Charles Rogers is confident - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Charles Rogers is confident

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:40 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:I'm leaning more and more towards Charles Rogers being the leading WR in Detroit in 2005. We all saw Roy Williams last year and know what he can do, but Charles Roger is almost universally forgotten by the masses. This guy was one of the most talented WRs to come out of the draft in the past decade....

So was Roy and BMW...

Its good to be a Lions fan. ;-D

Roy and Mike Williams are good and all, but I didn't consider them to be elite level WRs. Charles Rogers was on a different level entirely from these guys, even above a standout freak of an athlete like Andre Johnson.

I mean when you see Roy Williams and Mike Williams you don't really consider them as the #1 overall pick in a dynasty rookie draft like Charles Rogers was.

Really? I think all 3 were elite WRs coming out of college. You truly dont think Roy Williams is one of the most talented WRs in the NFL - top 10 or so in terms of talent? I do. Same with BMW - Im sorry, but when a guy breaks USC's TD reception record as a Fresh/Soph, he's special. He's not just a top WR entering the NFL - he really does have the skillset to be an elite WR in the NFL. The matchup issues a 6-5 230 lb WR with great hands causes is enormous in todays NFL. We'll see.

I know Im a homer, but the 3 DET WRs are simply special WRs - each one has the skills to be an elite WR in the NFL. For Detroit to be able to boast 3 of them, like I said earlier - its good to be a Lions fan.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:40 pm

I agree with what you are saying Kensat, when Roy was talking about coming out as a Jr. he was only being ranked the #3 WR in that class.

The WRs in the last 3 years coming out would have been ranked (if they were in the same draft)

1. Charles Rogers
2. Larry Fitzgerald
3. Andre Johnson
4. Roy Williams
5. Braylon Edwards
6. Mike Williams
7. Reggie Williams

Although, the reason Rogers was the #1 pick in almost all dynasty rookie drafts was because that draft was painfully weak for RBs.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:47 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I'm leaning more and more towards Charles Rogers being the leading WR in Detroit in 2005. We all saw Roy Williams last year and know what he can do, but Charles Roger is almost universally forgotten by the masses. This guy was one of the most talented WRs to come out of the draft in the past decade....

People are also forgetting that just a year ago, the word around Lions' camp was that Rogers was beating Roy out for the #1 spot without question. He was quicker, faster, making the catches, everything that you want from your #1.

Hell, this guy's probably just happy that they are using footballs now rather than bricks. :-b

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... k+receiver
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PACKman1144 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:18 pm

so was Roy Williams, but rogers is (should be) better
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:51 am

I don't see how Roy isn't considered as good a WR talent as Charles Rogers. Roy was drafted 2nd amongst WRs in the most heralded crop of college WRs in the past decade. That says something.

I forget if Rogers got taken first or second amongst WRs in his year, but a) the competition wasn't as tough, and b) they were both top 2 talents in their drafts. Seems to me they're pretty comparable talents.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:03 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Really? I think all 3 were elite WRs coming out of college. You truly dont think Roy Williams is one of the most talented WRs in the NFL - top 10 or so in terms of talent? I do. Same with BMW - Im sorry, but when a guy breaks USC's TD reception record as a Fresh/Soph, he's special. He's not just a top WR entering the NFL - he really does have the skillset to be an elite WR in the NFL. The matchup issues a 6-5 230 lb WR with great hands causes is enormous in todays NFL. We'll see.

I know Im a homer, but the 3 DET WRs are simply special WRs - each one has the skills to be an elite WR in the NFL. For Detroit to be able to boast 3 of them, like I said earlier - its good to be a Lions fan.

Too bad you still don't have anybody to throw any of them the ball...

*low blow... Sorry...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby aussieboy » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:08 am

lmcjaho wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Really? I think all 3 were elite WRs coming out of college. You truly dont think Roy Williams is one of the most talented WRs in the NFL - top 10 or so in terms of talent? I do. Same with BMW - Im sorry, but when a guy breaks USC's TD reception record as a Fresh/Soph, he's special. He's not just a top WR entering the NFL - he really does have the skillset to be an elite WR in the NFL. The matchup issues a 6-5 230 lb WR with great hands causes is enormous in todays NFL. We'll see.

*low blow... Sorry...

hahahahahaha. Good one.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mutantseabass » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:20 am

maddog60 wrote:I don't see how Roy isn't considered as good a WR talent as Charles Rogers. Roy was drafted 2nd amongst WRs in the most heralded crop of college WRs in the past decade. That says something.

I forget if Rogers got taken first or second amongst WRs in his year, but a) the competition wasn't as tough, and b) they were both top 2 talents in their drafts. Seems to me they're pretty comparable talents.

Rogers was the second overall selection and first WR off the board in the 2003 draft. Andre Johnson was the 3rd overall choice in 2003. Bryant Johnson was the only other WR taken in the first round in 2003, 17th overall by Arizona.

I remember reading an interview with Roy Williams and he had stated that the reason he stayed at Texas for his senior year was Rogers leaving MSU after his junior year and declaring himself eligible for the 2003 draft.

If Williams would have come out after his junior year he more than likely would have went after both Rogers and Johnson.

Rogers is a freak and if you seen any of his games from State the guy has amazing concentration, hands and spped. Catching a TD in 13 straight games for State was a pretty amazing accomplishment. I better stop before Moochman starts thinking im a Sparty. GO Blue!

Arguing who is better is like arguing Moss and Owens, (im not saying either as that good, yet) it all boils down to opinion and a couple more years as a pro.

I agree with you Cornbread, its a good time to be a Lions fan!

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:44 am

IMO with injuries taken out of the equasion Charles Rogers is the best of a strong group of WRs. Easily. He is the fastest, has great size and hands, plus he has the certain knack for making the big time play. Rogers has the ability to become a top five WR, even rival the Moss's & Owenses of the league. The guy is that talented.

But we can't remove injury from the equasion, so he gets drafted in the middle rounds and is a huge risk/reward player.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Goatwhacker » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:17 am

lmcjaho wrote:

*low blow... Sorry...

Not necessarily a low blow...you have three great receivers but one QB who has never been very good and another who used to be good but not lately. Detroit receivers would have done better last year with a QB who could deliver the ball. Besides injuries, the QB is a major question mark.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk