A. Johnson to learn the Z position - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A. Johnson to learn the Z position

Moderator: Football Moderators

A. Johnson to learn the Z position

Postby Calyxes » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:54 am

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_ ... PRKey=1786

Same face, different place: It’s no secret that Andre Johnson will be the focal point of most defenses the Texans face this season. So when the offensive coaches were formulating their strategy this off-season, they looked into ways they could make it as difficult as possible for the opposition to defend No.80.

The result, at least this far into training camp, has been an attack featuring Johnson in constant motion. Wherever he lines up in the beginning of a play, chances are he won’t be there at the time of the snap. To make it harder for teams to double team Johnson, offensive coordinator Chris Palmer changed the wide receiver’s position.

“We went into the off-season with the thought that we were going to move Andre to the Z position, which is on tight end side,” Palmer said. “The first two years he played the X wide receiver, which is a single receiver side. Now that gives us the ability, with him off the line of scrimmage, to move him and put him in different spots. He’s adjusted very well in the spring and he’s doing a good job.”

Johnson, the Texans’ lone Pro Bowler in 2004, is noticeably more confident entering his third year. Palmer has seen his fair share of prodigies in 15 seasons of NFL coaching. As far as he is concerned, Johnson shouldn’t have any trouble with his new role in the offense.

“Here’s a guy who got 975 yards his first year, was an All-Pro his second year and now, with the ability to move him around, will make it more difficult for the defense to zero in on him,” Palmer said. “The sky is the limit for this guy. He’s a very talented individual and we expect him to have a big year.”

This should help him this year. I agree with his athletic ability he should be moving around more. The more positions he knows the more dangerous he can become.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:07 am

I still don't see him jumping into the top 5 until David Carr becomes better and the Titans start throwing at the goal line more often.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Warpigs » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:18 am

bagobonez wrote:I still don't see him jumping into the top 5 until David Carr becomes better and the Titans start throwing at the goal line more often.

Was he traded recently? :-? ;-D

Personally, I wish the Texans front office did their job in getting a viable second WR to help Johnson succeed instead of laying it all on him to learn a new role in the offense.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:50 am

Still have to have him slightly overrated in fantasy right now. 1150 and 6 last yr and he's pushing top 5 WRs? Nah - I'll pass.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:56 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Still have to have him slightly overrated in fantasy right now. 1150 and 6 last yr and he's pushing top 5 WRs? Nah - I'll pass.
Agreed. He's very talented and is a great WR but people are drafting him around where the top five guys are going. I just don't see him producing that much to warrant being picked right after Holt and Harrison. In a dynasty league maybe, but anything else and I'll pass.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby VaderFin » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:01 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Still have to have him slightly overrated in fantasy right now. 1150 and 6 last yr and he's pushing top 5 WRs? Nah - I'll pass.

As much as I like AJ, I have to agree. Not because of his talent..he has top 5 talent...but because of his surrounding support group--or lack of one.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jmo » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:49 pm

Isn't there something about WR in their third year. They tend to do real well. I've never even seen the dude play but I'll be keeping my eye on him this season.
Roster: 12 Team League
QB: Palmer, Plummer
RB: S. Alexander, J. Lewis, J Jones, S Jackson, Gado
WR: Mason, R Williams, Engram, Chatman, Ferguson
TE: Witten
DEF: Jax
K: Stover
jmo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:08 pm

He's certainly a very talented player on the rise, but I think grabbing him in the top 5 or 6 is a reach.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:10 pm

jmo wrote:Isn't there something about WR in their third year. They tend to do real well. I've never even seen the dude play but I'll be keeping my eye on him this season.

WRs typically increase their production level in their 3rd year. Most logically it seems to be related to how tough it is to adjust to NFL level of play, and the learning curve WRs endure.

AJ is not going to be top 5, but top 10 is possible. Its not so much Carr that's holding him back, but Carr's O-line. I think they may very well have the worst pass protection in the entire league.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:01 pm

where does everyone have him ranked then? i have him at 8. How does he compare to Hines Ward, Nate Burleson, Micheal Clayton and D Jax?
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk