Merriman makes T.O look like Tom Brady - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Merriman makes T.O look like Tom Brady

Moderator: Football Moderators

Merriman makes T.O look like Tom Brady

Postby jmo » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:36 pm

For those who do not know this story, here is the summary. Sean Merriman was drafted in the first round by the Chargers this year. He had a standard agent (forget the agents name) and then the day after the draft, he fired his agent and hired the Poston Brothers. For those not aware, the Poston’s are the most unreasonable agents in all of sports. Rosenhaus gets more pub, but GM’s agree, that Drew is at least professional. They also agree that the Poston’s are near impossible to deal with. Having the Poston’s as an agent can drop you like a hot potato in the draft.

I think this move by Merriman/Poston’s is the lowest move to date in sports. I hope SD figures out a way to screw this guy.

I just wanted to get this story out because I live in LA and I never hear about it unless I listen the the SD radio stations.

John
jmo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:45 pm

What was the move?
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cooleyhigh » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:48 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:What was the move?

He would not participate in any mini camps etc... due to team policy concerning injuries.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jmo » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:52 pm

Basically Merriman secured an agent that would not offend any prospective teams. SD took him, then Merriman, fired the non-threatrening agent and hired the Poston's. Classic bait and switch. SD would not have drafted him if they knew the Postons would be his agent.
jmo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:53 pm

He's a headcase. Id be seriously pissed if I was a Charger fan.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby The_Commish » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:59 pm

But that is what this has come to, rookies get their contracts.....get franchised (yada, yada, yada).....then teams say "hey you're near 30, we can't pay you".

I don't agree with what Owens is doing. The guy signed the contract. Period, end of story. And I agree with the consensus in this case: Either he'll play for the Eagles under his current deal or he won't play in 2005. Eagles proved they didn't need him as they got to the championship w/o him.

But I don't blame the guys that get franchised & then hold out......or rookies that did what Merriman did. Merriman owes SD NOTHING....he hasn't signed with them. So he wants the most money he can get.....don't we all!!?!?!

I don't know if the topic of this thread meant what Merriman did is worse than what T.O. is doing, because IMO it's not by a long long shot. T.O. gave his signature. Merriman hasn't.
The_Commish
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby koffeeboy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:51 pm

Merriman needs to call his new teamie "Ole Man Rivers' and find out what it is like to hold out.

SD probably won't budge, nor should they.

They take Rivers "# 1" overall last year and send him to the bench... Does Merriman think they wouldn't be willing to do the same to him?
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Dplymkr88 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:05 pm

As soon as I heard about this my first thought was "Thank God the Boys took Ware."
Still looking for that Eagles trophy case...

Dplymkr88
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 24)

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:29 pm

How is he a headcase? He was smart enough not to hire the Postons until after the draft, and he obviously wanted agents that would get him a stellar contract (see Kellen Winslow Jr.)

None of the guys around his draft position have signed yet, so I wouldn't be too concerned unless he's holding out nearer to pre-season.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby UNDEFEATED » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:55 pm

Isn't Shawn Merriman on that reality show on spike tv?

where he is trying to find an agent. Gonzo is the host.

i could have sworn merriman was the prize-player for all the would-be sports agents.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk