Another holdout...were you expecting this guy to not report? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Another holdout...were you expecting this guy to not report?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:22 pm

Ward holdout? Yeah, I'll have to see that one to believe it. Ward is the Steeler's top priority this offseason.. Ward's contract is up after this season and frankly when was the last time you saw Pittsburgh use the franchise tag. Move along, nothing to see here.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan04 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:33 pm

I'm backing up Hines Ward here. He is a selfless team player who does deserve a lot more money. Doubt it will last too long, not like the Steelers are gonna risk losing Ward after trading Burress.
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby brewmaniac » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:11 pm

Man, that sucks, he's making 37th wide receiver money. That must be terrible, only pulling in a high-six/seven figure salary, it has to be so difficult. Oh, the humanity!!

How does he pay his bills?
brewmaniac
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby koffeeboy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:15 pm

The Steelers were 15-1 with him and he was their top WR target. I don't care about his stats. Yes, this is a FF cafe... but this is not a FF related topic, so to speak.

Ward should be paid within reason at this position. He is one of their best players. And where would Pitt be without him?
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby MadScott » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:07 pm

awwchrist wrote:YES! Javon Walker holdout reference thread part THREE.

Drew Rosenhaus is killing the sport..... ;-7 :-b

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I hate these threads and the typical fan's response.

Boo Walker - Yeah Ward :-?

whatever.

The only people who should be booed are the owners who have created this environment. :-t

Huge diffence here CM, Ward is in the last year of a contract that he signed prior to being named to 4 Probowls. He's either the 32 or 37th highest paid WR in the game, I don't remember because I can't hear so well. At any rate, this guy has a legit beef as opposed to Walker who made his first Probowl last season and has no other body of work to back it up.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PSU All Day » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:33 pm

It is my understanding that Ward had spoken with the Steelers Last year before the season and was talked into coming to camp with the assurance that he would get taken care of during the year. Since he was not given a new contract he has just said that he will not let it happen again.

The Steelers have had a year to get it together to sign him and I can't blame him for saying take care of me now so I don't have to worry about it during the season.
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mnheadliner » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:16 am

PSU All Day wrote:It is my understanding that Ward had spoken with the Steelers Last year before the season and was talked into coming to camp with the assurance that he would get taken care of during the year. Since he was not given a new contract he has just said that he will not let it happen again.

The Steelers have had a year to get it together to sign him and I can't blame him for saying take care of me now so I don't have to worry about it during the season.

EXACTLY.

The Steelers need to own up to their word. This is what seperates this from the Owens and the Walkers of the world.

This is the point.
mnheadliner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby benm3218 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:53 am

WR Ward turns down Steelers' offer

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05209/544972.stm

I side with Ward on this. Why shouldn't he paid as an elite?
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:07 am

MadScott wrote:
awwchrist wrote:YES! Javon Walker holdout reference thread part THREE.

Drew Rosenhaus is killing the sport..... ;-7 :-b

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I hate these threads and the typical fan's response.

Boo Walker - Yeah Ward :-?

whatever.

The only people who should be booed are the owners who have created this environment. :-t

Huge diffence here CM, Ward is in the last year of a contract that he signed prior to being named to 4 Probowls. He's either the 32 or 37th highest paid WR in the game, I don't remember because I can't hear so well. At any rate, this guy has a legit beef as opposed to Walker who made his first Probowl last season and has no other body of work to back it up.

not really. which team can cancel their players contracts on a whim? Both. This has nothing to do with players or how much they are worth to their team or if they are nice guys or if they are well liked by the fans. It has everything to do with the fact that the owners hold all the power. This has forced an environment for players to holdout and try and get bigger signing bonuses - since thats the only guaranteed money (unless they quit of course - then they have to pay it back - just like the owners right? What do you mean the owners dont have to pay the full contract they agreed to when a player gets cut? They dont? Well is that fair?)

Ward is an upstanding player - well liked.
Walker is a punk looking for top dollar.

Who cares?

Which one will have a contract next yr if he loses his leg?
Neither - the owners will simply "cut bait". Is that really a contract?

My point regarding holdouts has very little to do with who the person is or how much they are worth - it has everything to do with indentured servitude.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:26 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Which one will have a contract next yr if he loses his leg?
Neither - the owners will simply "cut bait". Is that really a contract?

My point regarding holdouts has very little to do with who the person is or how much they are worth - it has everything to do with indentured servitude.

There it is! If you read long enough you'll find the stray common sense post. That is exactly my beef with hold-outs. It's not as much to do with what someone is or isn't getting paid, but that the contract is a total sham. While I abhor guaranteed contracts, they have to find a better way to handle their business. Demanding that someone honor (honour, for our Canadian listeners) the very contract you would tear up whenever time it serves you to isn't a contract.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk