Charles Rogers is confident - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Charles Rogers is confident

Moderator: Football Moderators

Charles Rogers is confident

Postby bagobonez » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:07 am

The Detroit News reports the Lions had their first training-camp practice in full pads Saturday, and WR Charles Rogers showed no tendency to shy away from contact. On one play, he lined up to his right and slid to catch a pass from Joey Harrington. The ball was thrown low to beat the coverage, and Rogers did not hesitate to go for it. He was scrambling to his feet even before he heard teammates and coaches yell, "Get up!" "I hadn't been touched," Rogers said. "I wasn't down yet. I have to get those six points." When he got back to the huddle, Rogers tapped hands with QB Joey Harrington. It was a little sign among players -- a welcome back. Rogers suffered a broken right collarbone on the third play of the Lions' opening-game victory last season in Chicago. He lined up right and dived for a pass over the middle. His collarbone snapped as he landed on the turf. In 2003, Rogers' rookie season ended during practice after the fifth game. He insists he won't worry about the possibility of another injury. He was cleared for full contact when camp opened and is wearing regular shoulder pads, without extra protection. "I'm not going to come out here and be too padded up where I can't use my ability and be able to stretch out and make the big plays. I come out here fearless," he said.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Charles Rogers is confident

Postby Warpigs » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:14 am

bagobonez wrote:The Detroit News reports the Lions had their first training-camp practice in full pads Saturday, and WR Charles Rogers showed no tendency to shy away from contact. On one play, he lined up to his right and slid to catch a pass from Joey Harrington. The ball was thrown low to beat the coverage, and Rogers did not hesitate to go for it. He was scrambling to his feet even before he heard teammates and coaches yell, "Get up!" "I hadn't been touched," Rogers said. "I wasn't down yet. I have to get those six points." When he got back to the huddle, Rogers tapped hands with QB Joey Harrington. It was a little sign among players -- a welcome back. Rogers suffered a broken right collarbone on the third play of the Lions' opening-game victory last season in Chicago. He lined up right and dived for a pass over the middle. His collarbone snapped as he landed on the turf. In 2003, Rogers' rookie season ended during practice after the fifth game. He insists he won't worry about the possibility of another injury. He was cleared for full contact when camp opened and is wearing regular shoulder pads, without extra protection. "I'm not going to come out here and be too padded up where I can't use my ability and be able to stretch out and make the big plays. I come out here fearless," he said.

To be honest, these comments scare me more than make me feel giddy for Rogers. He's not taking extra precaution to limit injury opportunities and is running around the field like a madman. While some may call this courageous, I call this risky and possibly immature. Yes, it signals that he's healthy at this point, however, how many times does he "go for it" until he breaks another bone and misses time.

I feel the same way about Michael Vick running the ball all the time -- it will cause him to be more injury-prone than QBs that take precautions.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby cordscords » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:19 am

He's been cleared for contact, and he's confident.

Makes me feel better.
cordscords
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Warpigs » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:24 am

cordscords wrote:He's been cleared for contact, and he's confident.

Makes me feel better.

Being cleared for contact makes me feel better about his previous injury, but considering that the guy has two major injuries in the past two seasons, I worry about FUTURE injuries -- especially if he's going all out before we even get into August.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby Calyxes » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:00 am

Just shows how tough he is. He is not scraed to sacrafice to catch the ball. Hope that shoulder can hold out.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bagobonez » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:04 am

If he was favoring that collar bone, I'd be scared. Those kinds of breaks supposedly heal up stronger than before. So his collarbones should be made of titanium by now.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Warpigs » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:22 am

bagobonez wrote:If he was favoring that collar bone, I'd be scared. Those kinds of breaks supposedly heal up stronger than before. So his collarbones should be made of titanium by now.

True, but there still are a heck of a lot of bones left in his body that will be put at risk every time he lays out for a Harrington duck pass in practice or preseason games.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby maddog60 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:56 am

I'll feel more comfortable when he strings a few games together without going on the IR. Until then, I'm not getting my hopes up.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mutantseabass » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:06 am

bagobonez wrote:If he was favoring that collar bone, I'd be scared. Those kinds of breaks supposedly heal up stronger than before. So his collarbones should be made of titanium by now.

He had a titanium plate inserted in his collarbone, so you are right his collarbone is made of titanium.

Rogers has never had any injury history until the freak collarbone accidents. The guy has mad skills, which pains me to say as a Wolverine fan. I like his upside for his ADP.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:14 am

maddog60 wrote:I'll feel more comfortable when he strings a few games together without going on the IR. Until then, I'm not getting my hopes up.

me too.

I still think this guy is one of the best late rd picks available. Monster upside.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk