Let's figure out these mid-round RBs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Let's figure out these mid-round RBs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby MadScott » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:35 pm

He wasn't asked to catch the ball alot in college, that doesn't necessarily mean that he can't do it or isn't good at it. From the times that I did watch him, I'd say he was an on par pass receiver. I think with reps and practice, he will only get better.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Vick 4 Mayor » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:17 pm

Foster- handcuff him with shelton late in the draft and you've locked up a top 15 rb

Dunn- duckett isn't much of a threat until dunn shows signs of injuries. contrary to popular belief, duckett has never once, not once, been used as a goalline back. whichever back begins the drive in atlanta always finishes the drive.

Arrington- look what emmit smith did last year. if shipp couldn't hold off emmit, no way arrington loses job to him.

Benson- they didn't draft him to sit on the bench all season. if TJ was a solid back last year, imagine what benson will do. muhammad will help open up the run game a little. should be starting shortly into the season.

Henry- will get about half of the carries and goalline duty with brown around, all the carries once brown gets injured.

Barlow- somebody has to be given the ball in san fran, and with a rookie qb slated as starting, that person is barlow.

Suggs- low risk/high reward. at worst he'll get a decent amount of the workload and he's shown what he can do with it. if he can ever become the clear cut starter he'd be a great fantasy option. don't think dilfer will be throwing much.

Cadillac- a lot of question marks surrounding him. tampa's o-line isn't going to be doing him any favor either.

Staley- he'll get most of the yards, but bettis is a beast inside the 20.

----------------------------Wouldn't touch anyone below this line

Bennett- even if he stays healthy, which he never does, moe will get the td's. fason and moore will also be breathing down his neck the entire year.

LJ- won't get any carries as long as priest is healthy. not drafting a backup rb to be my #3 rb

Ronnie Brown- that entire team is a fantasy death trap

Chris Brown- injury prone and at best gets half the yards and vert few of the td's

Taylor- he can hardly run right now
Vick 4 Mayor
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: Let's figure out these mid-round RBs

Postby UNDEFEATED » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:58 pm

I am ranking them through reliability to produce points, not potential.

Players less likely to have PT fall to the bottom of the list.

Dunn The guy was a beast for the 1st 6 weeks and the last 4 weeks. Probably ranking in the Top 7 rbs during that time span.

Foster He is talented, when on the field...With SDavis out. The offense is his. GJones and Periman are simple insurance plans and body armor.

JJ Arrington...the kid looks good. And Arizona is looking like a fantasy farm. Zero rb competition.

Caddy WilliamsbPittmans days are over. If Caddy is as good as all the reports. Pittman is toast. Unfortunately Pittman is an awesome physical specimen. So he will dip into Caddies carries.

Duce...He gets all the carries between the 10's. Tons of yardage. Started last season with 4 straight 100 yard games. I expect him to get more TD chances this season. TDs help heal the injuries and mental-injuries. Sleeper Keeper.

Henry/CBrown CBrown has TOP TEN TALENT. Too bad he doesn't know how to stay in the game. Brown will go down. Henry will rule Titanville. Either way Henry is the prototypical RB for Norm Chow.

Suggs Crennel will see the light and only focus on one RB. Suggs will win the job outright. Romeo will have flashbacks of Dillon getting all the carries and invision SUGGS.

Cedric Benson T Jones is too talented for Benson to hog the ball all to himself. RBBC sucks ass.

Ronnie Brown RBrown should be ahead of Benson and Suggs. But ALL-STUD-WORKHORSE Ricky Williams will be getting carries to all our dismay. CMON ITS RICKY WILLIAMS. How are they not going to give him a good chunk of the load?

BennettMinny never uses one rb. NEVER. So look for lots of RBs in this backfield. AGAIN.
Ronnie Brown

LJ....least likely to get any PT. Getting less than 8-10 carries game usually doesn't warrant #3/4 rb roster space. But he is the greatest of all handcuffs this season. Why else would people be taking him before the 7th round of redraft leagues?

FREE BAGEL, Where is your response?
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:09 pm

Flux wrote:Does anyone have any info on Arringtons receiving skills? I dont know tons about him

All info coming out of Sirius Satellite radio is stating that Arrington is going to be heavily involved in the passing game in Zona. Makes sense that they would swing out the rookie instead of trying to have him stay in and block.

I could easily see 40-50 receptions for Arrington, that is the main attraction to having him as a 3rd RB IMO..
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby UNDEFEATED » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:13 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
Flux wrote:Does anyone have any info on Arringtons receiving skills? I dont know tons about him

All info coming out of Sirius Satellite radio is stating that Arrington is going to be heavily involved in the passing game in Zona. Makes sense that they would swing out the rookie instead of trying to have him stay in and block.

I could easily see 40-50 receptions for Arrington, that is the main attraction to having him as a 3rd RB IMO..

Absolutely Kensat...3RB with catching skills is yummy...in mocks that i have been in...JJ is creeping up the ladder.5th round and slowly to the front of the 4th round. Stop with that. I need him to last to the mid to late 4th round.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby tanner » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:24 am

Warpigs wrote:1. C. Williams - With his signing today, he'll be in camp for the duration of practices and preseason games. Gruden loves this guy and will give him every opportunity to succeed. While others worry about Pittman taking carries, I personally think that Pittman will be an asset to CWilliams owners because he can be used in situations to help keep the rookie RB fresh all season. The Bucs will be a run-first offense, and Cadillac will easily outdo the other rookie RB.

2. JJArrington - The Cardinals will have a surprisingly good offense this season, and get to play two games each against questionable defenses such as St. Louis, Seattle and San Fran. Shipp being healthy will be an asset here (see my Pittman comments above).

3. K. Barlow - While questions abound about Barlow's pathetic yards per carry last season, you try running into a brick wall time and time again at the line of scrimmage and try to beat the 3.7 yard average. I have a gut feeling that Barlow bounces back this season and keeps Gore at bay. While an arguement could be made that the Niners haven't done much of anything on offense to make defenses stop stacking the box, I believe that Alex Smith will start and defenses will be focused on him. Expect Barlow to be Smith's safety valve, and some statistical rebound this season.

4. D. Foster - News about Stephen Davis' injury being worse than expected immediately improved Foster's stock. While Carolina may have Shelton waiting in the wings, we all know what Foster can do when healthy -- and Shelton won't be a factor as long as Foster keeps chugging. So this all boils down to whether or not DeShaun can stay healthy. While some may think that this is one very big "If", I think that this is where Shelton does help -- that Carolina can use him with confidence to help maintain Foster's health. Last year, Goings was an afterthought until Carolina was forced to play him. Shelton's presence will be factored into strategies to keep Foster fresh, but it won't cut too far into Foster's production to drop him down this list.

When did Foster ever 'chug' along?? In 2003, he had just 113 rushes for an lousy 3.8 ypc avg..Of the 113 rushes, 38 of them came in the 3 playoff games. Of the games in which he carried more than 10 times (5 of them), he averaged 3.7 per carry...This on a team that played one of the NFL's easiest schedules in 2003.

He's a complimentary RB, NOT a fulltime starter. Shelton is going to take Davis' spot, and Foster will do what he does best, i.e., change of pace, receptions out of the backfield, etc..
look for Shelton to challenge for Rookie of the Year honors. That team loves to run the ball..
[/quote]
tanner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:14 am

Great thread. I pretty much agree with Plindseys list.

Those of you ignoring whats happening in CHI and are ranking Benson up near the top of this list are going to regret it. Pay attention to whats happeneing there. Benson has now missed nearly 2 weeks of practices. Lovie had said TJones was the starter before Benson was a holdout. Now, lots of things can change between now and the season, but obviously he isnt in a better situation than some of these other guys.

