This typically happens to solitary posts that move too far away from their own kind. Please repost your question or issue in the appropriate forum where it can dwell among the herd of similar threads and where the mods will bravely protect it from the mean rodents. And please ... do not feed the Webhamster! Thank you.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

Pick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 204)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk