Best Offseason Acquisition - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Minnesota Vikings

Best Offseason Acquisition

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best Offseason Acquisition

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:30 pm

We had a lot of good ones, but what pickup do you think was the best?

I think it was Pat Williams. He will allow Kevin Williams to be a more effective pass rusher, and also should free up our DE's. I think we might have one of the best D-Line's in the NFL next year.
16-team PPR Keeper League
QB: T. Romo, V. Young
RB: M. Turner, B. Wells, T. Hightower
WR: A. Johnson, J. Ford, N. Burleson, A. Roberts, J. Simpson
TE: D. Clark, J. Cook
K: R. Gould
D/ST: Cardinals
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:50 pm

I'd agree with you there. He was one of the less hyped aquisitions but he could have the biggest impact. Our D-line was pretty bad last year even with K-Will and Udeze. Pat's size should allow Kevin and Kenechi to take advantage of the offensive lines with their speed. Opposing teams can no longer double team Williams and protect their QB easily. With him if Erasmus James can pan out we could have one of the better D-lines in the league (dang, that sounds odd, the Vikings and best defensive line just don't go in the same sentence).

Ialso liked the Fred Smoot pickup. Brian Williams wasn't terrible opposite Winfield, but he got burned at times last year. Smoot's got great speed and can make the big play. Now with Brian as the nickel back if we can get Chavous to get over the stick up his ass we could have a really good secondary too. Sharper at FS isn't what he once was, but Russell wasn't anywhere near as good as people thought he was.

Now if only we could get some LB help...Boulware's a FA still. Damn that would be nice. Napoleon Harris is nowhere near the answer.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:17 pm

M_Zimm_ffc wrote:Now if only we could get some LB help...Boulware's a FA still. Damn that would be nice. Napoleon Harris is nowhere near the answer.

Oh that would be a sweet pickup. I think if we sign him we instantly become a top 10 defense, we just need 1 great LB.
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:22 pm

Vikes_Fan2823 wrote:
M_Zimm_ffc wrote:Now if only we could get some LB help...Boulware's a FA still. Damn that would be nice. Napoleon Harris is nowhere near the answer.

Oh that would be a sweet pickup. I think if we sign him we instantly become a top 10 defense, we just need 1 great LB.
Agreed, if we could get one great veteran LB in there we could definitely be a top defense. We've got a ton of young guys at LB with potential, but none of them are showing anything to merit starting them or putting any stock in them. EJ Henderson has shown the most talent and potential, but he gets burned all the time and puts himself out of position. If he could get some veteran leadership he could develop into a good LB.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:01 pm

I think if Dontarrius Thomas could learn the defensive schemes he would turn into a great LB. He has really good speed and can keep up with most RB's. He just has a problem learning what to do. He has the physical talent, but needs to develop mentally.
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Bennett4prez » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:31 am

Napolean Harris
E.J. Henderson
Sam Cowart
Keith Newman
Dontarrious Thomas
Raonall Smith

3/6 need to be start-worthy. The defensive line will be GREAT. The secondary will be NFL-Best possibly. You put in average talent for LB and you have a great defense. Actually, the Vikings will most likely use a Nickel defense pretty offense next year (4 DL, 2 LB, 3 CB, 2 S), so only two LBs would have to be that good. The linebacker situation, in whole, really isn't that shabby.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Tiki » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:44 pm

Smoot Dogg, get my vote. He is a very talented CB and with Winfield wwe have some of the best in the league! Of course Harris is a gret appick-up as well, but we lost Moss! But I still got faith in our team! ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:18 pm

I think getting Napoleon Harris in that deal was just appease the fans to try to make them think that they are trying to make our defense better by making the trade. In actuallity, Harris is no better than any of the other 5 LBs we already had, and they just wanted to get rid of Moss. As of now, we traded away one of the best palyers in NFL history for a number 5 WR and a mediocre LB. Real smart guys, real smart. :-t

Now that my ranting is over, another pickup I don't like is Travis Taylor. As if we didn't have enough recievers and didn't plan on drafting one with the number seven pick we sign another WR than never panned out. We've had too many bad experiences with them IMO, Derrick Alexander, Bates, Robinson. Just a pointless waste of money in my mind. I'd rather have a threat out there like Kelly that Taylor dropping balls.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tiki » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:59 pm

Zimm, man I think you are underestimating Harris! I think he is the boost we needed for our D! I think he will compliment our other players with a great result!
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:41 am

Tiki wrote:Zimm, man I think you are underestimating Harris! I think he is the boost we needed for our D! I think he will compliment our other players with a great result!

The guy had a total of 61 tackles last year, that's no better than any of our LBs. He isn't a pass-rushing or pass-defending threat either, he has 2.5 sacks and 0 INTs through his three year career. two years ago he had a little over 100 tackles, but in this day and age, when guys are getting 160; 100 tackles for a LB isn't as impressive as it once was. Don't get me wrong, the guy's got potential, I just think we've got enough freakin potential in our LBs already, we need production.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Minnesota Vikings