As for Arrington in ARI - I think it would be a massive mistake for Green to keep the rookie in during passing plays. ARI's biggest weakness is their OLine and Mrs. Warner's husband is their QB. What do you think the defensive gameplan will be against ARI? Blitz on first down, blitz on second down, blitz on third down... If ARI doesnt have a RB who can pick up the blitz on passing downs, Warner may not get through a game - let alone 16. Personally, I dont see him playing more than 6-8 games this yr regardless of if they have a decent blocking back or not. I can see Arrington beginning to drop in my rankings slightly because of this aspect of the offense - I dont think he will be an everydown back for ARI.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bellybrother » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:35 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Great thread. I pretty much agree with Plindseys list.

Those of you ignoring whats happening in CHI and are ranking Benson up near the top of this list are going to regret it. Pay attention to whats happeneing there. Benson has now missed nearly 2 weeks of practices. Lovie had said TJones was the starter before Benson was a holdout. Now, lots of things can change between now and the season, but obviously he isnt in a better situation than some of these other guys.

As for Arrington in ARI - I think it would be a massive mistake for Green to keep the rookie in during passing plays. ARI's biggest weakness is their OLine and Mrs. Warner's husband is their QB. What do you think the defensive gameplan will be against ARI? Blitz on first down, blitz on second down, blitz on third down... If ARI doesnt have a RB who can pick up the blitz on passing downs, Warner may not get through a game - let alone 16. Personally, I dont see him playing more than 6-8 games this yr regardless of if they have a decent blocking back or not. I can see Arrington beginning to drop in my rankings slightly because of this aspect of the offense - I dont think he will be an everydown back for ARI.

I understand your point, but aren't blitzing def's the perfect target for screens and swing passes? That to me, seems tailor made for a RB like JJ. The way I see it is that that might be the only way for Zona to slow down the opposing pass rush.....keep burnin 'em.

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:15 am

bellybrother wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:As for Arrington in ARI - I think it would be a massive mistake for Green to keep the rookie in during passing plays. ARI's biggest weakness is their OLine and Mrs. Warner's husband is their QB. What do you think the defensive gameplan will be against ARI? Blitz on first down, blitz on second down, blitz on third down... If ARI doesnt have a RB who can pick up the blitz on passing downs, Warner may not get through a game - let alone 16. Personally, I dont see him playing more than 6-8 games this yr regardless of if they have a decent blocking back or not. I can see Arrington beginning to drop in my rankings slightly because of this aspect of the offense - I dont think he will be an everydown back for ARI.

I understand your point, but aren't blitzing def's the perfect target for screens and swing passes? That to me, seems tailor made for a RB like JJ. The way I see it is that that might be the only way for Zona to slow down the opposing pass rush.....keep burnin 'em.

yes and no. The NFL has gone away from that counteroffense a bit. It became overused and defenses would expect it and zone blitz and still be able to stop the screen. Now offenses are countering against the blitz with the hot route slant - the quick drop and pass. ARI can address the blitz in this way - but its extremely dangerous to go to a hot route frequently since it can be jumped.

Also - its my understanding that JJ isnt that good of a reciever, so they arent quite built for it right away. Arrington could suprise and be a very good reciever, and that would help this offense that much more, but I just dont see it happening. I have been wrong once or twice before though. ;-)

This is all speculation of course - Im just speculating that ARI's OLine isnt good enough to protect their QB, and having a rookie RB back there and a QB known to have serious mobility issues and has the reputation he can be shaken only compounds that problem.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Amazinz » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:39 am

I think the screen pass is more prevalent now than ever. There are also more variations of it now than have ever been used at the pro level. The prevalence of bubble screens and double screens are a direct response to the zone blitz. I'd love to see a break down of calls in the NFL because I don't know what the numbers say but I have trouble believing teams are moving away from screens when it is a staple at the pro level now more than it ever was (in the last 25 years anyway). How this effects ARI I have no idea. :-D
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk