Charles Rogers is confident - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Charles Rogers is confident

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bellybrother » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:34 am

I'll take that risk for that upside in rds 9 or 10 every time.

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Goatwhacker » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:20 am

mutantseabass wrote:
bagobonez wrote:If he was favoring that collar bone, I'd be scared. Those kinds of breaks supposedly heal up stronger than before. So his collarbones should be made of titanium by now.

He had a titanium plate inserted in his collarbone, so you are right his collarbone is made of titanium.

Rogers has never had any injury history until the freak collarbone accidents. The guy has mad skills, which pains me to say as a Wolverine fan. I like his upside for his ADP.

He's a great late round pick, I think, but I wouldn't be too confident about the titanium plate. All that does is transfer stress to the bone/titanium junction, in other words if he gets hit right the bone will break adjacent to the plate.

His first injury was a freak accident, with the second you worry that something else may be wrong. It's hard to call something a freak accident when it happens twice in the same spot.

The real test of his confidence will be in the regular season when he is going across the middle. Will he curl up like Dainty Stallworth?
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:48 am

Rogers was unaffected by his collarbone injury during camp last year too. He is a tremendously talented WR who is a huge risk with a studly upside for whomever drafts him. But I don't know that I will buy him being back until around mid-point of the season should he make it to that point.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby graphix28 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:53 am

Everyone in the NFL has a pretty big risk of getting hurt, especially WR's. The fact that he isn't worried about it and he's practicing hard, I think is awesome. He can't go out there and worry about it and be afraid to take a hit, he'll lose his starting job.... Mike Williams!
graphix28
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:18 am

I'm leaning more and more towards Charles Rogers being the leading WR in Detroit in 2005. We all saw Roy Williams last year and know what he can do, but Charles Roger is almost universally forgotten by the masses. This guy was one of the most talented WRs to come out of the draft in the past decade....
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:34 am

Kensat30 wrote:I'm leaning more and more towards Charles Rogers being the leading WR in Detroit in 2005. We all saw Roy Williams last year and know what he can do, but Charles Roger is almost universally forgotten by the masses. This guy was one of the most talented WRs to come out of the draft in the past decade....

So was Roy and BMW...

Its good to be a Lions fan. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mutantseabass » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:59 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:I'm leaning more and more towards Charles Rogers being the leading WR in Detroit in 2005. We all saw Roy Williams last year and know what he can do, but Charles Roger is almost universally forgotten by the masses. This guy was one of the most talented WRs to come out of the draft in the past decade....

So was Roy and BMW...

If all three were coming out of college in the same year i think that Rogers would have been the first selected. Size, speed, and hands is a deadly combo.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LT Blue Colt » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:30 pm

mutantseabass wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:

So was Roy and BMW...

If all three were coming out of college in the same year i think that Rogers would have been the first selected. Size, speed, and hands is a deadly combo.

It's also tough being a fan. I'd really like to grab one of those guys in our upcoming Jungle draft, but the big question is who? Rogers would be a great bet, but not if Mike or Roy is going to be the TD guy in the short yards. Oh, what to do, what to do? :-?
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mudd » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:47 pm

I think I'm less worried about his injuries than I am about the affect of the Williams's on his production.

Even as a rookie Roger's showed what he can do. If he's healthy, he should be good. But that was when he was pretty near the ONLY option in Detroit, now it's a different story. That and the QB situation.
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:30 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:

So was Roy and BMW...

Roy and Mike Williams are good and all, but I didn't consider them to be elite level WRs. Charles Rogers was on a different level entirely from these guys, even above a standout, freak of an athlete, like Andre Johnson.

I mean when you look at Roy Williams and Mike Williams you don't really consider them as the #1 overall pick in a dynasty rookie draft like Charles Rogers was. The have the potential to be very very good players, but I don't think they reach the level of Charles Rogers when all is said and done.
---

Roy is a playmaker, but he lacks some of the fundamentals and consistency to be one of the top5 in the league. He probably will develop that consistency in time, but he has a lot of things to learn in that department. I'm really not seeing the explosiveness (TO type ability) to score 15 TDs in a season without amassing huge catch numbers. I don't know if we ever see Roy evolve into an elite 90-100 catch WR or if he hovers in the 70-85 range of "very good".

Mike Williams was a brute in college, but how will his lack of explosiveness translate to the pros? Keyshawn Johnson was a force early in his career but he never ascended to the level of the top guys. Maybe Mike Williams is probably a much better version of Keyshawn, but I don't think he has the homerun ability that the best of the best WRs all have. Can this guys maintain much more than a 12-13 ypc average throughout his career?

Charles Rogers could very well be the complete package that many had him pegged to be out of the 2002 draft. He can catch the ball like nothing, he is big enough to be a legit redzone target, and he has the speed and agility to break the big plays. Granted he has very little NFL experience in 2 years, but I think we will see him on much more even playing field across from Roy Williams (in terms of receptions/yards/TD) than many people imagine.
Last edited by Kensat30 on Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk