Clarett - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Clarett

Moderator: Football Moderators

Clarett

Postby houstonherdfan » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:55 pm

Jul 28 ESPN.com's John Clayton reports Denver Broncos rookie RB Maurice Clarett signed a four-year contract in which he gave up the $410,000 of guaranteed money in order to secure an incentive-laden deal that could eventually earn him $7 million. The complex contract included more than $5 million of performance escalators. Specifics of the contract are sketchy, but it works something like this. If Clarett gains 1,000 yards, he could hit an escalator worth more than $1 million, almost three times what he would have made in a signing bonus given to him by the Broncos. The $410,000 the Broncos were willing to give him Thursday, July 28, was put into workout bonuses in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Looks like Clarett is banking (no pun intended) on earning the starting job quickly.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hayesb26 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:50 pm

Well, if Clarett does ever get the job, he should be able to earn those incentives behind that line in Denver.

Of course, after one good year in 2005 or 2006 he'd be holding out for a bigger deal, after just signing the four-year one.
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:39 am

hayesb26 wrote:Well, if Clarett does ever get the job, he should be able to earn those incentives behind that line in Denver.

Of course, after one good year in 2005 or 2006 he'd be holding out for a bigger deal, after just signing the four-year one.

1 million for 1000 rushing yards behind Denver's line seems like a pretty good bet.

And yeah, if Clarrett tried to renogiate after one very successful year in Denver, they'd trade him for another player they need, be they CB or other.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:16 am

Has any player ever been happy with an incentive laden contract? Have to say one thing though, the dude has a lot of confidence.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby VaderFin » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:19 am

If ever there was a player I hoped did not succeed this guy would be that one.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:25 am

moochman wrote:Has any player ever been happy with an incentive laden contract? Have to say one thing though, the dude has a lot of confidence.

Wasn't Ricky Williams first contract some absurd incentive based contract negotiated by the 2 live Crew rapper? who subsequently was fired immediately. I don't recall that contract working out for Ricky too well.
I did hear about this deal with Clarett today on Mike and Mike.
He's and idiot, at best he's the 3rd RB no way he gets 1000 yds.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:29 am

Redskins Win wrote:
moochman wrote:Has any player ever been happy with an incentive laden contract? Have to say one thing though, the dude has a lot of confidence.

Wasn't Ricky Williams first contract some absurd incentive based contract negotiated by the 2 live Crew rapper? who subsequently was fired immediately. I don't recall that contract working out for Ricky too well.
I did hear about this deal with Clarett today on Mike and Mike.
He's and idiot, at best he's the 3rd RB no way he gets 1000 yds.

Uh, that was Master P who "negotiated" that brilliant deal for Ricky. ;-7
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby charliebrown327 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:11 am

Seems to me that if I had a system that turned any RB into gold, I wouldn't be too inclined to play a guy with an incentive-laden deal over a guy without one who could rack up the same numbers.
charliebrown327
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby brdmaverick » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:27 am

charliebrown327 wrote:Seems to me that if I had a system that turned any RB into gold, I wouldn't be too inclined to play a guy with an incentive-laden deal over a guy without one who could rack up the same numbers.

I was actually thinking the same thing.

I guess if any good comes from this it will be that Clarett will have great motivation to succeed on the football field. There is nothing that drivers some players more than the size of their wallet.
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk